My 2007 Discoveries

Things that don't fit anywhere else.
pilot_ngb

My 2007 Discoveries

Postby pilot_ngb » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:35 am

Hello

I have discovered two things in 2007.

1. Aviation Podcasts - I travel across Europe with work and decided to buy an iPOD. Since then I discovered aviation podcasts by accident. I just finished listening to #50 through 62. You guys are doing a great job. Peoeple must think I am weried. I can be on a domesitc flight and then I just start laughing. Very educuational.

2. Flying - After a break of 6yrs, I have started to work towards my PPL again. I have 18hrs in total. Listening to many of the hanger podcasts. I was flyling in Ireland, but am currently transistioning to a school in England. I am currently back flying the in the circuit working towards my first solo. You talked about cost - You are looking at $280 an hour in UK for a C172!! (that does include landing fees at some schools).

Anyway, keep up the good work.

LimaBravo

Re: My 2007 Discoveries

Postby LimaBravo » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:52 am

NGB,

You made the podcast, congrats!!!

More importantly, congrats at getting back into it after 6 years and putting up with those prices! Very nice to see another one who "gets it" and willing to go for it even at crazy pricing.

Thanks for sharing your short story. It makes me feel better about how much I spend on flying despite what "Dave Ramsey" says...... :-)

pilot_ngb

Postby pilot_ngb » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:14 am

Yes I was on a plane between Newcastle, England and Brussels, Belgium (Avro RJ85) when I heard it on my iPOD nano. Told my wife I was famous!

I will be sure to keep people posted of my progress towards my PPL.

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:08 pm

Yes, now that we know you are back into it we will all be rooting for you! I am looking forward to hearing of you progress.

Good Flying....

~LB

pilot_ngb

Postby pilot_ngb » Mon May 19, 2008 3:35 pm

Well here is an update - an expensive one.

Just been hit with the highest charge yet -

55min in a C172 (a new shiny one with no carb heat)
1 landing fee (6 t&g plus 1 full stop)
1 daily memember to flying club

Total cost - £195 which equates to slighly less than $380 in US money! Ouch - I seriously considering completing my PPL in US!!

LimaBravo

Postby LimaBravo » Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 pm

NGB,

That is Crazy! What is the breakdown of the charges? How much for 1 landing fee and the T & G's ?

C'mon over, we would love to have the additional usage and the flight schools need it too!

pilot_ngb

Postby pilot_ngb » Wed May 21, 2008 4:42 am

£7.50 for landing fee (includes all T&G etc). Rate is £185 per hour for aircraft.

I am seriously considering completing my PPL in US at a JAA approved school (probably Orlando Flight Training).

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed May 21, 2008 4:42 pm

Ya, come on down. Our flight schools need clients as long as you also want to learn how to land. A little touchy on that subject since 911.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Fri May 30, 2008 5:20 pm

NGB -- there is a way to your ticket here in the U.S...but it will take some advance paperwork, probably fingerprinting and a background check before you can get <ahem> "cleared" to take flight instruction here...been this way since 9/11 -- and it's such overkill...

But dollars-and-sense wise, it's a far better deal...for years, the flight school at Benton Airpark outside Wichita filled its bunkhouse with students from the U.K and Europe -- and they usually spent less on the whole experience here (airfare, meals, accommodations andtheir PPL) than the license alone would cost at home.

Good luck, however you decide to finish...as Jeb would say, the Juice is worth the Squeeze ;)

Dave

pvs

Postby pvs » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:04 am

NGB - The paperwork involved for non-citizens to train in the US is not burdensome at all. When I discovered this hurdle, I was prepared for many months of bureacratic wrangling. After all, I had been waiting far longer than that to have the time and money to start training. Well, it took 1 week, which is incredible for any govt. organization. The chaps at the TSA office answered the phone, were helpful, and I even felt bold enough to ask them to "hurry". The whole process is online, with only one packet (fingerprints) that needs to be mailed in, and one visit to get yourself fingerprinted.

Pick a school that has had non-citizen students before, as the school needs to confirm your request (online), and they will give the correct forms to use.

I was already a US permanent resident so I may have benefited in that my "FBI check" could have been done earlier, and they just compared notes. If there is a silver lining to this, it is that you are forced to complete your training within a year, as the approval is time limited.

Since then I am glad to say I have turned red-white-and-blue, for more reasons than just flight training!

Good luck!

PVS

Return to “Other Topics”