Things that don't fit anywhere else.
Soccer-Jock

Re: brush up on your communication skills

Postby Soccer-Jock » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:21 pm

I got 9 out of 10. It's not pronounced "Kay-Beck"? :D

turbo

Postby turbo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:52 pm

9 out of 10, great communicator. must be IFR. hmmm.
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

Landis

Postby Landis » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:20 pm

9 out of 10 and I also want to disagree with their spelling of the proper pronunciation of Q.

Now that I look it up in the AIM it does say "KEH-BECK" but I still hear that as KAY-BECK. In fact, what's the difference between KEH and KAY? I mean should I be saying KEH as "KEY" or as "KAY"? :)

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:44 pm

Landis wrote:9 out of 10 and I also want to disagree with their spelling of the proper pronunciation of Q.

Now that I look it up in the AIM it does say "KEH-BECK" but I still hear that as KAY-BECK. In fact, what's the difference between KEH and KAY? I mean should I be saying KEH as "KEY" or as "KAY"? :)

I think it's supposed to be more like the KEH sound in the first part of "KEnnedy" or "KEndra"

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:30 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:I think it's supposed to be more like the KEH sound in the first part of "KEnnedy" or "KEndra"

I'm sure you're probably right.
I'm reminded of a VERY experienced, extremely calm (and frankly, one of my favorite) tower controllers at St. Pete KPIE. I chuckle a bit each time I hear him clearly pronounce 5, as he properly should, "fife". Why I chuckle is because I know it's correct, yet no one does it. In fact I so rarely hear it pronounced correctly (well, as per AIM) that it stands out when you hear it.

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:44 pm

turbo wrote:9 out of 10, great communicator. must be IFR. hmmm.

IFR... No.
Great communicator? I'd like to think so, but I doubt any better than most. :D
In fact, radio com was a very difficult thing for me to overcome. How I did it was running a scanner, tuned to tower Freq., in my garage workshop 24/7. Repetition, repetition, repetition. And you learn a few things. Like order of clearance read-backs, etc. In All it made a huge difference. And now I'm highly confident when I key that mic. Bravo operations don't phase me in the least. Yet I know pilots with far more experience than I that avoid Bravo, just so they don't have to talk and get tongue tied. :|

BTW - that scanner still runs... Now it feeds not only my need to stay sharp on com, but also provides Dave Pacoe's St. Pete feed to Live ATC. It's a win/win.

turbo

Postby turbo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:35 pm

i seems the faa is crackin down a bit on the controllers. i have noticed more numbers being pronounced correctly.

the aopa communications seminar that is going around now is a good one. i went to it in east hartford a couple weeks ago and thought it was very good.

it is a great skill to have after flying and knowing how to operate that GPS. Image
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

Return to “Other Topics”