"HRLHC&LAC" UCAP #221

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

"HRLHC&LAC" UCAP #221

Postby jackhodgson » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:11 am

As many of you have realized, there was a problem with the posting of UCAP 221. The main impact was that iTunes was downloading the wrong ep, as if it were #221.

I think I have it fixed now (knock wood).

I've reposted UCAP #221, now known as "221B". It downloaded OK for me manually and via iTunes, so I'm cautiously optimistic. You may need to press the "Get" button in iTunes. And those of you who got the ep correctly the first time are gonna get another copy, sorry 'bout that.

// Jack

Soccer-Jock

Tricopter

Postby Soccer-Jock » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 pm

Jack,
You've mentioned a couple of times you're enjoying your R/C Quadra-copter.
Thought you might be interested in what a bunch of Medical device engineers can concoct :D

A fellow engineer at ConMed is taking a stab at re-engineering a tri-copter design with a different IMU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZyrsgNtWg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVM1Ztb17lk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qb-3OP7EXM

PS - this the same circuitry that is the basis of the AHRS in any Garmin, Dynon, etc. You can see it wouldn't take much to interface the electronics to a display (like an iPad) and have a portable EFIS. The iPad doesn't have enough of the proper sensors to do it alone.

ruckin

Re: "HRLHC&LAC" UCAP #221

Postby ruckin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:05 pm

I spent a good portion of last weekend riding around in some civil air patrol 182 and 206 as part of my scanner training. The planes I rode in were at least 20 years old and the front seats had shoulder belts that reminded me of the shoulder belts that cars had in the late 60's or early 70's (a separate belt/buckle from the lap). The back seats didn't have shoulder belts but I spent most of my time twisted sideways looking out the window. It is also easy to believe that when the panel was designed "how dangerous will these knobs/buttons be in the event of a crash" was never brought up... Who knows in maybe another 20 years the planes being made will have belts and panel design that will remind me of the vehicles of today :)

Ruckin

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:52 pm

ruckin wrote: The planes I rode in were at least 20 years old and the front seats had shoulder belts that reminded me of the shoulder belts that cars had in the late 60's or early 70's (a separate belt/buckle from the lap).

LOL. I think of this every time I climb into the 1978 Cherokee I commonly fly (rent). As I run through the checklist, the the stiff and sun-faded shoulder strap keeps coming unhooked from the lap belt. Because it has no "retractor", the belt slack is adjusted manually and re-adjusted each time I need to bend forward and reach the fuel switch. I always think to myself... I hope I never really NEED to count on that belt. :roll:

Sven

Postby Sven » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:54 am

In this episode you mentioned a case where some guy was posting pictures of an RV7 build he was claiming as his own. The photos turned out to belong to someone else.

In the following link, the Chinese government took footage from Top Gun and used it pretending it was footage of a military demonstration. It's one thing when some poor sap gets busted and his girlfriend leaves him. It's another thing when a country does it to impress the world.

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/27/did_chinese_tv_pass_off_top_gun_footage_as_a_military_drill

-Sven
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:44 pm

It wouldn't be the first time the Chinese have borrowed something from the US and attempted to pass off as their own.

But the data in the story is inaccurate... thats not an F-5... it's clearly a MiG-28 :D

I can see the J-10 pilots interview now:

"Well WE,"
"Thankyou"
"Started up on his six, when he pulled through the clouds and I moved in above him"
"If you were directly above him, how could you see him?"
"Because I was inverted"
Caelus latus sursum

Return to “Episodes”