TSA TWIC card

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
InTheAir

TSA TWIC card

Postby InTheAir » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:13 am

Just listened to episode # 142; in reference to TSA plan requiring some sort of ID badge, and not knowing what to use. Why don’t they just use the ID badge they (TSA) now require ever coast guard licensed captain to have. TSA requires anyone with a captain’s license to buy and carry their TWIC card (Transportation Worker Identification Card). This like the ID card for airports really makes no sense for someone like my self who will never have a need to enter a working port or security area on the water. But, they do already have the system setup all over the country, so if they really need us to have a security badge for airports why not use this one rather than come up with a whole new system. Creating another ID badge would cost who knows how much, especially when TSA already has a system setup.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/twic/index.shtm

PilotBillFromTexas

Re: TSA TWIC card

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:21 pm

Like Woodward and Bernstein said 30+ years ago "follow the money." Someone or someones have an interest in setting up this huge, complicated, useless smokescreen of a bureaucracy. I think that it's just featherbedding. Homeland Security has to create reasons for themselves to exist.

Richdmoore

Postby Richdmoore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 pm

My old man has a TWIC card, the funny thing is that they don't even have a reader at the ports he works out of. (He is on a ferry that only goes between two small ports, no other users at either Port.) They actually had to bring down a scanner to get everybody into the system, all kinds of paperwork too. Then he still had to show up in person (several hours drive I believe, to actually pick it up.) My dad said he suspects that pilots will at some point have to use this at airports, I hope he is wrong. When he asked what they are going to do when someone forgets their access code (which they never use, because they don't have the electronic keypads/readers at either port, no one could say how they are suppose to fix it.) I don't remember what he told me the fee was for this mandatory ID card, but I don't think it was free or low cost.

Don't worry, I'm sure the contractors who built the readers/help run the program are making lots of money off of this.

P.S. If you want to see what user fees are, you should see the cost and hassle that he has to go through to renew his license, he can't believe the FAA fees are so cheap ($2 for a replacement certificate, no renewal fee.)

Medical certification is a pain the rear too, but the crewmember doesn't have organizations like Virtual Flight Surgeon or AOPA to help when they need it to keep/pass a medical check. The Coast Guard is cracking down too, since that ferry accident in New York where the ferry pilot became disabled at the controls and crashed into the pier, killing some people.

I guess we will see what the future holds, but I hope that common sense prevails rather than TWIC card, or other things.
Last edited by Richdmoore on Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richdmoore

Postby Richdmoore » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:57 pm

Oh, here it what the fees are for the card (every 5 years)

How much does a TWIC cost?

The fee for TWIC is $132.50 and is valid for five years. Workers with current, comparable background checks will pay a reduced fee of $105.25. If workers are eligible to pay the lower price, their TWIC will expire 5 years from the date of the comparable credential (additional information is provided in the next question). The cost of a replacement TWIC, if the original is lost, stolen, or damaged, is $60.

What are the methods of payment?
Payment must be made with credit card (Visa® or MasterCard® only), money order, or certified/cashier's check. Checks should be made payable to Lockheed Martin. An additional option has been provided through the use of company purchased pre-paid debit cards. For companies choosing to use the pre-paid option, please visit http://www.twiccard.com .
In all cases, payment will be made at the enrollment center at the beginning of the enrollment process.

What is the fee for a replacement card?
The card replacement fee (for lost, stolen, or damaged TWICs) is $60.

champguy

Postby champguy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:37 am

I have friends visiting from England where you can't turn around without stepping in someone else's sh**. They are here because here we can go down to the airport, drag out the planes, and go flying. It's all about crowding and complexity. We are going in the same direction for the same reasons.
Why would anyone bring a child into such a world?
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:36 pm

champguy wrote:Why would anyone bring a child into such a world?

Well said!

What makes America great is that we are able to fight the tide of government BS and once in a while actually win.

champguy

Postby champguy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:05 pm

Ya Bill we can ocasionally win
But being able to swallow one's pride, present the appearance of conformity, clean clothes and a winning smile when the cop stops you, and being willing to move West when the authorities get too buisy. Here in Oregon we have the cleanest air in the country, and fewer people than most metropolitan areas. I can fly over the mountain just to see what the weather is like on the other side. Why would I need the government tell me that.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Other Topics”