Episode #166 Leaning into the Wind

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
eaglepilot

Episode #166 Leaning into the Wind

Postby eaglepilot » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi Guys,

Just a quick note to say "Thank You" for the mention on the podcast about my Christmas Story.

Here's a little update. I originally posted that story in 2006-Dec 26, as I felt very moved about my thoughtful Christmas gift. I had never shared the story with my family, as it was, to me, more of a pilot/father/son type story. I did share the story this Christmas season with my wife and now 13 yr old, and they were "moved" by the story as well as by the comments that others shared after.

My wife does sometimes accuse me of being "stoic", and not "being there". After reading the story, she mentioned that she now understands me a bit more, and my airplane thing. My daughter mentioned that the friends online seem nice.

Thanks again, and if you're around Vancouver sometime, let me know. Maybe we can have a meetup :)

Cavebear42

Re: Episode #166 Leaning into the Wind

Postby Cavebear42 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:21 am

I had a door open in flight one day in a rented 172. Last year, as a fresh private, I took my 11 year old daughter up for her first flight in an airplane of any size. As an angsty pre-teen, she thought it was stupid that I was showing her how to use a door and a seatbelt and telling her about what the emergency plan was. Nonetheless, I made sure that she understood it before we started up.

At about 50 feet agl, I hear "pop" and louder than normal wind noise. I have self prepared myself for this since my early student days and knew that I was going to climb to pattern, make a normal return and close it while on the taxiway. Anyway, pop, woosh and i instantly and calmly said, "leave it alone, it's fine". Here was our conversation:
"leave it alone, it's fine."
"what?"
"what are you talking about?"
"oh no! dad..."

I never call ATC before crosswind turn. At Cross wind, I called,
Me: "Cessna 12345, I'm gonna make this one closed and come back for a full stop."
ATC:"is everything alright?" (because I previously had a straight out)
Me: "just an open door. we're gonna return and close it on the ground" (for her as much as him)
ATC: "Make right traffic. Cleared to land runway 31. I've been having that kind of day too."

Here's the kicker. We continue on our flight. Stop off and pick up my mom, do a little flight seeing, drop off mom and put the daughter back up front. As always, I brief the seatbelts, doors, and evac. She tells me that she remembers, it was only 2 hours ago and this was the 3rd briefing in that time. However, we are up and cruising at 3000 feet when I look over and what do I see blowing in the wind? My daughter's door. Again. This time we were in cruise so I just shut it for her.

New Rule from that day. Don't just brief the door usage. Check personally that they are both closed and locked.

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Eagle pilot: Excellent...very cool...

CaveBear42...add one to the post-flight checklist: Squawk the door latching mechanism; that many unlatches in that brief period may signal something is out of adjustment or worn out...would hate to find out the hard way that the out-of-adjustment part is a hinge that parts company and improves the chances of the door leaving the airplane...

But whatdoiknow...have only owned Pipers so far -- and both of 'em did it...once each; then, like you, added to the pre-departure checks a second check of the door and latch.

Good stuff, guys, thanks!

Dave

t0r0nad0

Postby t0r0nad0 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:17 pm

I had my first door pop about a year ago. I was on a checkout flight in the museum's previous raffle plane, a 1957 Cessna 172. All my time was in 172N's, so this was my first time flying a plane with a generator, venturi, and manual flaps, plus the slightly different sight-picture the older Cessnas have. It was a cold morning as we got our takeoff clearance and took the runway at DWH. I gradually applied power (extra-gradually, to treat the old engine with the care it deserves), and started accelerating. The venturi took effect and the AI started stabilizing. As I hit about 40-45kts, when the air rushing past the fuselage lowered the outside pressure to be less than the pressure inside the plane, the left door popped open. I said out loud for the Chief Pilot, "the door popped, aborting takeoff." I gradually reduced the power back to idle and slowed the plane down to turn off on the high-speed taxiway, as I keyed the mic and told the tower we were aborting the takeoff due to an open door.

