Man gets 5 month sentence for shining laser at helicopter

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
davidsflying

Man gets 5 month sentence for shining laser at helicopter

Postby davidsflying » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Guy in Vancouver, BC got caught after he shone a laser at a patrolling RCMP helicopter who then got it on camera and FLIR, then followed him until his arrest. Over 200 incidents in Canada last year, 30 so far this October.

On board video here -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mys6tiQo1R8

News Story here -> http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -plea.html
Last edited by davidsflying on Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

champguy

Re: Man gets 5 month sentence for shining laser at helicopter

Postby champguy » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:12 pm

Now they have to catch the guy with the $35.00 GPS jammer on his company truck who goes past the airport on the way to his girlfriend's house for a little illicit nookie.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

bruceh

Postby bruceh » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:44 am

I travel on the airlines frequently between San Diego and San Jose for business. I usually try to get a window seat so I can look out of the window. We were on approach to San Diego and I saw a bright green flash on the ground. Thinking this might be followed by a white flash like an airport beacon, but knowing the area we were over, there just isn't any airport in that area. After a few more green flashes I figured this must be somebody on the ground hitting us with a green laser pointer.

So what is the big deal with shining a laser at an aircraft? I certainly wasn't blinded by this. In fact, it didn't even rise to much more than the level of looking at a strobe light down on the ground. We were probably under 10,000 feet, so it was probably between 2 and 3 miles away. 5 months seems like a harsh penalty here for something petty like waving a laser pointer around at an airplane. Does a laser pointer "blind" the eye in the sky on these police helicopters?
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H now FLYING!
http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:44 am

I'm guessing there are lasers that do blind and or damage the eyes. Waveing one around a few miles from an airport seems pretty innocent. But a more powerful one at night at the approach end of a runway could really do some harm. Might even get a plane to land short in your lap. Oops.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Landis

Postby Landis » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:34 pm

bruceh wrote:So what is the big deal with shining a laser at an aircraft? I certainly wasn't blinded by this. In fact, it didn't even rise to much more than the level of looking at a strobe light down on the ground.

When in the cockpit the laser can not just shine through the plexi but also refract within the plexi and turn the entire windscreen into a bright green light in your face. When your eyes are adjusted for darkness and the entire windscreen lights up, this can be not only very disorienting but also temporarily blinding.

I've had it happen a couple times. Don't do it.

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:19 am

Laser strikes are on the rise, almost exponential, and they are a threat. Twice in the last year crews at our airline suffered laser strikes severe enough that they took the precaution to go to the hospital for examination. Thankfully, they recovered, but in each case their eyesight was affected enough to have to hand the control of the aircraft to the other pilot.

Most responsible telescope clubs, which use lasers to highlight various items in the night sky and aim their scopes, work to prevent such strikes. I was at a star party field trip with my son. The amateur astronomers there had a "spotter" who watched for air traffic (we were about 8 miles from LAS) and would caution everyone when an aircraft was in sight. They know that if they inadvertently strike an aircraft, law enforcement acts quickly.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Yeah, I've heard stories from aircrews. It's taken very seriously. If an incident is reported, law enforcement will respond.

// Jack

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 am

One of our MD-80 crewmembers was recently struck by a green laser while on a visual approach at night. After landing, he was unable to continue his trip due to after effects in his vision. By the time he arrived in the ER for treatment, the FBI was there to meet him for an interview!

Return to “Other Topics”