Arrow advice

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
PlanoPilot

Arrow advice

Postby PlanoPilot » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi UCAPers;

I've examined my normal mission profile, budget and preferences, and come to the conclusion that a 70's or newer Piper Arrow is a good fit for my first aircraft.

The bird I end up with will need to have the following:
* Be able to pass a rigorous prebuy
* IFR certified
* Garmin 430 or better
* Auto pilot w/ alt. hold or better
* Mid time or better engine from a reputable shop (or run out and priced accordingly)
* Total cost of 100k or less

Anyone have any advice on specific models/years to seek out or stay away from?

Thanks!

Stuart
PilotStu
Stuart Stevenson
PP SEL/IA
Plano TX

Madmax

Re: Arrow advice

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:17 pm

Very good 1st aircraft.

the retract/complex time may get you on the ins. depending, but you need to bite it sometime.

If the retract is not an issue, look at the older Dakoda's also a good airplane.

Cherokees even better.

But if it is an arrow, then be sure the engine was done by a good shop, the big names mattituck, penn yan, FWF to name a few.

And BE VERY SURE the airplane has been flown. An engine with 250hrs SMOH 10 years ago, is worthless it needs a new engine. (ok, maybe not NEEDS, but should have) and check on the shop that did the work, if it is Pete in his garage, it might be ok, but if it ia a piper service center all the better.

Aviation Consumer had some books out some time back about buying used airplanes good info in them.

It is a buyers market don't forget that, think about picking up something less expensive and leave yourself a 20k budget to do the avionics that you want. (koff koff autopilot)

You will spend a couple of hundred bucks per pre purchase, so the most leg work you can do first the better off you are in the long run.
Sum Ergo Cogito —

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Good comments from Madmax...

I worked on the January 2008 Aviation Consumer Used Aircraft Guide article on the Arrow series...

Arrows are good planes. My first left-seat ride in a retractable...

I'd avoid the Arrow IV and concentrate on the Arrow III. In looking through a current Trade-A-Plane, there are some nice examples available, advertised for well under $100K.

Some other choices include the Cardinal RG, Mooney 201, Comanches and even an earlier Bonanza.

Be sure to get an independent (i.e., someone you pay...) pre-buy.

HTH...

Jeb

Madmax

Postby Madmax » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:35 am

I was thinking about this last night as I was verifying a new AD on my propeller:

If you are convinced that you will be doing the Arrow, join the piper owners group.

http://www.piperowner.org

The resources there are outstanding. And I suspect, they will have all the ADs listed and available to club members. Some of the Arrows have an AD on the prop hub, (among others) and that AD can be terminated by replacing the hub with a new one. Yet some people will just to a “eddy current” test for cracks rather than replacing the part.. I always figure ANYTIME I can terminate an AD or SB it is worth the extra few dollars. (and often SBs turn into ADs, so fixing it before there is a rush to do so is not a bad choice)

B U T

I am one of those few people who is actually willing to spend money on my airplane. (it helps that my wife is also a pilot, so I never have to "ask" rather I can present things with "Hey look what we can do")

You will find at nearly every level of airplane ownership people are willing to ‘cut corners’ I don’t understand it because this is just about the most expensive hobby in the world, and saving $200 rarely saves you $200 down the road.. but will find that again and again as you weed through the airplane choices while you shop. Yep previous owner XYZ used a home depot wire nut or sub standard wite terminal crimp because he saved $7.00. sigh

Hell in my Mooney, the Magnetic compass was ALWAYS a piece of garbage, I mean just gave you a ‘hint’ of the direction you were headed until you were strait and level.. When I pulled the headliner this past fall while doing the new interior, there was a 4X6 Car Stereo Speaker for the cabin speaker, with a magnet that I could probably use to pull the airplane out of the hanger instead of the tug, .. (And it was ...get this.. it was secured through the sheet metal screw from the outside top, Yeah I always wondered what that screw was for…) so I pulled that out and had a aviation grade speaker put in and relocated it as far aft as I could.

Expect some bizarre crap, take it in stride and enjoy.

Remember the two happiest days in an airplane owners life is the day he buys his first airplane and the day he sells it.
Sum Ergo Cogito —

joemurffy

Postby joemurffy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:43 pm

Madmax wrote:It is a buyers market don't forget that, think about picking up something less expensive and leave yourself a 20k budget to do the avionics that you want. (koff koff autopilot)

Why would you want an autopilot that is only good for trips to and from Offutt Air Force Base? :mrgreen:

Sorry, couldn't resist. It is where I'm currently stationed.
Joe Murphy - KPMV

N4706E / N115CC "Circus, Circus"
'51 Aeronca Champ 7CCM / '79 Bellanca Super Viking
'Once you fly fabric, you won't settle for metal.'

PlanoPilot

Postby PlanoPilot » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for all the good advice!

I am nervous about investing 20-40k in upgrading a cheaper plane since I've heard that, like building a swimming pool, you only get 30-40% of the cost back when you sell. Is that really true on Garmin 430s and STec 50s? Also, on something as involved as an A/P with servos, nav links, etc, isn't that a ripe place for unexepected Aviation Maintenance Unit?

Thanks,

Pilot Stu
PilotStu
Stuart Stevenson
PP SEL/IA
Plano TX

Return to “Other Topics”