Moved into my new hanger today

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
joemurffy

Moved into my new hanger today

Postby joemurffy » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:24 am

Like the subject says, I moved my plane into a new hanger today, and I'm so much happier! Most importantly, it is south-facing, instead of north. Living in the midwest this makes a huge difference in the winter! Getting into my old hanger was a serious heath risk. The ice would pile up in front of the hanger and extend for about ten feet. I have fallen just walking to the door. And since my previous hanger had a slight incline, moving the plane (Cherokee Six) without a tug was absolutely impossible. The worst was last winter, just after getting the plane, when a friend and I were pushing the plane back into the hanger and one wheel jumped over the ice barrier that had formed at the door threshold before the other wheel. The plane lurched and the tail moved far enough to the side to bump part of the T-hanger. Uggghhhhh!! I was literally sick to my stomach at the slight rash.

Now that I'm in the new hanger, all is bliss. It faces south and the ice/snow/water goes away much quicker. The cement in the hanger is clean and the door is almost new. There is no incline up to the threshold, so I'll have minimal problems moving the plane - especially with the slick electric tug that a friend found and adapted for my configuration (he'll be getting some more free-flying time with me). And nicest of all is that I'm in the southern-most row of hangers, so I look out at rolling fields and most of our 5500' Rwy (34-16). Now I have a suitable place to live when my wife gets tired of me talking about flying.

T-hangers where I'm located (PMV) are $115/month. That is fully enclosed, partial cement palate (sp?), and unheated. What do other people around the country pay?

So, this spring I'm thinking about keeping a grill at the hanger and spending some quality evenings there. You all are invited to call ahead and stop on by to just sit and watch the sun travel across the sky. Just plan on bringing your own choice of meat/whatever for the grill. (Seriously, when is the first Annual UCAP Fly-In going to be??)
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

LimaBravo

Re: Moved into my new hanger today

Postby LimaBravo » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 am

UCAP Fly-In !! Yea, Joe started something there, it can not go unmentioned....

Southern Michigan here Joe, I've paid $120 to $140 at 4 locations for partial pad, non-heated, fully enclosed. $200 to $250 gets you a heated, new building, modern type hangar...

I will be reserving a spot on the grill too as soon as I can shake this ice off my wings. You are the perfect weekend flight from us up here!

....now about that fly in

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:19 am

joemurffy wrote:T-hangers where I'm located (PMV) are $115/month. That is fully enclosed, partial cement palate (sp?), and unheated. What do other people around the country pay?

That's really good. The going rate in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area is about $225/month. Some are a little more and some a little less as far as I've heard. My flying club shares a T-hangar for $225/mo. in Fort Worth. That's a closed hangar unheated/un-air conditioned on a cement slab.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:15 am

joemurffy wrote:Seriously, when is the first Annual UCAP Fly-In going to be??

Now that is a really intriguing idea. Hmmmmm. <stroking chin thoughtfully>

-- Jack

Madmax

Love my hanger

Postby Madmax » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:27 am

We got to move indoors this last summer, what a treat.

Hangers here run about 900-1000 a month. yeah, a month.....

Because we actually own our hanger, and least the land (for the next 25 years yahoo!!) I can do a bunch to the hanger, and the first thing (after the beer fridge of course, was spray on insulation,
Last edited by Madmax on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sum Ergo Cogito —

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:03 am

I was paying $550 a month for my hangar at HEF (Manassas, VA). All concrete, bi-fold door, free electricity, plenty of room for my Deb and some other stuff, but unheated. 45-minute drive, one-way.

Once I moved to Sarasota, I found a $200 hangar at Arcadia, FL, but it was just too far to drive. Luckily, I got into a $310 hangar at Venice (VNC). It's smaller and not as good a hangar than what I had at HEF, but it's a lot closer.

Jeb

jmdowney

Postby jmdowney » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:44 pm

I'm in the same area (so to speak) as Jeb used to be. I pay $235/mo (just went up from $220) for a quonset hanger at 2W5, Indian Head, MD, not heated, but free electricity. I share it with two other aircraft (one active, one "stored") Just up the road they're getting that $500+ Jeb spoke of.

Speaking of a UCAP fly-in, check out the post about a Sun-n-Fun party, in this "Other Topics" thread. That could be a start.

Hey Limabravo, I started my PP training at BTL (born and raised). You still there?
jd

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:42 am

Jim!

Yea still here at BTL and AZO, I "hop the fence" a lot as we say here, but end up spending most time at AZO these days. I am very active at both spots. Trying to get the UCAP gang to come check out the AirZoo, have you been recently?

Hope to run into you at one of the get togethers!

~LB

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:38 am

LB,

Knocked that ice off of your wings yet? No hurry - still very cold down here, also; but you're sure welcome to show up anytime I'm around.

Joe
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Hey Joe!

No doubt, we just got hammered with another 12" of the white stuff. I was at the hangar with the snowblower today getting things cleared up so I can get the Warrior out for exercise tomorrow! I hate to go much more than 2 weeks, as I usually fly at least 15 days / month.

Anyway, as mentioned in my other post, we'd love to stop down your way sometime. So I will have to PM you when the weather gives us a travel window. Would be great to meet another ucap'er, and what a great reason for a trip!

~LB

Return to “Other Topics”