We stopped on the taxiway, re-closed the door, and taxied back for takeoff again. It was a flight of many firsts - including my first actual aborted takeoff. The door would pop open on very cold days, unless we shut it just right. Once the weather warmed up, it wasn't an issue any more.
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

eaglepilot

Postby eaglepilot » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:14 pm

Actually, now that I think of it, on my first solo-in a 152-the instructor hopped out, told me to go around three times (T&G's), and come back to the school. As I rotated, his door popped open (the first time I had seen that). I leaned over-it's not too far on a 152 ;) , and slammed the door shut. A non-event.

A more eventful takeoff was on the last half of a T&G, and the flaps would not retract, from 30 degrees. Didn't know quite how to handle it, but eventually made it back to the runway, recycled the flap switch, and all was good.

RigaRunner

Re: Episode #166 Leaning into the Wind--Idea

Postby RigaRunner » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:25 am

For Jack's next trip from UCAP World Headquarters to Hidden River, I have an idea: all the UCAP listeners on the East Coast can join in a project to make Jack's trip an exciting adventure.

Jack starts out from Dover (or his favorite airport) and flies south an hour or so. He parks his plane there. Then, a listener in that area picks him up and flies him another hour or so south, lets him out and returns home. Then, another listener does the same thing from that point. Each pilot/listener gets to meet Jack in person and to share some local flying knowledge with Jack during their approximately one hour together.

Jack gets to ride in a variety of airplanes, pick up flying stories for the podcast, and best of all, he gets to Sarasota quickly and at no cost.

What do you think, Jack? It would be like a "progressive meet-up" all the way down the East Coast for the UCAP podcast listeners!
RigaRunner
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

Sven

Postby Sven » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:45 am

I had only just earned my private ticket when I took my little brother for a short flight in a 152. All was fine until I was about 100 agl. A very loud banging sound on my brother's side of the plane kept getting louder and louder. I thought the whole plane was going to fall apart. As I gained altitude to turn back to the runway I asked my very frightened brother what he could see on that side of the plane. He discovered that he had closed the door on the the long end of the seatbelt and it was now banging on the side of the plane. I told him to open the door, pull the belt in and close the door. He began to cry because in the movies when you did something like that everything and everyone got sucked out of the plane. I didn't have time to explain to him about pressurized aircraft so I reached over and did it myself much to his horror. But all was fine and we went on our way. I never did figure out why it waited until I was 100 feet up before it started in. So now I never forget to have my right seat passenger show me the end of the belt.
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

Rockdog

Re: Episode #166 Leaning into the Wind--Idea

Postby Rockdog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:14 am

I'll pull the leg that runs through or near LZU!!

Jason

RigaRunner wrote:For Jack's next trip from UCAP World Headquarters to Hidden River, I have an idea: all the UCAP listeners on the East Coast can join in a project to make Jack's trip an exciting adventure.

Jack starts out from Dover (or his favorite airport) and flies south an hour or so. He parks his plane there. Then, a listener in that area picks him up and flies him another hour or so south, lets him out and returns home. Then, another listener does the same thing from that point. Each pilot/listener gets to meet Jack in person and to share some local flying knowledge with Jack during their approximately one hour together.

Jack gets to ride in a variety of airplanes, pick up flying stories for the podcast, and best of all, he gets to Sarasota quickly and at no cost.

What do you think, Jack? It would be like a "progressive meet-up" all the way down the East Coast for the UCAP podcast listeners!
RigaRunner

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:12 am

Great Idea.
If he gets stuck in the Seatle area after hoping a "wrong way ride" I could fetch him and get him south into California. Maybe drop him off in Red Bluff or Crescent City on the Coast where he could get some IFR training because the sun never shines there.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:41 am

RigaRunner wrote:For Jack's next trip from UCAP World Headquarters to Hidden River, I have an idea:...

I think that sounds like a pretty excellent idea. Gonna have to give it some thought.

-- Jack

Return to “Episodes”