I've solved it!

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
isnoop

I've solved it!

Postby isnoop » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:13 am

I've done it. It wasn't hard, really. I've just solved our pilot population problem once and for all.

Being a recently minted pilot, I feel I'm justifiably proud. (A condition I'm told never fades) If my wife would let me, I'd daily wear a shirt that boasted "Why yes, I am a pilot". Short of that, I carry my pilot's license around in my wallet just waiting for a moment when I can whip out that blue and green card. The problem is, that moment never comes.

The idea is this simple: Tell the FAA to put my damned photo on my license!

Imagine over half a million pilot ambassadors waltzing around the country flashing their pilot's licenses every time they rented a car, bought a beer, signed for a package, wrote a check, and flew commercially. I guarantee this would start many interesting conversations and would quickly lead to an increased awareness of aviation and a not insignificant number of new PPL and SPL starts.

What is the FAA waiting for, anyway... Didn't congress clarify that the driver's license combo wasn't what they meant when they mandated photo IDs for pilots? Every other state and government agency issuing IDs has this marvelous photo technology so it can't be that hard or expensive. Perhaps worst of all, we're just one USA Today journalist away from a sensationalist 4-part exposé focused on how anyone who gets their hands on that anonymous card could sneak their way into a 747 cockpit (bar reality, this is news) and that even cosmetologists have their photos on their certs.
--Ian

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: I've solved it!

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:01 am

As a way to make pilots more visible and "human" is the best argument I've heard yet for adding a pic to the pilots license.

Thanks.

// Jack

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:02 am

I wonder if TSA would accept my pilot's licens (if it had a picture) as ID at the checkpoint? I'm really warming up to this idea.

// Jack

ruckin

Postby ruckin » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:11 pm

I have heard rumors but not personally confirmed that the TSA issued airport access card works... sometimes.

;)

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:49 am

Jack, I'd think using your pilot certificate as ID, if it had a picture, would be a sure-fire way to get patted down and/or miss your flight.

(Of course, depending on the TSA stooge doing the pat down, that could be a good thing...)

Jeb

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:00 am

Jeb,

You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:23 am

Jeb wrote:Jack, I'd think using your pilot certificate as ID, if it had a picture, would be a sure-fire way to get patted down and/or miss your flight.
Jeb

I may have to start flying commercial, I haven't had a decent pat down in months. How pathetic is that?

As for the Group "W" bench, well, it's not to late to find your real friends. We are still there.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Launchpad

Postby Launchpad » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:20 am

This is a great idea!!! How soon can I get new photo Pilot licenses. My drivers license will only come out for state patrol officers. For all the rest here is my Federal photo ID. Deal with it, and YES, I AM A PILOT!
Isnoop is right. I will resent this to FLYING, AOPA,EAA, and anyone else I can think of. Way to go ISNNOP

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:26 pm

I think that it is a great idea. I traveled with another pilot buddy of mine a couple of years ago on an airline. He didn't take out his driver's license when they asked for ID. He took out his concealed handgun permit with his picture on it. He would probably start using his pilot certificate instead. So would I.

Landis

Postby Landis » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:27 pm

jackhodgson wrote:I wonder if TSA would accept my pilot's licens (if it had a picture) as ID at the checkpoint? I'm really warming up to this idea.

Back around 2003 the TSA rules said that you had to have a "State or Federally issued ID". I had some extra time before my flight so I decided to use my old-school paper FAA license to get through the checkpoint. It took me about 20 minutes of standing around, talking to supervisors, and telling them that my driver's license accidentally was checked with my baggage, but they let me use it. And the next time I flew commercial I noticed that the types of ID accepted were clarified to read "State or Federally issued PHOTO ID".

Return to “Other Topics”