"David as Elmer as Bruce" UCAP #224

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
gmarshall

"David as Elmer as Bruce" UCAP #224

Postby gmarshall » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:18 pm

Great episode, as usual guys.

Used airplane radio was great. An interesting way to hear your opinions on some airplanes, perhaps it would be a fun way to explore some different categories?

Perhaps a new way to play fantasy hangar? Log into Trade-A-Plane or Controller.com with a set budget, and two or three missions you need to fulfill? Could make for a fun little game. Perhaps solicit the challenge on the forums or blog, then, day before the podcast everyone takes half an hour to make their picks. Then on the podcast, read out your hypothetical purchases and defend them. It's a little different from the typical fantasy hangar chat, because you're dealing with the reality of the used airplane market. :) Perhaps a good game to play when you've got a guest like Amy in the queue to act as in impartial arbitrator/judge?

On the subject of airlines pissing and moaning about how unfairly the world is slanted against them...

Airlines didn't pay for the construction of the vast majority of airports. Taxpayers did, all over the world. Airlines didn't even pay for most of the technology that they benefit from. GPS? Military. Pressurised jet aircraft? Military technology. Heck, even the 707 development costs were largely 'insured' by the KC-135 contract. This is being echoed by the shenanigans around the EADS/Airbus vs. Boeing tanker contracts. The future of the airline industry is largely being fought between the US and EU in who can subsidize their businesses the best without being so blatant as to get the WTO involved, IMO.

If you try to do the math, airline travel is *not* as cheap as everyone is led to believe by discount airfares and last minute seat-filler deals to the Caribbean.

Think of the basic logic of it, you get to the airport, are surrounded by an absolute beehive of activity. Check-in, security theatre, baggage handling, ground crews, aircraft maintenance, flight crews, air traffic control, aircraft depreciation/lease and then, at the VERY best, the airliner gets around 40 or 50 mpg per passenger (used to be 35 or so in the 747 days, and most people aren't flying between the 20 airports currently served by A380s), things start to look pretty pricey.

I think that if the true costs of air travel were borne by airlines and their passengers, you'd see a very different arithmetic. You might see more high speed rail being used, particularly in North America, and perhaps GA would make some financial sense for more people as well.

-Greg

Sven

Re: "David as Elmer as Bruce" UCAP #224

Postby Sven » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:44 am

Listening to Dave impersonate Robin Williams, as Elmer Fudd, singing Bruce Springsteen made me feel like a 152 getting progressive taxi instructions at O'Hare.
-Sven
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:46 pm

For the original Robin Williams song rendition, click on Elmer Fudd in the shownotes for Episode #224
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

plutocrat03

Postby plutocrat03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:25 pm

From a story on 2/11/2011 "The FCC Enforcement Bureau is warning consumers, manufacturers, and retailers, including online and Web-only companies, that the marketing, sale, or use of cell, GPS, and other jamming devices is illegal."

So can someone 'splain why the 4G proposal is on track to proceed?

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:32 pm

Jack, I heard you back peddling as they closed in on you about an older C-172. One with a sound airframe would be an investment that would serve you for years to come. Take as long as you wanted to spruce up the interior and think about a sharp looking paint job. That six cylinder O-300 is smooth as silk in the air, and there is not a more rock solid and versital airplane out there. Just need to find someone with space where you can keep it out of the weather when you aren't using it. You could always take out the back seats and maybe put on a climb prop when you want to play with shorter fields or come out here to fly in the mountains.
At OSH each year you could set up down in Vintage where it is always pleasant and have chairs, a table, a cooler, and a nice high wing to keep the sun off. But then you might miss the noise and traffic of the North Forty and the easy access to everything.
There will never be a better time.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Landis

Postby Landis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Scofreyjet wrote:For the original Robin Williams song rendition, click on Elmer Fudd in the shownotes for Episode #224

Thanks Jeff!

ezeflierid

Postby ezeflierid » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 am

Airports DO move (albeit rarely, and not far in terms of VFR OPs).. There was some discussion about using an old GPS and how airports don't move. I drive through Monticello, Utah fairly often and recently noticed that they appear to be replacing the old airport on the west side of the highway with a nice new one on the east side of the highway. I'm just happy that they aren't just eliminating it.

Cheers,

Matt-

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:45 pm

I'm sure pilots in Utah can handle the move. I just don't like to think what would happen if something like this happened back East, what with the soup and congestion folks there have to deal with.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Cavebear42

Postby Cavebear42 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 am

The 4G is claimed to not block GPS. The 4G people say that the tests which claim to block were not run on production equipment. Avweb covered it on their podcast. It sounds like we need an independent 3rd party to get involved since everyone who has looked at it has a dog in the fight.

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:15 am

I loved hearing y'all talk about Arcadia airport (X06). I use this sleepy little airpark as a "pit stop" often. It was also the first airport I landed at while on my first long cross-country during primary training. The highlights of the airport: The double-wide trailer (sort-of) that serves as the FBO, the fact that no one is ever actually at the desk of the FBO... which makes the next thing quaint: There are no vending machines. There is a refrigerator with a handful of Cokes and bottled water and a big red Solo cup that has "Drinks 50 cents" written on it in black marker. You grab a drink, stuff your money in the cup and go. Sometimes simple is great! :D

Another funny memory I have of Arcadia was about two years ago, my other half - who only tolerates flying in a small airplane because it gets us there faster and easier, but really doesn't love flying period - and I made a pit stop at Arcadia on a trip down to West Palm Beach. After our bio-break we taxi'd out, made the normal look down final and around the pattern, announced my intention to depart and was responded back by a gentleman who said he was turning final. I looked again, but could see no one. Both of us continued to look and still could see no one. So, of course, I announced back that I would hold short until he had landed and cleared.

Holding short and with brakes locked, I glanced down to double check my instruments, transponder setting, etc. When in my headphones I hear my other half say "OH... HELL NO!" I looked up to see this mature guy and his same-aged lady co-pilot sail across the threshold on a tandem trike with a delta canopy and make a beautiful landing. I was quickly informed that if I ever got the idea to try one of those, I'd be flying solo. :|

Return to “Episodes”