Identify this airplane make and model?

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
CAS

Identify this airplane make and model?

Postby CAS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:05 am

Perhaps someone (Dave?) can help me identify the low-wing red "classic," apparently with a radial engine, in the opening frames of this video on the Cessna SkyCatcher website.

Click on the "SkyCatcher Live in Wichita" video media link and look for the red low-wing plane taxiing in the opening seconds from 00:06 to 00:11.

http://www.cessnaskycatcher.com/

To me it resembles a mini Stearman monoplane, but I can't find anything when I search using any combination of these terms: "low wing radial engine open cockpit taildragger."

At first I thought it might be a sexy mod of a Fly Baby, but it appears to be slightly larger and with different gear. Anyway it just looks like a fun way to build time in conventional gear.
Last edited by CAS on Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Identify this airplane make and model?

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:48 am

Here's a screencap of the plane in question.

redlowwing.png
redlowwing.png (90.04 KiB) Viewed 3378 times

It looks familiar to me, but I'll leave it to Dave or Jeb to make the call.

-- Jack

DaveA

Postby DaveA » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:36 pm

It's a Ryan ST3KR, also known in the Army Air Corps as a PT22, modified with a W670 Continental- what came in a Stearman. The W670 was rated anywhere from 220 to 300 hp depending on variant. The Ryans were originally built with a Kinner 165hp radial. Richard Hamlin down in Wellington KS owns this hot rod, last I know. There's a guy here in my area that's a long time friend and retired Piedmont/USAir captain that had one for years modified with a 300 Lycoming. It was a monster. It's now being remanufactured into a Ryan STA by its new owner.

Hope this solves the mystery!

Dave

"There's no Jack H like our Jack H"
"Powered by 110 octane Algae-Poo..." :mrgreen:

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:59 pm

Thanks Dave.

I suspected that one of you guys would beat us to the answer. I was right.

BC-12D

Postby BC-12D » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:46 pm

CAS wrote:To me it resembles a mini Stearman monoplane, but I can't find anything when I search using any combination of these terms: "low wing rotary engine open cockpit taildragger."

One reason your search did not turn up any results was that this airplane has a radial, not a rotary engine. A common mistake.

Nice looking airplane!

CAS

Postby CAS » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:47 pm

Many thanks to DaveA for the answer.

I just listened to the most recent podcasts and it was interesting to hear the "on air" discussion about this very cool and nicely restored/customized airplane. A brief "forum highlights" segment of several minutes in length seems like a nice addition to the podcast.

Good catch, BC-12D. I did use "radial" at the top of my post and somehow substituted "rotary" towards the end. Corrected.

jackhodgson
Site Admin

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Jan 17, 2008 5:18 pm

CAS wrote:A brief "forum highlights" segment of several minutes in length seems like a nice addition to the podcast.

We did that again in UCAP#64 (to be uploaded in a couple days). I like it too. It's like having virtual visitors in the virtual hangar. :-)

The problem has been that there's so much good stuff going on here that it was hard for me to pick just a few, and to edit them down for the 'cast.

So much interesting stuff I had to pass over.

Keep up the good work. :-)

Return to “Other Topics”