Episode #176 "Three For The Show, Two For The Go"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
ruckin

Episode #176 "Three For The Show, Two For The Go"

Postby ruckin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:37 pm

Hello all,

Just got done listening to #176 and was quite surprised the first time I came up close and personal to a Concorde. Walking through a hanger at Air France shortly after the Concorde accident I got to walk by one that was sitting in the hanger. The crash investigation was ongoing so I was not allowed to get very close but I was surprised by how big the A320 was that was sitting next to it. Walking through a British Airways hanger I actually got to walk underneath one. I tried to get inside but they were configuring it for a charter flight and I was not allowed. The third time was a charm... I watched the Concorde land at Boeing Field (in Seattle). I also watched it get towed across the street to the place where it now sits as a museum display. I have actually walked through that one several times and enjoy taking out of town guests to see it – they are always surprised how small it is on the inside.

I would love to see one fly again.

Ruckin.

champguy

Re: Episode #176 "Three For The Show, Two For The Go"

Postby champguy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:03 pm

I assume as the inside of a jet gets smaller, the stuardesses get prettier. Life inside a Lear must be awesome. I wouldn't actually know because nothing in my world goes goes over 100 mph.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:28 pm

Oh! Thanks for the METAR site.
I've also found http://airspace.nifc.gov/mapping/nifc/index.cfm to be an easy reference for TFRs.
I've tried AirNav, SkyVector, RunwayFinder, and NavMonster. Each has good stuff but is missing stuff too.
The EAA AeroPlanner is about the best of the free planners I've found but always seems to bog down and get cranky before I'm done.
What are others using that I have missed?
I always seem to fall back on the current Sectional before I'm ready to leave on a cross dountry. Just don't like unfolding it in flight in rough air to change plans.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

mjg

Postby mjg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:16 pm

champguy wrote:Oh! Thanks for the METAR site.

I missed that in the episode and didn't find the link in the show notes.

Can you help a brother out? :roll:

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:09 pm

champguy wrote: I've tried AirNav, SkyVector, RunwayFinder, and NavMonster. Each has good stuff but is missing stuff too.
The EAA AeroPlanner is about the best of the free planners I've found but always seems to bog down and get cranky before I'm done.
What are others using that I have missed?

I am very partial to FltPlan.com because it helps me put together a plan and print it on a single sheet of paper -- that paper has most everything I need in the cockpit. FltPlan is also free, unless you want to pay for even better service. As a GA pilot the free version is good enough for me.

But, like you, I use them all (plus AirNav.com) a little bit to research the flight and double-check my thinking. And, I think you are right to take the paper chart along in the plane.

Have you tried the AOPA free flight planner?
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

mjg

Postby mjg » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:26 pm

lucaberta

Postby lucaberta » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:35 pm

A few notes after listening to this episode:

1- I've seen a self-launching motorglider with a single-blade propeller, just found a picture online, note the counterweight:

This is the Silent Club, an all-composite sailplane made in Lecco, just northeast of Milan, Italy:

http://www.alisport.com/eu/eng/silent_a.htm

I've never flown it so I cannot comment on the performance of the powerplant and propeller, but I've seen it takeoff and it was quite a short takeoff roll.

2- on the CWSU METAR map, I am sorry for being picky but this is no METAR map! METARs have temperatures in Celsius, and so a true METAR map should have the full real METARs (here's the european telling the americans how they should read their thermometers... :D ) I personally prefer the full METARs as read from http://skyvector.com

3- on the parachute looping, that wing and harness is a paraglider, you can see that he is really sitting on the harness, since paragliders can be in the air for hours, given the right conditions. Parachute used by skydivers have smaller wings, as their usage is limited to soften the impact with the ground, in order to be able to do another freefall jump immediately after! :lol:

He's not doing anything impossible with a modern wing parachute, BTW. And this video is taken from atop the hill where they launch, as he disappears below the trees, probably in the middle of the valley where they land.

Ciao, Luca
Luca Bertagnolio, CPL/ASEL/AMEL/ASES/IR

US States I've overflown or flown in:

Laminar

Postby Laminar » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:00 pm

Luca, thanks for posting the picture. I have some experience with the single bladed prop on the Alisport. It seems to work well. It's strange in another way, too. The blade teeters a few degrees. It flies between the two stops, like a helicopter rotor. Very cool.

Return to “Episodes”