Episode #155 "Nuke 'Em Till They Glow"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Andrew B

Episode #155 "Nuke 'Em Till They Glow"

Postby Andrew B » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:37 pm

Hello Gang,

I just listened to 155 and heard you guys talking about Gisele taking lessons out of Marshfield Airport KGHG (My Home Airport). What little information I know is this, she is going for her private is a Robinson R44. She has obtained roughly 40 hours and from what I've heard is progressing nicely. She is trying to obtain here ticket so she can more easily make her commute from her home, to NYC, and to Boston. If you Google her name and "flight lessons" there is already a picture floating around the web of her preforming the preflight. Quite interesting I think, good for her. Just thought I would share ......
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Episode #155 "Nuke 'Em Till They Glow"

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:55 am

Andrew,

thanks for the report.

-- Jack

flyguy93

Postby flyguy93 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:53 am

BEST RANT EVER!! I have to agree with everything Jeb had to say in response to the USA today article. It was nice to hear someone who has the same views on the airline industry as I do and is willing to get the word out about it. As long as the ATA is putting out the propaganda we need to fight back with all we have.
Also you can become a member of Alliance for Aviation Across America for free though their website http://www.aviationacrossamerica.org/signup.cfm There are two links on the contact us page that can be put on a website that will link to their website.
Keep the great work going, im always waiting for that little blue dot to to show up in the uncontrolled airspace box.

-Student Pilot Alex

General Eclectic

Postby General Eclectic » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:24 am

Having just listened to #155, a rich and classic episode I might add, I can’t help feeling that there's an opportunity for someone to promote GA in the US by somehow usurping the seemingly struggling Essential Air Service.

As a Brit, I have absolutely no idea how hard it must be to travel between two random points in the US. It seems as if I have always lived within an hour's drive from an international airport and this is something I have gladly taken for granted.

It does seem to my untrained, un-colonialised eye that if the problem with the EAS is that airports and aircraft are empty (or, rather the demand fluctuates wildly) and part of the problem for GA is that an image is being created of a useless nuisance....., and notwithstanding the minor issue of possibly needing a "Commercial" licence, surely there's a market here for a "Car Pool", sorry "Cessna-pool" arrangement to be set-up?

I'm not suggesting that I have phrased it in the right way, but it does seem to me that there must be some way to make these two issues cancel each other out.
I'm a conscientious man... when I throw rocks at seabirds I leave no tern unstoned. (Ogden Nash)

Et nom de dieu! C'est triste Orly la dimanche (Jacques Brel)

eaglepilot

Postby eaglepilot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:08 pm

Just finished listening to this episode, and it seems to me that General Aviation needs a couple of talking points to hammer home each time we talk to someone about GA. Think of catchy bumper sticker thoughts. Examples might be:

Be a pilot-look at life from a higher plane.
General Aviation-90%(?) of pilots are not millionaires
General Aviation, not the Airlines-saved 25(?) lives today
Personal Aircraft make air travel enjoyable, not just endurable
Personal Airplanes pay their own way

I'm sure with the creative minds in the UCAP audience, we can come up with many more.

When we have a reasonable amount of ideas, we can filter them down to two or three main thoughts that GA can project into the mainstream. Hopefully we can have a small influence on the perception of GA in the rest of society.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:36 pm

Sick of Human Mailing Tubes? Try GA
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 pm

eaglepilot wrote:Just finished listening to this episode, and it seems to me that General Aviation needs a couple of talking points to hammer home each time we talk to someone about GA.

That's a funny coincidence. I had the exact same thought after a flight this week from Toronto to St. Johns, Newfoundland. Maybe it's a Canadian thing. The airlines got me in past 3am; hours after when I should have gotten there then lost my bag.

I had to go to work the next day in jeans, sneakers and a t-shirt because that's all I had. That didn't go over so well but, luckily people were polite. My first thought after the temporary insanity past was that I've never lost a bag on a GA flight. I'm the master of my own destiny and I'm in complete control of my own stuff. I'm sure that is a point that is lost on the general public but, it's one of many reasons why we fly GA other than the fact that we are all Harrison Ford with more money than we know what to do with. (Nothing against HF, he's one of the good guys.)

I think that the perception that we really have to attack is the one that the normal working middle class has no use for an airport. Maybe we could have "A Day Without GA" campaign. Some of my thoughts were:

You might not miss a GA airport after it's gone until the first time you were expecting a FedEx overnight then you learn that they can no longer guarantee overnight service to your area because they can no longer fly their Cessna Caravans in. So, the best you get is now 2 day service.

