Episode 162: Go VFR at Seventeen-Five

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Dave Higdon

Re: Episode 162: Go VFR at Seventeen-Five

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:54 pm

Agree...dumb, dumb, dumb to try to short-circuit a guy's ambitions on the idea of selling him more; risks losing the candidate altogether -- and ignores the very real prospect of the candidate getting the Sport Pilot license and then deciding to go for more...

Reminds me of a guy we met many years ago who managed a small private airport where we were shopping for hangar space -- and they had more empty than occupied...this "manager" bad-mouthed the experimental guys "because they don't spend as much money by doing their own maintenance," and he also evicted a paying renter who didn't buy all his fuel at the field...thus cutting his occupancy rate further...

Dumb, dumb, dumb...

Dave

FranSan

Postby FranSan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Re: TSA and Foreign Pilots.

I'm the foreign pilot at Sanford that Jack mention in the postcast. :D

First thing I want to say about the process: If there is any one out there who wants get his/her pilot but is thinking it twice because of the TSA and the Alien Flight Student Program... Don't let this be an stopper, the process is actually pretty easy.

Most of the process is done online except for the fingerprint, which can be done in your town police department office.The process took me about a week and half to have the whole thing done.

It cost me:
- $130 fee to TSA
- $10 to Dover PD to have my fingerprints taken
- $XX (sorry I can't remeber the amount) for Prepaid envelope with delivery confirmation for the PD to mail my fingerprints to the TSA

Now, here is the thing:

If I want to get my PPL after I completed my Sport Pilot, I don't have to pay the fee because is not considered my initial airman's certificate.

In the other hand, if I don't want to get my Sport license because I want to continue with my training and get my PPL directly THEN I have to request training and pay the fee again. (although I don't have to submit fingerprints or documents again)

If I want to change provider, I have to pay the fee.

If I want to add Instrument Rating (IR), guess what, I have to pay the fee. If I want to add Multi-Engine Rating (MEL), I have to pay again. If I want to get my Commercial Pilot License (CPL) later, well then I don't have to pay the fee... I guess that by then the TSA realize that I'm a good guy and my contribution to finance the NexGen is enough... :?

As I said before, the process is very easy and relatively quick (actually for me was so quick that I still wondering if they really checked anything :D )

MerlinFAC

Postby MerlinFAC » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:19 am

As I said before, the process is very easy and relatively quick (actually for me was so quick that I still wondering if they really checked anything

It's been very, very well established (by such secret sources as every news network on earth) that neither the TSA nor FAA are in the slightest bit capable of, nor actually interested in, performing any kind of MEANINGFUL, pre-emptive actions that will actually improve security or screen out any actual bad guys. Heck, just in the past few days it came out that something like a dozen close relatives of Osama bin Laden have recieved FAA certificates, some within the past few months. I doubt you'd ever find a US pilot who'd be in the least bit surprised to hear that fact!

I can assure you that ultimately, the Fed's only true interest in making anyone... citizens and foreigners alike... go through their hoops is to divest us of all the cash possible, while justifying their own pointless bureaucracy. If the hassle, expense, or timelines just happen to prevent someone (or better yet, everyone) from being able to fly, or better still, even try to fly, then obviously they've done their job and "prevented aviation terrorism", right? But they don't want it to be *too* hard for most people to do, since that would reduce their income stream...

Illegitimus Non-Carborundum!

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:16 pm

PilotBillFromTexas wrote:That really pisses me off.

Yeah,me too.

That cute little sales maneuver is called a "bait and switch" btw, and is illegal.

Well, that is assuming facts not in evidence. We don't know if the prospective student was lured into the FBO because they were advertising Sport Pilot training or if the prospective student came into the FBO looking for Sport Pilot training. There is a definite difference.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Greg Bockelman wrote:Well, that is assuming facts not in evidence. We don't know if the prospective student was lured into the FBO because they were advertising Sport Pilot training or if the prospective student came into the FBO looking for Sport Pilot training. There is a definite difference.

True. They would have actually had to have advertised the SP. We don't know that.

It's still BS nonetheless.

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:09 am

Regarding the sport pilot license sub-topic (above)...

I have this similar problem. One of my closest friends, a long time school buddy and for a time a work associate, has been watching me through the past several years: do my training, take my tests, get my license, join me on trips... he loves it. The AV bug bit him too, cost is a concern but he too is a victim of "can't think out of the box." He shuns Light Sport. He thinks it's a short-cut license and he thinks the limitations are too great to be of value. Yet I ask him time and again, what would you do with your license? Response: "just fly around to different places probably with his girlfriend or a buddy." Uuuumm Hello?!! Sounds like a sport pilot to me.

The training is THE SAME. You have to learn the same thing everyone else does. (Frankly... I haven't met one CFI that would let anyone of their students fly without the right training, so to say the training is a short-cut... or a substandard training... PLEASE any CFI please step up and tell me where? Because I received my normal Private Pilot and I cannot imagine anything, except maybe night flight, that a CFI could short cut! (especially around here, where you MUST have Mode C and talk to ATC)

So (with very little arm-twisting) I'm dragging him out to Sebring, if all works out, and we're going to crawl around in these airplanes and show him what it can be. I may do some begging / bribing of someone to take him up. He cannot shake this image he's got. I'm determined to show him that you don't have to buy the Hummer... when the Honda Civic will do the job.

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:21 am

Wanting more plane than you need, or a higher rating, is just one of those traps people use to keep themselves comfortably, and safely, grounded.
In the end we fly because we want to badly enough to make other problems just go away.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:35 pm

champguy wrote:In the end we fly because we want to badly enough to make other problems just go away.

Exactly!

Words outta my own mouth...good stuff...

Dave

falcon124

Postby falcon124 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Late update on the PelAir Westwind ditching at Norfolk Island - the ATSB preliminary report is out and makes for interesting reading:

1) Met forecast for Norfolk indicated it'd be fine for landing so they didn't load up on full fuel - this despite Norfolk being notorious for how quickly bad weather can unexpectedly roll in (word is that PelAir apparently has approval from CASA to operate from tiny blip in the ocean to far away tiny blip in the ocean without lots of fuel reserves - go figure)

2) The aircraft ditched and sank quickly - force of impact partially blew in a forward door

3) The details of how they got out make for fascinating reading & will make many seriously consider evac training - some on board had to swim through flooded cabin to get to exits and the copilot may have been unconscious for a short time after ditching

Here's the ATSB news release & link to the PDF http://atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2009/aair/ao-2009-072.aspx

Here's a good summary from Australian Aviation (our favourite aviation magazine :) http://australianaviation.com.au/weather-fuel-planning-focus-for-norfolk-investigation/

The thread on the topic over at PPRUNE http://www.pprune.org generated 21 pages in less than a week before it was closed by the moderators (it's an interesting site but certainly not what it used to be :( )

lucaberta

FAA and the new NOTAMs format

Postby lucaberta » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:55 am

On the modernization of messages used to transmit information to pilots and ATCOs, there is a worlwide project named Digital NOTAM, which has been renamed "Federal NOTAM System" or FNS by the FAA, which is aiming at doing just what Jeb has noted in his comments about how antiquate and useless in the current format.

There is a wealth of information available on this web page:

http://nfdc.faa.gov/aimnews/index.html

though I am not sure if Jeb's internet access will cope... :lol: :lol:

Also, if you want to try to access the FNS system, the beta is live at:

http://notams.aim.faa.gov/

I agree with Jeb's point about NOTAMs being somewhat of a black art, but there is ongoing work to fix this. Life's not that bad. Unless your access to the internet doesn't work, that is. :lol:

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

Return to “Episodes”