TFR... All for a wedding

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
MattB

TFR... All for a wedding

Postby MattB » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:47 am

Why are Temporary Flight Restrictions are put up?

To protect pilots, passengers and the general public from unnecessary risk... right? or so one would think
Till Ron Rapp pointed out NOTAM : 9/0803. in one of the postings for his blog.

NOTAM : 9/0803 is a "CA.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS MALIBU, CA. EFFECTIVE 0901102230 UTC UNTIL 0901110230 UTC. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137(A)(3) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT FOR MEDIA COVERAGE OF WEDDING WITHIN A 2 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS"
Wait a min, a wedding? Come ON! http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_0803.html

Is this type of “special" TFRs common or do we need to worry about the sky being cut into Swiss cheese? :?
Rapps blog- http://www.rapp.org/
"The more I hear you talk about flying, the more I want to be up there too!"

lucaberta

Re: TFR... All for a wedding

Postby lucaberta » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:53 pm

It all boils down to who's getting married, with the kind of people that live in that area... wrecked news channels helicopters can be dangerous to the general public when they hit the ground! :D

At least they didn't have the TFR go all the way up to 5000', which is the floor of the LAX class B in that area...

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

champguy

Re: TFR... All for a wedding

Postby champguy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:56 pm

The general public doesn't get near a wedding in Malibu.They aren't being protected. As for the celebebrites, any publicity is good as long as the name is spelled right. The only people being protected are the pilots. I have a friend who flies a news helicopter over a large densely populated western city and the unconntrolled chaos he describes should be controlled, IMHO, which is worth very little as we all know.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Other Topics”