Wichita

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
tonycondon

Wichita

Postby tonycondon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:59 pm

I just moved to Wichita, starting a new job. Anyone here in the area? I need to find somewhere with reasonable rentals, or I need to find a decent IFR 150 to buy. And I need to find somewhere to do some part time instructing!

Dave Higdon

Re: Wichita

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Well welcome to Wichita, Tony...got a couple of suggestions to start you on your way...

First, consider dropping by Westport Airport, a.k.a. Dead Cow International; it's on a side street called South Kessler on the southwest side of down -- not far from Wichita Mid-Continent; you can look up 71K in the airport references for more info.

To find it the first time, navigate to U.S. 54/Kellog to the West Street Exit; that's on the west side...turn south on West Street for about two miles to a cockamamie intersection where Southwest Boulevard and West cross, and get in the lane second from left; just across SW Blvd. is Pawnee Street and you want to make a left (east) turn there; you'll cross some railroad tracks and come to Kessler on your right; turn right (south) and the street ends at a cul de sac with the CAF Hangar dead in front of you and the Westport main hangar on the left; pull in, come in, ask for Earl...he owns a 150 -- IFR I believe that rents for as low as any airplane in the area...tell Earl Dave Higdon sent you...believe you can get started there and then check out August (3AU) about 20 minutes east of Wichita on U.S. 54, and Benton Airpark (now, actually, Lloyd Stearman Field (1K1), Newton up north, and Jabara (AAO)...Jabara will be the most-expensive and the least tolerant of an independent CFI looking to teach freelance in a 150...Westport/Dead Cow, Augusta and Benton will be the most tolerant.

And holler at me with a private message when you're settled; will connect you with a breakfast group I meet most Saturday mornings at a West Side family restaurant called "Spear's"...we get a blend of CAF and Flight Safety and EAA other local pilot reprobates most Saturdays...be glad to intro you to the CAF crew, as well...we meet at Spear's at 8 a.m...lots of noisy pilot conversation...

Dave

tonycondon

Re: Wichita

Postby tonycondon » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:55 pm

Dave,

sounds good. I have surfed the CAF's website and was actually planning on crashing the sat. morning breakfast already. So I guess I'll see you then!

Return to “Other Topics”