Episode #205 "Holy Parachute Water"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Jeb

Re: Episode #205 "Holy Parachute Water"

Postby Jeb » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Damn, Sue. Good work. Glad it all worked out and you didn't scrape up that nice Comanche!

Please let us know what the investigation finds.

Jeb

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Wow, Sue!!! Three things...

1 -- Excellent thinking and good judgment -- just outstanding...

2 -- Thrilled that something worked and kept that PA-24's skin -- and yours -- scar free...

2 -- Fantastic rendition....great story telling with an unexpected moral: Never quit trying stuff...that thing you're sure will never work just may :P

Dave

Trish7

Postby Trish7 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:30 am

Congrats Sue,

And thanks for the story. I'm a student pilot and the stories and the podcast have been so great in helping me keep going and in gaining confidence about flying. I would not have thought about climbing to try something like that and about how it would give you more "thinking" time - time to move beyond the "scared" that I'm pretty sure would be pretty overwhelming for me.

thanks again,
Patricia

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:35 am

Bringing the plane back to the mechanic who last worked on it is a sure way to spoil his day, but there dose seem to be a certain justice there.
And he will loan you his wifes new Lexus so you can drive home while he gets the mess cleaned up.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Andrew B

Postby Andrew B » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:12 pm

Congrats Sue!

Nice job staying cool in a tense situation. Thats what good piloting is all about. Im glad your Comanche is safe.

--Andrew
Andrew Blanchard
Purdue University '16
Aviation Technology

PropFan

Postby PropFan » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:26 am

"...seven stages of grief..." :D Great account, and way to go!

Comanche Sue

Postby Comanche Sue » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:45 pm

Thanks for all of the supportive comments, they are all appreciated.

I just found out yesterday what caused the gear to stick. The short story is, the grease was gone from the rod end bearings on the gear doors.

I got the airplane washed after we went to Oshkosh this year. I have never not done this job myself, so I was very cautious, or so I thought. I got a recommendation for a person from a mechanic at the FBO we stayed with on the way home from Airventure.

I met with the guy and specifically asked about the pressure washer that he had sitting by my airplane. I said that I didn't want the gear pressure washed and I was assured that it would only be used on the belly of the airplane to get the oil off. After it was washed, it sat in a hangar for a day to dry and we got the gear lubed by the FBO. When we looked over the airplane prior to leaving, I checked all of the lube points on the gear to see and verify the grease was there and was clean. I thought we had covered all of the bases.

Fast forward to yesterday when my mechanic had the airplane on jacks, reconnected the gear transmission/motor assembly and tried to raise the gear. It made a lot of noise and the gear would not come up so immediately they started looking closer at the gear parts. There are rods that work the gear doors which have bearings on the ends which need to turn when the doors come up flush to the bottom. They were locked up. Once they greased them, they worked as they should. I'm lucky I didn't break something when the gear came down.

When they dissasembled the wheels, water poured out of the axels and the grease was minimal on the wheel bearing and chase assemblies. In time, and probably not very long of a time, the wheel bearings would have siezed.

So I was correct that a pressure washer shouldn't be used on the gear (at least not THIS gear) and I was correct to have the gear lubed after such an event but there was more to it than that. My inspection fell a bit short as did my knowledge that the wheel bearings needed attention as well. I know better now.

Thanks again for the opportunity to share. Sue

Greg Bockelman

Postby Greg Bockelman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:16 pm

Congrats on 4 years. I have listened to all the episodes.

As far as stopping the prop in an imminent gear up landing, I have changed my thinking on this issue. As soon as it is evident that the gear is not going to come down, the airplane becomes property of the insurance company. That really isn't the time to try to be cute with stopping the engine and clocking the prop so it won't hit the ground. It just adds a level of distraction to the operation that really does not need to be there.

Besides, since it IS the insurance company's airplane at that point, they will end up paying for an engine rebuild and you would get a new engine out of the deal. That is, if they don't total the airplane. At any rate, why try to save money for the insurance company?

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:24 am

Greg Bockelman wrote:As far as stopping the prop in an imminent gear up landing, I have changed my thinking on this issue. As soon as it is evident that the gear is not going to come down, the airplane becomes property of the insurance company. That really isn't the time to try to be cute with stopping the engine and clocking the prop so it won't hit the ground. It just adds a level of distraction to the operation that really does not need to be there.

Besides, since it IS the insurance company's airplane at that point, they will end up paying for an engine rebuild and you would get a new engine out of the deal. That is, if they don't total the airplane. At any rate, why try to save money for the insurance company?

Good point. Doing my multi training we debated the point of making a single engine approach if you had gear issues (to save one engine). But after much discussion we (students and instructors involved) were of the opinion that it would actually cause more potential for a catestrophic 'foxtrot uniform' to become, rather than the belly or 'bicycle' landing would be in the first place. Even shutting down the engine in a single (whilst nice) should be far down on the list of priorities, concentrate on flying the aircraft and keeping it on the runway, the engine WILL stop when the prop hits the deck anyway!
Caelus latus sursum

Dave Higdon

Postby Dave Higdon » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:22 pm

Gotta say something here...about this string and the amazing, excellent evolution of a discussion :!: ...from the early points about low-cost flying and letting a little arrested development prevail, to the discussion about airmanship in the mountains, judgment calls when the gear goes FUBAR, and on and on... :D

Man, but made me feel like a proud godfather that all you friends come together here and hash out great info and stories and practice civility and humility along the way...man...ya'll are superb...now...anybody need some popcorn ;)

Dave

Return to “Episodes”