Episode #204 "Never Boozled"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Laminar

Episode #204 "Never Boozled"

Postby Laminar » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:59 am

The best episodes are the ones in which Jack maintains control, but just barely. And Amy's presence always makes them even better.

-Rick

randyc

Re: Episode #204 "Never Boozled"

Postby randyc » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:00 am

Is this episode out there somewhere? Can't seem to find the link from the webpage.

MrSparkle

Postby MrSparkle » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:03 pm

At the moment iTunes is probably your best bet.

randyc

Postby randyc » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:34 am

Found it by going to episode #203 and hitting the next "episode option."

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:34 pm

Regarding the OFLW

Guys I think I have to agree with you on one point that if I flight over significant water, I always have at least PFDs on boards for all occupants. I do this every time I cross Florida Bay to Key West. Like you said, WTF!!??

But if I were doing T&G's at KEYW, I don't believe I'd think too much about a PFD. Jeb and Amy know well the west coast of Florida. I'd ask Amy, her being a CFI, when training at Venice.. is the "practice area" out over the gulf shoreline? If yes, do the rentals at the school / FBO have PFDs on board? Do students regularly wear them when practicing over the shoreline?

I know at PIE (and around the Clearwater area) the "practice area" is designated over the Gulf shoreline from about St. Pete beach to North Clearwater beach. Usually no more than 3 miles off-shore, and below 6,000 feet. None of the few schools have PFDs on board the planes and no students or CFIs, that I've seen, use PFDs when in these areas. I didn't say it was smart... but I don't think many give it a lot of thought. Perhaps because we are "generally" within gliding distance of the coast. Or maybe it's because Fox 13 News will be there before the plane even hits the ground.

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Flying over open water may be the only time you want Fox News to show up. Saves the phone call to tell your Mother/wife not to worry.
Definition of Open Water must be outside gliding distance to shore or a big enough boat.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

AceAirspeed

Postby AceAirspeed » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:28 pm

Great episode... Aren't they all? I heard Amy mention several times that fixed gear planes tend to flip in ditchings. I took a water survival course just last week with the CAP and this was described in the class as a myth. I did a quick Google and found this as well... http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:54 am

AceAirspeed wrote:Great episode... Aren't they all? I heard Amy mention several times that fixed gear planes tend to flip in ditchings. I took a water survival course just last week with the CAP and this was described in the class as a myth. I did a quick Google and found this as well... http://www.equipped.com/ditchingmyths.htm

Don't know how that's a myth? It all depends on technique and how you land on the water. But if the gear grabs the water first you'll normally go over unless the rest touches down at the same time because the wheels will stop and the plane keep going.
Caelus latus sursum

AceAirspeed

Postby AceAirspeed » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:50 pm

ATC_Ben wrote:Don't know how that's a myth? It all depends on technique and how you land on the water. But if the gear grabs the water first you'll normally go over unless the rest touches down at the same time because the wheels will stop and the plane keep going.

What I'm reading is that the statistics don't support that the plane flips. One explanation is that the gear just cuts through the water and creates some pitching down motion, but not enough to flip the plane.

pilottony

Postby pilottony » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:57 pm

I just wanted sound off about water and my experiances. Ive owned several boats and have installed floats with retracts on two different planes that ive had. also ive seen a plane land on floats in the water with its gear down, and it wasnt pretty!! With the nautical experiance i have,i think if you land on water without floats, your going to end up,upsidedown. I have a BRS parachute installed on my Kolb Firestar and my Rans S9, and if i had to go in the water i would use the parachute.

TONY

Return to “Episodes”