Airline travel _ WARNING RANT_ inside

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
Madmax

Airline travel _ WARNING RANT_ inside

Postby Madmax » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:30 am

I am not a parent never have been never will be.

Ok, I may tend to be the one to look at everything as a 1/2 full aspect. The result is I tend to end up pretty well in most situations, even when I lose, I can pull some significant good out of whatever the event was..

Until yesterday...

We,... I... decided to airline to Nevada for a number of reasons, the biggest was the time (I am involved in some stuff here in the north east where I did not want to take 5 days off to fly) as well as the cost of AVGAS about $2,000 vs the 400$ for a ticket on US Air... So ---hey sit in the back with the general population, I can catch up on some reading and I have some paperwork to do. see, making good from bad...

Now I can go on and on about US Air,... Ok I will. 15$ to check a bag? shrug whatever.. here is 15$ thankyouvery much, 7$ for food, NO Way I never eat what the they give me for free, Beer or Coke? 2$ no thanks, I carry a bottle of water, Coffee? 1$, I have N E V E R had a good cup of coffee in an airplane unless I was the pilot. (we would make Starbucks in the Learjet. :mrgreen: ) so How about this, you dumbasses at USAir, why don’t you take the cost of the food, and drinks that I never take, add it all up and subtract it from the cost of checking my bag, then I would only about $1 for me to have you lose my luggage…

But I digress, Like I said, I would be home in time to pick up the puppy from the vet/kennel, and have something to eat get some sleep and turn around Friday am, and fly to my fathers in my own damn airplane. …..

So all is well, then in Phoenix,

Transferring on to my last leg back to NYC, I am in seat 13F, window, nice, no one climbing over me to go the bathroom, if I want to sleep, I can lean against the side, Ipod on, everyone just leaving me alone.

But I get to row 13, and there are two. People. No wait, three people there already. Duddy Moo and larva.. and Larva and moo are enjoying their mid afternoon meal. IN MY FUCKING SEAT..

Me:“um, excuse me you are in my seat’

Duddy “She is breastfeeding”

Me: “ …in my seat.”

This fambily , making no gestures whatsoever at actually getting up and rearranging their piles of shit shoved in up and under their seats continue on with the meal. Now I have two choices, make a scene and throw fat ass (and she was rather large) and her 2 month old sprog out of my seat, or suck it up and take the isle seat,. Sigh..

Now for those who have not met me, I am rather broad in the shoulders, I would guess somewhere around 30”wide or so, so it is never a good thing to have me in the center seat as it is an inconvenience to the people on my right and left, and it is even more fun when I am on the isle, as everysinglefucking person bumps into me as they walk up and down the isle to go to the head. So much for getting any sleep…

So as I am leaving when we get in to EWR, Daddy, says hey thanks… I look down, (now the 2nd time I have addressed him in five hours, and say:

“it would have been much more respectable had you asked me if it was Ok, rather than just assuming, and I would suggest if you love your child you look into a child seat for these trips, look up the fatality statistics for a 121 carrier where lap babies have been aboard. Not using a child seat is signing the death certificate on your child.. goodbye…”

I wanted to go into the physics of a 100000 pound airplane, and unsecured luggage, comparing it to the 10pound baby, in a 2000 pound car, the keneitic energy in both types of crashes, or ask what he thought about the weight of his or her body squishing the child in even a mild accident, , and remind him it need not be an accident, as demonstrated by... the one bump of clear air turb we hit where two or three of the pax shrieked in-flight, where mommy almost cried as baby became momentarily airborne as she was not holding it tightly… but no time, I needed some good coffee, (that I paid 4$ for and was worth it )and I needed to see if the 15$ ransom had worked in facilitating the arrival of my luggage.

I have learned my lesson, never, ever, fly the airlines.. again..

Oh and DAve.. THE TSA guy used a magnifying glass to check my military ID, he counted the arrows in the eagle (see below photos, not me by the way..) and said 13 arrows always a good thing.

I bet he has had that magnifying glass for eyars waiting to use it....
Sum Ergo Cogito —

champguy

Re: Airline travel _ WARNING RANT_ inside

Postby champguy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:37 pm

I see what you mean by glass half full.
When I sit in the isle seat with my broad shoulders, the only person who has to get by is the cute stu and she has to hold on while squeezing past. Oh and she always thanks me with a nice warm smile and invites me to come to the party she and her younger sister are having by the pool later in the afterrnoon. God is good.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:09 pm

champguy wrote:When I sit in the isle seat with my broad shoulders, the only person who has to get by is the cute stu and she has to hold on while squeezing past. Oh and she always thanks me with a nice warm smile and invites me to come to the party she and her younger sister are having by the pool later in the afterrnoon. God is good.

:D :D :D

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:16 pm

Welcome to the good ol' .... no...on second thought, not going where I was headed...

OK, Max, we can now attribute the Mad half of your name :lol:

Lurking deep down in that glass-half-full persona is another one of us carrying around a level of good will for our fellow humans taxed daily by what seems like a disproportionate level of self-absorption in the general population...and your father figure here wasn't being rude -- deliberately -- only rude in the sense of believing the world thinks the same way as him": "No one wants to disturb a mother-child-boob-bonding moment..." And felt like he was being suitably polite and all by acknowledging what you'd sacrificed and thanked you...

At that point, I'm already past my usual initial pique and let the folks off the hook by being gracious...but that's so much because I so hate the energy drain of being pissed about something -- in the anger sense, not the British sense, of course ;) -- knowing the attitude I'm carrying won't alter anybody's Kharma but mine...

But don't blame you and agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment.

