Video of Dad and Daughter upside down.

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
Navionpilot

Video of Dad and Daughter upside down.

Postby Navionpilot » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:26 pm

So here is the question, The new video making it's way around the web has tugged at the heart strings of every alphabet group. I myself enjoy taking videos of my flying adventures with my daughter..... No one though has made any mention to the fact that this guy is DOING AEROBATICS WITHOUT PARACHUTES WITH HIS DAUGHTER!!!!! If this were in the US there would be a nice violation from the FAA in the mail. Also, what happens to that video when they have an issue and need to bail out, he cant get his cute daughter out of the rear seat and splat......kinda gruesome but real world.......and that may not be as cute. So, my observation is this: This guy is an idiot and cares more about his Youtube presence than his safety and his daughter's safety. It is a cute video, I will admit it, but so would a preschool skydiving trip.... gotta use your brain.....I'm curious what others think.

See you at OSH!

Jonathan aka; Navionpilot (who sold the navion so technically I'm a fraud)
"Very hard and smooth surfaces, such as obtained by the use of concrete, are not popular with pilots.- Civil Airport Construction 1928- Fly Grass!!!!!!!!!

champguy

Re: Video of Dad and Daughter upside down.

Postby champguy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:05 am

I'd like to think there is a world where folks are allowed under the rules to exercise their own judgement.
Yes from time to time things will go wrong, but maybe that is just part of the cost of the freedom we must allow others if we are to preserve that freedom for ourselves.
Can't ban stupid, maybe we shouldn't try so hard.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Navionpilot

Postby Navionpilot » Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:56 am

You are right, we should have the freedom to make bad decisions..... But in a regulated society that freedom is limited, especially when kids are involved. My main gripe was that there was no use of parachutes and in the U.S. that is against the rules. The real head scratcher was the repost of the video by the AOPA next to an air safety foundation ad :( :roll:
"Very hard and smooth surfaces, such as obtained by the use of concrete, are not popular with pilots.- Civil Airport Construction 1928- Fly Grass!!!!!!!!!

slopilot

Postby slopilot » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:26 pm

I think everyone should be able to set their own level of risk tolerance. Sometimes regulations are put in place to help people appropriately adjust that risk level. Many people feel the same way about low time general aviation pilots flying old airplanes that you feel about this guy flying aerobatics. Single pilot IFR still has a lot of incidents, and as the new owner of a complex, IFR certified airplane; I'm still trying to feel out my risk tolerance for single pilot, single engine IFR. I don't know if I'll ever feel comfortable flying extended periods of time where the ceilings are low enough that an engine failure would result in popping out at some undetermined location with mere seconds before the ground meets my airplane; but I don't have a problem with other people who are comfortable doing that and have shown through many hundreds of hours of flying that it is possible to do so safely.

I fly my nieces and nephews who are of similar age in a Luscombe, and the argument could be made that the level of risk that they incur by going out with me and boring holes in the sky is much higher than the risk they incur by playing on a playground or watching television, so they should just avoid flying around on aimless missions. But that's the best part of being a pilot.

As far as getting wound up about the use of parachutes, I think your point about the lack of usefulness of a parachute on a 5 year old is valid. The parachute rule applying to a small child is similar to the medical process we currently go through; most of us know that it's useless in really solving most problems, but it would be hard to find the support to get rid of it once it's there. I'd be careful about getting riled up about rules that allow this sort of mindless regulation.

-Nick

Return to “Other Topics”