VR and Flight Sims

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
etterre

VR and Flight Sims

Postby etterre » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Howdy,
I thought about holding off on posting until I've actually tried it, but there's only so many days left in the Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1232710074/flyinside-fsx is funding an extension for Microsoft Flight Simulator X that will allow you to use it with the Oculus DK2 right now and the Oculus Rift once you can buy one. He's already gotten his Kickstarter funded and is allowing people to download and use his Alpha version of the extension.

What are your thoughts? Would you try such a thing? Have you tried it?

As I see it, this is a substantially cheaper and more approachable way of experiencing aviation just for the fun of it. Yes, I do own a very nice computer and an Oculus DK2 - but I'm out a good bit less than $1,500 for those purchases and it's an easier pill to swallow than what I've already spent on flight instruction. In addition, the computer sits conveniently in the office, the sim plane is never broken, and there's no need to cancel a flight for weather. From what I've already experienced with the DK2, I expect this sort of thing will scratch the itch that I previously expected to fill with part 103 with a whole lot less hassle.\

Roy Etter

Scofreyjet

Re: VR and Flight Sims

Postby Scofreyjet » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:10 am

Hi Roy,

I certainly understand the attraction to flight-sim operation - how else can those of us with less-than-seven-figure incomes come close flying so many different aircraft, anywhere in the world, any time we want?

That said, there is a great deal of satisfaction to be had by flying just one type of rather pedestrian aircraft through actual air, and at the end of the flight being somewhere different from where you started. So while it sounds like this kickstarter project will result in a more immersive experience for simmers, I hope you don't completely abandon the idea of flying the "real thing" if you can possibly do it.

If you can do both, then you have the best of both worlds!

Jeff
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

champguy

Re: VR and Flight Sims

Postby champguy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:57 am

One humble plane can still go just about anywhere.
Leaving Wednesday for OSH, may have to go over Wyoming again, so much smoke up north among the really pretty mountains in Idaho and Montana.
All "God willing and the creek don't rise", and Avare and my phone and tablet work all day.
Going paperless, in a Champ. Seems counterintuitive.
See you all at the show. It is so nice and quite down in Vintage/South Forty. Drop by, bring cold beer.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Other Topics”