Episode #167 "Feet to the Firewall"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
falcon124

Episode #167 "Feet to the Firewall"

Postby falcon124 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 pm

A reality show already exists for pilots:

Ice Pilots NWT (http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=247921)

As to a reality show on freight dogs, well, I think that angle may already be under investigation... :)

CaptainCode

Re: Episode #167 "Feet to the Firewall"

Postby CaptainCode » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:44 pm

No one has heard of this one??

http://www.theaviators.tv/TheAviators.TV_-_Home.html

Coming out this year, looks great!

Also AirDogs, I'm not sure if this is just a Canadian show but it's also amazing
http://www.discoverycivilization.ca/sho ... px?sid=533

One guy is an ex-military test pilot with over 10000 hours, the other is a private pilot with around 300 hours at the start of the show.

I think the guys in AirDogs have the dream of probably everyone here. They go around flying vintage planes, warbirds, everything, and put it on TV.

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:17 pm

For a new network aviation title I vote for "Frieght Dogs". So many possibilities for story lines of things that go on in cheap motels, dim airport lounges, with cargo, weather, and connections. Plus the flying.
However, what sells? Well take a look at what is actually airing. It is a good thing Amy was in the hanger to keep you guys grounded when the new "Bachelor" series came up.
The thing to remember is that with publicity the only thing that matters is whether they get your name splled right. Anything that puts aviation in the public spotlight is better than nothing at all. Even with bad news, at least you get something to counter. That's not oblivion.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

TrevDog

Postby TrevDog » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 am

falcon124 wrote:A reality show already exists for pilots:

Ice Pilots NWT (http://www.history.ca/ontv/titledetails.aspx?titleid=247921)

As to a reality show on freight dogs, well, I think that angle may already be under investigation... :)

this is really a great show I've seen up to ep 6. you can't stream it in the US but if you are familiar with torrents and google "ice pilots torrents" you might find some good stuff but you didn't here is from me. ;)
"Flying, the best thing you can do with your clothes on."
Check out my Flying Blog and Podcast -->>Desert Pilot<<--

ruckin

Postby ruckin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 am

Mushrooms and Brie? No wonder those burgers cost $100 :shock:

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:28 am

Episode 167 began with a discussion of The Bachelor reality TV program. I'm not much of a TV watcher, but I did make an effort to see at least part of this episode because I met the bachelor pilot while I was going through training for a type rating in the Boeing 737 in late 2008. He had just completed his 737 training, and came by to take our class to lunch one day.....in a stretch Hummer limo!

He does have a significant amount of flying experience and was hired into the pool for one of the major airlines shortly before the economy tanked. If I am not mistaken, he is still in the pool. When he will be assigned a new hire class date is anybody's guess. He's a great guy. An actor, he played the role of Chuck Norris depicting him in his youth in the Walker Texas Ranger TV series back when it was in production. Again, not one to watch much TV, I am not that familiar with the series. But the bottom line is that he is a legitimate pilot and quite capable in the cockpit. As for the reality program though, I've got better things to do!

thelaker

What's wrong with David Clark headsets?

Postby thelaker » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:24 am

There was some general scoffing of how "The Bachelor" pilot was wearing a David Clark headset in this episode. Though I have a David Clark headset, I wouldn't say I have any particular brand loyalty. Do those headsets have some kind of reputation I'm not aware of?

champguy

"Daves Cross Country"

Postby champguy » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Even if I'm the only lonely voice out here to admit it, I am jealous of Dave's cross country in the Skycatcher. New plane, awesome panel, trip long enough to get to know the plane, and low enough to get to see the country below. It sounds like a great little plane that over time will give the joy of flight to a new generation of pilots, and in another generation will be a great addition to the fleet of affordable flyers.
My only concern about the plane is how fast it goes. With my Champ, when I see wildlife, it tends to be going past me, making derisive honking noises, and well able to steer clear of my path. At the altitudes I reach, that happens a lot.
I hope to follow much of Dave's route this spring heading for Sun-N-Fun and report that a good old fashoned cross country is also fun. Bah Humbug to all that new stuff.(except GPS, that's magic and it's OK).
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

TrevDog

Postby TrevDog » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:51 pm

Ice Pilots NWT update
Just heard about this on an another site. It's a great show, check it out.

For those of you downloading and watching, episodes 1-7 are available. If you haven't been able to figure it out. YouTube has episode 1 split into 5 parts.
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
"Flying, the best thing you can do with your clothes on."
Check out my Flying Blog and Podcast -->>Desert Pilot<<--

eaglepilot

Postby eaglepilot » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:06 pm

Jack mentioned that he just finished "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck.

I have recently read it, and I highly recommend it to anyone, aviation oriented or not. I have loaned it out a couple of times, and all who have read it, like it.

Return to “Episodes”