At the start of my flying 31 years ago, all it took to satisfy my itch was a step off a mountain slope or tow behind a vehicle and a few hours of soaring...

As time progressed, my satisfaction level needed the powered stuff, the ultralights, to go with the soaring...

But since getting a license in our first airplane, my tolerance for airline travel morphed into a need for personal air transportation; and when we've owned planes, the standing rule was to make any -- any and every -- effort to make the trip accommodate the family plane with the ultimate goal being to never again set foot on a common carrier.

And that desire is at the top of our drive to restore the financial capability we need to carry a travel airplane on the company books...to never, ever set foot on another airliner in revenue service...

As time goes by, part of my aversion stems from my resentment at giving my money to stupid people...the brain trusts that (mis)manage most of the carriers...even when it's a good deal my brain can't escape the fact that the money will get pissed away (and I don't have to explain in which sense "piss" is applied this time, do I 8-) ?).

Hang in there, Madmax...you know someday you'll just have to take the Human Mailing Tube again...

Dave

Madmax

Postby Madmax » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:32 pm

I just chalk it up to hermes being angtry with me for taking a 121 carrier than doing it myself. interesting that Hermes is the, God of

flight,
thieves,
commerce,
and travelers.

sigh
Sum Ergo Cogito —

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:35 pm

You know why that TSA guy carries a magnifying glass? It is so he can find it when looking between his legs.
He definately didn't get invited to the party either.

Madmax

Postby Madmax » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:04 am

champguy wrote: Oh and she always thanks me with a nice warm smile and invites me to come to the party she and her younger sister are having by the pool later in the afterrnoon. God is good.

Proof that there is no god Every single female FA I have seen in the last 5 years (on 121 anyway) couldn’t out run my 89 year old grandmother. And she uses a walker. The down side to the seniority system is so many, so very many of the FAs are senior themselves.... I suspect the major party times involve shouting BINGO or the early bird special.
Sum Ergo Cogito —

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:42 pm

Madmax
you've got to get over this living in reality thing, you will end up with high blood pressure.
I sent the wife home Commercial from Albany, NY and she had six days to get the house cleaned up while I flew the Champ home.
In my world the Champ is a great crosscountry machine.

JHWellington

Postby JHWellington » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:11 am

As incredible as it may sound, I recently had a great experience in the "human mailing tube." I was flying to Las Vegas for a clients conference and was fortunate to be upgraded to first class. Since I was so close to the front of the plane and the cockpit door was still open, I could see the pilots going through their pre-flight. I asked the stewardess if I could go up into the cockpit for a chat, she checked with the pilots and I was granted access.

The pilots were both late forties, former Air Force guys that had been with the airlines for over 15 years. I asked if it was still a good job and both agreed that it was. They were disappointed about the pensions being destroyed, but both guys said they were very happy flying for a living. When I told them I was a pilot the Captain, Bill Griffith, got up from his seat and invited me to sit in the left seat. Next he pulls out his cell phone and takes my picture! Bill seemed generally interested in what GA flying was all about and asked me lots of questions. Both pilots were amazed to hear about the instrumentation I had in my little plane. Neither seemed to have any idea that MFD, moving maps and XM weather had made into GA cockpits.

It came time for me to leave and Bill took my e-mail address and promised to send me the photos. Below is the picture and the contents of his e-mail:

Dear Mr. Wellington,

I wanted to extend to you a note of thanks for your business …. It’s rare that we get to interact with passengers as we did with you in New York, especially someone who has your level interest in flying. Your enthusiasm as a pilot is so refreshing – makes me want to count my blessings and remember my earliest joy in starting out as a professional pilot.

During our cross-country flight, I was thinking about our conversation, and couldn’t help but wonder how I would fare as a private aircraft owner/operator. On the one hand, the freedom of going when and where you want is so appealing. Plus there’s certainly the pride of ownership that goes with a quality machine …. especially one that takes such a specialized set of skills to operate. But then I thought about the things I take for granted at the airline: Our on-going training and safety instruction, our ability to write up maintenance issues without worrying about cost but still confident that those issues will be fixed; the fact that we have a dispatcher looking out for our flight from beginning to end, keeping our operation covered in regard to weather, alternates, passenger issues, and maintenance; and the knowledge that I don’t have to initiate the flight unless I’m convinced it’s safe – essentially meaning, nothing is so important that I HAVE to take off. Clearly I would need to address my own attitude in preparing to operate my own airplane – I’m pretty sure the attitude that I take in operating my car wouldn’t work! Something tells me, you have gone through that thought process, and now you’re enjoying the fruits of that work.

Have you ever heard the “One Moose Airplane Story”? The copy I carry with me in my flight bag is by John Steuernagle, and was found in the AOPA Safety Report. (Sorry, I don’t have a date.) Anyway, it’s a great story, and in a very humorous way addresses the very issue of knowing that you don’t HAVE to take off. If you’re interested, I bet you can find it online, but if not, let me know and I’ll be glad to send you a copy, probably as a jpg attachment to an email.

Again, thank you for visiting the cockpit, and for your selection of Delta Air Lines …. We still love to fly!

Fly Safe!!

Bill Griffith

Delta Air Lines

Captain / LAX

Delta Cockpit.jpg
Delta Cockpit.jpg (51.15 KiB) Viewed 2967 times

Man, does this guy do a great job for his airline! By the way, the plane took off on time and arrived 10 minutes early and my luggage was first off the carosel. Sometimes you just get lucky. :)

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:49 am

What a GREAT story. Thanks for sharing.

PropFan

Return to “Other Topics”