Episode #194 "The Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot Department

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
hmltnrgr1

Episode #194 "The Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot Department

Postby hmltnrgr1 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:39 am

Two comments to add:

1) Unfortunately it's not just the cost of training that keeps the public's interest low in learning to fly. It's also the high cost of flying, beyond training that scares a lot of folks away.

It's expensive to own & operate a plane when all fixed & variable costs are accurately accounted for and rental isn't a much lower cost option on an hourly basis, particularly if the FBO's charge daily minimums...for example, I'd love to fly rather than drive to Oshkosh this year but it would cost me a small fortune to rent a plane for that lenght of time.

Don't get me wrong, I paid the cost of a PPL two years ago and am slowly working towards an instrument rating & ownership, albeit, likely a very unsophisticated plane, although I'd prefer a fully IFR capable cruiser but that's more a function of my budget constraints and not a lack of desire; however, when I talk to others ie: boat/motorcycle owners, about the cost to buy/rent airplanes they look at me like I'm absolutely nuts.

Of course, it takes a different mindset to own an aircraft...my idea of an ideal Sunday AM which I'm striving for would be to ride my MotoGuzzi to the hanger, pull out a nice J-3/J-4 and go do some low & slow and I'm willing to pay the price for that...but the majority my friends & co-workers while relatively well-off can't justify the expense compared to other pursuits.

2) I too found the whole AOPA "wine club" idea just not in keeping with trying to grow GA...it smacks of eliteism and fits too well the whole stereotype of GA as being a "rich man's" endeavor. In fact a couple of weeks ago I couldn't resists "tweeting" on the subject of having my valet, "Jeeves", drive the limo to my vineyard to pick up a bottle or two of a servicable Bordeaux rather than have to deal with the riff-raff public at the local wine store...enough said, I don't want to belabor the point...time to put on the formal wear for dinner with the lady of the house

hmltnrg1, aka SkiandflyUtah
Double posted cause I commented under #193 accidentally - sorry

LNSflyer

Re: Episode #194 "The Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot Department

Postby LNSflyer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:31 pm

I have been interested in starting flight training for a couple of years now, but the only thing that has deterred me is the cost. 3 years ago, I began to look for a flight school to train with. I was 13 at that point so I was a little too young to begin. The cost for a privates license was about $4500. Now, at the same school in the same aircraft, it is now close to $5800. For that same 4500 dollar cost, i might as well drive a couple hundred yards down the road to train for a sports license for about 3500, or get a privates from that school at 6500. The cost is the only thing thats keeping me grounded.
Student Pilot flying an Evektor SportStar out of KLNS.

Return to “Episodes”