Taking Suppositories Anyone?

Mtns2Skies

Re: TSA stands for ??

Postby Mtns2Skies » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:55 am

Torturing Smart Aviators

ruckin

Postby ruckin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:05 am

Well in honor of episode 150 and just for Jack his own TSA definition...

Topic Straying Abundance

I just got back from a trip to Ann Arbor and from recent personal experience I would add:
Thoroughly Scary Adventure

When I got to my meetings and discovered that I was a stones throw from the Ann Arbor airport I started fantasizing about being able to fly myself to these meeting rather than going commercial. When I plug in the performance of an airplane I am likely able to afford and the distances involved... Lets see, KRNT -> KARB is about 1652 nautical miles if I could fly gps direct in one hop. Using 100 knots because the math is easier... that would be about 16:30 for flying + 4-5 hours for fuel stops. I guess I need to be able to buy a faster plane or have closer meetings. Next month I will do my fantasy flight plan to Wichita...

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:00 pm

OK, I know it's an old thread that I'm digging up but some recent time in line has me all fired up again. I had a bit of time on my hands (while I went though secondary carry-on screening) and attempted to engage the TSA agents in some friendly conversation. Try this ice-breaker, "What do you think that Madison and Jefferson had in mind when they wrote the 4th amendment?"

So maybe I was a little harsh after 5 minutes or so of "these are our policies" and "you could take a bus" when I told him that he probably didn't do to well in 3th grade since most 8 year olds know that the constitution trumps "policies". Also, I asked the police officers (gathering around me) to arrest the agent for violating my constitutional rights. But I digress. (I will earn my ticket to the "no-fly list" sooner or later.)

My entry in this fine list:

Tyrannical Schutzstaffel Absolutism

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:00 am

I'm no fan of the TSA, but "Schutzstaffel" is a little harsh.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:40 am

I agree. The folks in the blue shirts are just normal people doing a job. They just have to do what they are told if they want to continue collecting a paycheck. It's the dilbertian management trying to featherbed and our elected officials who created this opiate of an agency to make us feel more secure.

eaglepilot

Postby eaglepilot » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:56 pm

Well, listening to the latest episode, I had an epiphany of sorts, and I thought-Why do we have to make our TSA slogan match the letters T-S-A? Perhaps we could come up with a slogan that includes our feelings, but in an elegant way.

For instance, hearing the story about the TSA recalling an airliner because "someone" had not passed through security properly led me to think "I'm sure glad we're not depending on these guys for security!"

Another thought I had, was "At the TSA, we're hiring leaders, with common sense as our goal. So far, we haven't found qualifying internal applicants."

Anyone else got a line that might fit?

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:38 pm

Dallas usually isn't too bad but, this Monday the TSA had a young mother to the side and she was obviously in a lot of distress because she needed to take something with her that they weren't allowing. God only knows what they weren't allowing. She was about 5' 2" and maybe 100 lbs soaking wet. Maybe her baby weighed over 3 ounces and wouldn't fit in quart-sized plastic bag.

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Maybe I am a little harsh, and I normally wouldn't get down on a guy for doing his job, but I make an exception in this case. If you choose to take a job which violates the rights of citizens, you may be criticized for doing it. You couldn't pay me enough to wear the blue shirt. I disagree with the fundamental concept of searching peoples belongings without probable cause.

Maybe I am too harsh invoking the name "Schutzstaffel" (and Godwin's law). (I needed a word starting with "S". ;) ) Unlike the TSA, the SS were people who volunteered for an elite job working for the government enforcing ludicrous polices in the name of what was best for the nation. They weren't really military nor law enforcement but seemed to have some abillity to act as such. What they did was wrapped in secrecy even decades after the war. Most people didn't understand how their actions were contributing to the betterment of all the people but, in the end, they were doing what was right to keep everyone safe from the evils powers which lurked silently in the population.

You see, I am not saying that they are anything like how the SS ended up. I am concerned because I know how it started.

Franklin said, "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Charley2

Postby Charley2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Too Stupid for Arby's

Return to “Other Topics”