We have underground gas pipelines that run all over North America. Pipeline inspectors use GA airports to support their air operations. No GA airports then reduced ability to inspect those lines. That has all kinds of implications. Likewise, power lines are inspected by air. They can alert the company to a problem before it becomes a real danger.

In Texas CAP we fly firewatch missions. Not all of these are in remote areas. Some fires have been caught withing striking distance of large cities and the flights helped avoid millions of dollars of damage. We also survey low and slow the low level military routes for the Air Force to keep those folks and equipment safe not to mention the folks on the ground.

If you ever go skiing, hiking or boating and need some fast help then you are going to miss that local GA airport that used to support emergency services flights. Likewise if you need to be transported somewhere or are expecting a donor organ delivered to you. If an airport had three air ops a week but one of them was your donor kidney, was it worth supporting?

That BS cartoon that was being played at the nations large airports with the Daddy Warbucks airplane pushing to the front of the line in front of the poor innocent airliner could become a reality if the multitude of GA airports are killed off and everyone gets pushed onto the large airports.

If businesses start to leave your area after the GA airport is abandoned then ask why. Part of the reason might be that it is no longer convenient to do business in your area. When businesses leave then they take jobs and tax monies with them. Was your job one of them? Do you know what the multiplier affect is? You will.

Do the local radio or TV stations have a helicopter or airplane to help you navigate your way to work? They won't. Those same aircraft that deliver news crews to the scenes of news stories won't be doing that either.

I heard some pilots talking about their experiences with one of the national pilot mills. Evidently, if you are local then you might not want to choose one of these schools because they are doing a gangbusters business with international students and tend to focus on them because they evidently are a higher margin student for the business. Do we really want to kill off an export business like flight training especially in this economic environment? We need all the foreign currency we can get flowing into the country.

This could almost be a new wiki. Every time we encounter a new example then enter it in the wiki so that it can be easily accessed at any time and we won't forget about it.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm

I agree with pilot Bill. It is rediculous the amount of GA airports that have a chance at being closed if not closed already. If only others understood the financial boost brought into a community from their little "noisy" airport no one wants to be within miles of. People take for granted the great things those small airports bring into a community. For example Rescue Flights, Air Mail, and even news coverage that Bill brought up. "A Day Without GA" would show them exactly what we mean. As Jack would say, "We all just want to spread the good word about General Aviation". Also, I think eaglepilot's idea of trying to project some of the UCAP Listener's "bumper sticker" ideas is great. Bill, sorry to hear about your lost baggage, but I can bet you that at least half the people on your flight had the same thing happen. Refer to my bumper sticker idea, "Sick of Human Mailing Tubes? Try GA!" :D
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

eaglepilot

Postby eaglepilot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Another thought that I have been working with, but don’t really have formed well, is that General Aviation is part of the fabric of a community, just like a marina, or a recreation centre or a (careful now) church. It brings together a number of like minded people who live in the area, to pursue a common passion.

I may not use the community soccer field, or the arts theatre, but I’m glad I live in a community that has these amenities, even if I have to pay for them from my tax dollars. I think the diversity of interests enriches everyone.

So, let’s not be unsure of our place in the fabric of our communities. We should stand proud, beside the soccer players, the thespians and the mariners. We belong too.
Last edited by eaglepilot on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:57 pm

Your right eaglepilot,

we do belong to the community as much as any soccer player or church-go-er does and need to show our interests as a group. We attempt, as a aviation community, to celebrate our love and passion of flight as a group at events from EAA Airventure to a local EAA Chapter Pancake Breakfasts. We need to do more together though. I think in order to start this off in some way we should have more UCAP Annual Meetups. Its perfect for us! Maybe someday, if the tip jar gets big enough, we could have a UCAP Conference! ;) (I'd attend. How about you?) We as a community have alot of events and I believe but we can never have enough. I think maybe more little airports need to take on having pilot meetings or events in which the local aviation community can get together and show off thier birds. A cool thing my local airport does is a Christmas Party - you may think its kind of lame but a great way for pilots to meet and talk. More pancake breakfasts to host UCAP from and maybe a Steak Fly-In Dinner so that Jeb won't be inconvienced by the time.
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

Return to “Episodes”