Episode #170 "Three Tubs of GoJo"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
sballmer

Episode #170 "Three Tubs of GoJo"

Postby sballmer » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:04 am

Jeb, Dave, Jack,

Since you were wondering about the cruise altitude over the Grand Canyon:
Most pictures were taken on the way to to GCN where we were cruising at 9500ft on a pretty
much direct course between the visual reporting points "BAT CAVE" and "THE SQUARE".
This brought us over the "Piece Ferry" and "Diamond Creek" sectors, which have an upper
limit of 7999ft and 8999ft MSL respectively. On the way back we were cruising at
8500ft MSL, but were outside the SFRA. By the way, SkyVector.com has the Grand
Canyon VFR chart, which contains all the relevant SFRA rules and reporting points.

Thanks for the shout-out, and keep up the great show!

Stefan

Dave Higdon

Re: Episode #170 "Three Tubs of GoJo"

Postby Dave Higdon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for filling in the info for us, Stefan...good stuff...looking forward to flying back there over The Canyon...

Dave

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:31 pm

Enjoyed the old high wing/low wing thing, always good for an opinion or two.
The real reason low wings can handle cross winds is that with the wider gear spacing they stay flat on impact even when crabbed onto the runway. Of course I haven't ever flown one so my opinion is only worth what was paid for it.
On the other hand, there is something only a high wing can do. At an airshow, rain or shine, there is no better place to meet and hang out than under a high wing. But if you want to get out of the sun and hang under my wing, be prepared to share your beer.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:05 pm

On another subject, I believe a Sport Cruiser had a mishap recently which was aggravated by a prolonged or flat spin before a not totaly sucessful recovery. With Piper taking up this plane to compete with the SkyCatcher we could see a healthy competition good for many now and for the rest of us in the future in the used plane market at more affordable prices.

My concern is that both these companies, in the pursuit of performance, may have sacrificed some of the docile and safe handling characteristics appropriate for an entry level training plane suitable for recreational flying after a long production run.
A fat, high lift wing, and a large tail, may not be fast, but they are found on planes still flying after sixty years. Just a thought from the back side of the power curve.

baswell

High wing is superior!

Postby baswell » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:05 pm

High wing is superior, everyone should buy a high wing aircraft!

That leaves much more space in the hangar for MY LOW WING aircraft! :lol:

Marin

Postby Marin » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:53 pm

I just wanted to say great podcast. I listen every week and have gone through most of the older podcasts. I started flying in 2005 because of the sport pilot rule. I had a fun time finding a flight school to do the training in but found Dave from Northwest School of aviation at Paine Field in Everett WA. ON March 6th 2006 I completed my check ride. I have now finished building my own Bushcaddy High Wing E-LSA and received my airworthy certificate in Aug of 2009 and am have a great time. You should come out to the West Cost for the Arlington air show in July and do a podcast here. Keep up the great work.

champguy

Postby champguy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:11 pm

By all means come on out, we will get together and make sure you feel at home and see some geat country. We have so much to share.

Return to “Episodes”