Episode #204 "Never Boozled"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
fordan

Re: Episode #204 "Never Boozled"

Postby fordan » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:45 am

RigaRunner wrote:If the engine quits between 0 and 800 feet AGL, I will land straight ahead in the best possible place.
If the engine quits between 800 and 2000 feet AGL, pull the BRS parachute.
If the engine quits above 2000 feet AGL, I have a good chance of turning and gliding to the airport for a normal landing.

Do you modify this at all based on the situation, or is it hard & fast rules to make sure you do the right thing when in a chaotic moment?

I'd have a hard time pulling the chute when at 900 ft above fields or grasslands, and if I was at 1600ft and anywhere near an airport, I'd probably be looking to get back in there.

denverpilot

Re: Episode #204 "Never Boozled"

Postby denverpilot » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:42 pm

RigaRunner wrote:I fly a Cirrus, and I have been taught to think in terms of the following limits on take-off:

If the engine quits between 0 and 800 feet AGL, I will land straight ahead in the best possible place.
If the engine quits between 800 and 2000 feet AGL, pull the BRS parachute.
If the engine quits above 2000 feet AGL, I have a good chance of turning and gliding to the airport for a normal landing.

Interesting. I would think that somewhere between 800 AGL and 2000 AGL with training and high attention span, the "impossible turn" becomes possible and pulling the chute would be considered bad form, if you could put the aircraft back on the departure runway.

I'm not saying that's the best practice for everyone, nor am I saying at which altitude you in your aircraft could accomplish such a return, and the usual disclaimer holds: Please practice at altitude and know your limitations!

I've always thought the BRS systems had some interesting limitations that made them less useful for the absolutely most risky portions of every flight. But a great thing to have as a last-resort! (And no, nothing I've flown has had one, so I'm just talking out of my ...)

Just a thought,
--
Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com
Host: Mile High Flyers Podcast, but just speakin' my own mind here!

http://facebook.com/denverpilot
http://twitter.com/denverpilot

Return to “Episodes”