Episode #167 "Feet to the Firewall"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
t0r0nad0

Re: Episode #167 "Feet to the Firewall"

Postby t0r0nad0 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:59 am

So I've now listened to about the first 10 minutes of this episode and I already have a couple of comments:

1) RE: The Bachelor. I actually watched the first episode of this show, not having watched it at all before, but my girlfriend wanted to check it out and she said the guy was a pilot, which intrigued me. I believe he's actually an airline pilot and seeing as he's from Dallas and the footage they showed of him at work was in what looked like a 757/767 cockpit, I'm guessing he works for American, even though all of the exteriors they showed were of Southwest 737's. In the first episode, there were something like 24 women that he met and he had to kick half of them to the curb. The rest of the season, he'll be 'rejecting' one each week. Ironically enough, one of the women dismissed in the first batch was a smoking hot corporate pilot.

2) An aviation-themed reality show would be awesome! 'Freight Dogs' would be cool, but I'm not so sure about traffic pilots. It could be interesting, but I think I'd rather see air ambulance pilots - LifeFlight, PHI Airmed, etc. Even the fixed wing transports as well - the Texas Children's Hospital here in Houston has a Citation that's fit out as an airborne ICU to bring kids in critical condition to Houston to get the care they need.

Another aviation-themed 'reality' show that fits in with the other competition/elimination shows (a la Top Chef, Survivor, etc.) would be a show that brings in a group of people to learn to fly. This could go two ways: a) it could be a group of primary students learning the PTS maneuvers and each week they're tested on the maneuvers they've learned and have to pass a weekly "checkride" or b) it could be a group of commercial pilots going into training and competing for an airline job. Again, they would have to pass weekly "checkrides" and be kicked off the show based on their level of performance.

Does anyone remember 'Airline' about behind the scenes at Southwest? I'd like to see that show come back. Wasn't there also a show about becoming a flight attendant and Frontier? That would be good to bring back too.

eaglepilot wrote:Jack mentioned that he just finished "Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck.

I have recently read it, and I highly recommend it to anyone, aviation oriented or not. I have loaned it out a couple of times, and all who have read it, like it.

+1. I've read it in the past - it is excellent!
-PJ

PP-ASEL as of 8/15/2007
AGI as of 6/30/2008
FAASTeam Representative

States in which I have been the sole manipulator of the controls on takeoff and/or landing:

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Amy had a point about the slow and methodical rejection of hotties. I had never thought of it that way but it is a little subconsciously demoralizing. I don't watch reality TV (I tend to prefer reality, itself) but this does, sort of, send a message.

As far as Dave's cross country in the sky catcher is concerned, I, too, am jealous. But, for that matter, I would also be jealous if he did it in a Remos, a Piper, or anything else. ;) As someone who can't seem to get enough scratch up each month to make a 1 or two hour currency flight, I can only dream of flying coast to coast.

I'm glad to see the 162s start coming out. I truly believe that the LSA movement is our best hope at GA revitalization. I welcome anything to help it on its way.

jmdowney

Postby jmdowney » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 pm

Serious bird-plane collisions on the rise
Government’s tally for 2009 could reach or exceed 10,000 for the first time

Article on MSNBC at:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34823304/ns/travel-news/

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:04 pm

I think that this should be "Serious bird-plane collision reporting on the rise".

I question if there is any more than before, just more people willing to report it now that it is news and that you can achieve hero status by living though it. ;) I'm not saying that Capt. Sully doesn't deserve it, bird strikes are frequently unavoidable (esp. at those speeds) and he did a hell of a job. I am just saying that the internal dialogue of "Damn. I'm a crappy pilot who should have been able to avoid that." may now be turning to "Yeah. I'm basically the same as Capt. Sully."

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Watched a Red Tailed Hawk turning out of my way on short final today, he gave me a nasty look. Earlier we saw flocks of Pelicans skimming along the wave fronts below us along he surf line, and Terns circling at our altitude. All out flew us with ease.
Dispite a nasty head wind we got back to the FBO in time for a reception for the widow of a good friend and fellow Aeronca pilot, whose last flight was on Monday, short and steep, from the roof of his house. Be careful out there, it seems to be that time of year.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

kbob

Postby kbob » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:24 am

For another cross-country odyssey you might like "Biplane" by Richard Bach, written way before his Jonathan Livingston Seagull days when he was involved with the Antique Airplane Association.

falcon124

Postby falcon124 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:46 pm

kbob wrote:you might like "Biplane" by Richard Bach

Other good Richard Bach books include Stranger to the Ground and Gift of Wings. They're also stories of flying, as opposed to his other books that get pretty out there :)

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:18 pm

Have been told -- but have no solid evidence -- that twinkling strobes and flashing landing lights (a'la Pulselights) help ward off birds...apparently, enough of 'em don't see so well that they can't miss an airplane growing larger in their field of view...and birds with excellent vision easily evade us -- if we attract their attention.

Worth remembering that the object with which you'll collide usually doesn't move in relation to the airplane -- it just gets larger...

FWIW...

Dave

dondmac

Postby dondmac » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:22 pm

Jack mentioned that he enjoyed reading Rinker Buck's "Flight of Passage". If you enjoy those "fly around the country" kind of books, here are a couple of oldies but goodies:

"Zero Three Bravo" by Mariana Gosnell, a former medical and science reporter for Newsweek; she flies her Luscombe from New York to California and back, stopping to meet the interesting folks at small airports all across the country.

"Flight of the Gin Fizz" by Henry Kisor, a book editor for the Chicago Sun Times; he learned to fly, bought a Cessna 150, and was inspired to retrace the route of C. P. Rodgers who made the first transcontinental airplane flight across the United States in 1911. Kisor relates many stories about the people, places, and airports he visited along the way. By the way, Kisor is deaf, making his flight training and travels even more interesting.

Both of these books were published in the mid-1990s, just a year or two before Rinker Buck's book, but you should be able to find them online.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:59 pm

I've read "Gin Fizz", but now I need to go track down 0-3-B. Thanks.

Return to “Episodes”