"I'm Just Sayin'" UCAP #215

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
champguy

Re: "I'm Just Sayin'" UCAP #215

Postby champguy » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I vote with gmarshal about leaving no slack in tie down ropes.
The jerk when the rope comes tight can do real damage. Particularly against chain.
The Bosun Hitch commonly taught for use with rope tiedowns is vulnerable to alternate slacking and jerking tight, which can lead to additional slack.
There is also the issue of a wing which already has some dihedral, lifting and exposing additional underside to the wind. Far better to keep things snug and not moving around.
It sounds like you guys aren't going to agree on preflight fuel management, but all can agree that fuel should be on the checklist, and taking long enough in the warm up to make sure the engine is going to keep running certainly adds peace of mind.
Thanks for the episode. It made a dark and rainy drive from Portland to Eugene down I-5 a quick and painless exercise. Nothing could have helped the next hour through the Coast Range, but safely home and ready for more.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:40 pm

randyc wrote:Rats...if I'd known you were going to be in Charley West I could have invited you to dinner! I live only 20 minutes away but didn't find out you were there until 2 weeks later.

That would've been great, and I'd love to see it happen. But the odds are long. They give is almost no spare time on these projects, so I get to spend very little time sightseeing and/or visiting friends.

But we can always hope.

// Jack

Swift

Postby Swift » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 pm

With reference to staying on the same tank or feeding from both on the ground, if you follow Mr Pipers PA28 checklist it is indeed taxi out on one tank , that proves the line has run from tank to engine, it takes less than 30s to feed through. Then prior to power checks as per the check list change tanks this then gives the aicraft time to prove that line works.Makes excellent sense.

Return to “Episodes”