Harrison Ford crash

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
nathanwonnacott

Harrison Ford crash

Postby nathanwonnacott » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:31 am

I'm sure everyone has heard about Harrison Ford's incident by now, and I figure that there are some people like me who immediately wanted to find it on the liveatc archives. Here it is
http://archive-server.liveatc.net/ksmo/ ... -2200Z.mp3

You want to listen to 21:20 and on. Ford only actually key's the mic twice and they're just really quick things (I think he reports the engine failure and requests to land, and then he requests a different runway) so its not anything that exciting. It was sort of interesting listening to the tower communicating to emergency personnel though if you've never heard that before. Also, I didn't know prior to this that during an emergency, they close the runways until someone (I didn't catch who) declares them open again (even though Ford went down in a golf course and obviously wasn't going to be needing the runways anymore).

Also the ATC feed showed an error in a news story (can you believe it? inaccurate reporting of a plane crash in mainstream media?!?!). One article said that he was instructed to make 360 degree turns for a while; that's false. Some Cessna was instructed to just make 360 degree turns for a while so that (presumably in order to give ATC a chance to figure out what to do with the Cessna to keep it clear of the runway).

And of course the big question I haven't found the answer to is this: Was he flying "solo"?

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Harrison Ford crash

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:42 pm

We talked about this in UCAP376 which should finally get posted next weekend.

// Jack

j.

Return to “Other Topics”