"Loss of Separation" UCAP #234

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
gmarshall

"Loss of Separation" UCAP #234

Postby gmarshall » Sat May 07, 2011 7:52 pm

Haven't finished listening, but I already have to respond.

You guys are all clearly all had it all wrong. There's no way that the most beautiful fighter jet is anything but the Hawker Hunter.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rm_arp.jpg

Of the modern jets, I think the F-22 might get the nod.

Though, technically, the YF-12 was a prototype interceptor, and I don't think any 'actual' fighter jet can come close. ;)

gmarshall

Re: "Loss of Separation" UCAP #234

Postby gmarshall » Sat May 07, 2011 7:56 pm

For ugly, there's a couple turboprop carrier aircraft that would have died of embarrassment.

http://www.models2u.co.uk/Shop/contents ... Gannet.jpg

Fairey Gannet. Overstuffed, suffering from propellor contrarotatoritis. Even the wings fold ugly.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~designer/models/f ... w-real.jpg

I'm pretty sure the Short Semew was a joke.

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Sat May 07, 2011 9:42 pm

No, no, no... the master of fugly goes to the Armstrong Witworth Argosy!

The modern day equivalent I think would be the Airbus 380-800! (I hold out hope that a stretch would improve it's looks)
Caelus latus sursum

ATC_Ben

Postby ATC_Ben » Sat May 07, 2011 9:44 pm

BTW Jack, I found the coffee deal I tweeted you about... Higdon wasn't too far wrong!

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/bu ... 24e72532a0
Caelus latus sursum

mvbluegrassflyer

Postby mvbluegrassflyer » Mon May 09, 2011 2:03 pm

Hi guys!

When The President comes to visit, Katama (1B2) gets some interesting treatment: After complaining about the TFR slamming the sight seeing activity, the Fed's helped to keep Classic Aviators (The biplane thrill and sight seeing guys) in business under the following conditions: First- Only one biplane can fly, must have a transponder with it's own discrete squawk code; Second- flights are allowed on the eastern most section of the island only, with a demarcation line some 4 miles south east of the airport. Third- they get their own TSA agent on site, who "wands" down each passenger. They also set up a remote field office with all the trimmings. Trust me, we're happy that the operation can run at all, and find the guys with the wands very personable and glad to be pulling that duty.

The fact that The President and his family come at the absolute height of the season really hurts business, with the restrictions keeping their 2nd biplane and the power-glider business grounded. But if the weather is good, the extra people who come to the island with the hopes of getting a passing glance as the 10 vehicle presidential motorcade speeds sparking down the country roads, does bring more people out to Katama Airfield.

Howie Marlin
AOPA ASN Katama Airfield Rep
http://www.AviationIsland.INFO
And they guy Dave met at the media lunch at SNF
Howard (Howie) Bruce Marlin AKA: Max Gross
Flying Musicians Association
USCG AUXAir D1NR
AOPA ASN for 1B2
Avitaionisland.info
Martha's Vineyard Community Services- DA24 Program Leader and Crisis Team member
508-687-0068

eaglepilot

Postby eaglepilot » Wed May 11, 2011 1:01 am

I don't know what kind of jet this is, but I like it!

f86t.jpg
f86t.jpg (124.09 KiB) Viewed 6378 times

Charley2

Postby Charley2 » Wed May 11, 2011 7:58 am

Jet?...What Jet?

Landis

Postby Landis » Wed May 11, 2011 12:00 pm

Jack - you've been away from the Bay Area too long. Come on back for another visit. We'll have to go on a Bay Tour and re-familiarize you with the local geography.

Mt. Tamalpais is in Marin County north of San Francisco. It's 2,600'. Mt. Hamilton is the mountain you apparently had it confused with and is 4,300' just ESE of San Jose. Both have some great trails but this guy and his dog were on the much lower and much closer to civilization Mt. Tam.

Forgive me, I know how difficult it is to talk extemporaneously about details without being sure of everything but as a Bay Area pilot and geographer I just couldn't stop talking back to my radio when listening to this story. :)
Attachments
MtTamOrHamilton.jpg
Mt. Tam vs. Mt. Hamilton
MtTamOrHamilton.jpg (126.45 KiB) Viewed 6353 times

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed May 11, 2011 7:35 pm

And while you are out here, slide up to Oregon and I'll fly you past Three Fingered Jack on the way to Sisters (6K5) where they have great Coffee, a bakery that can't be beat, and not a whole lot more except the scenery.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Sat May 14, 2011 12:49 am

Given his interest in motorcycles, I think Jeb would like this jet better:

S4-TantalizingTakeoffs035-Grumann-F-14-TomCat-CatherineMikulicich.jpg
S4-TantalizingTakeoffs035-Grumann-F-14-TomCat-CatherineMikulicich.jpg (44.34 KiB) Viewed 6265 times

Return to “Episodes”