"Loss of Separation" UCAP #234

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
PilotBillFromTexas

Re: "Loss of Separation" UCAP #234 - tsa nonsense

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sat May 14, 2011 11:42 am

I wrote my periodic notes to my elected officials to reiterate my feelings on the tsa issue. I got the usual canned responses from most.

The one that I got from Rep Burgess was kind of interesting because it sounds to me that he feels as though the tsa is starting to step over the lines of their authority in addition to annoying their constituents. So, if the tsa has become a little bit of a loose canon and congress could score some easy political points by reining in the tsa then I think that there is some ray of hope. I realize that he's just talking about a single issue but, you gotta start somewhere.

paraphrase
[dear taxpayer, bla bla bla...] As you are aware, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) recently purchased full body scanners that show the outline of the naked human body and allow TSA to detect high-density bomb-making materials. [bla bla bla...]

Over the past few months, I have received hundreds of phone calls from concerned constituents, and seen news reports of people who are outraged by TSA's invasive full-body scans and "pat-down" procedures that are now used in the name of national security. [bla bla bla... ]

Further disconcerting is the fact that Congress voted overwhelmingly to prohibit the TSA's use of full-body scanners as a primary screening method. H.R. 2200, the Transportation Security Administration Authorization Act, contained an amendment to prohibit the TSA's use of full-body scanners as a primary screening method. House Amendment 172 passed overwhelmingly by a vote of 310 to 118, but TSA has ignored this, and plans to deploy over 1,000 machines in use at airports across the country by the end of next year. Although this legislation did not get signed into law, the sense of Congress is clear – these invasive methods are not the best of TSA resources.

In light of our serious concerns regarding the agency's use of invasive tactics, I joined several of my colleagues in Congress to request that the House Homeland Security Committee conduct a hearing on the new TSA procedures.

[more bla bla bla..]

Sincerely,

Michael C. Burgess, M.D.
Member of Congress

champguy

Re: "Loss of Separation" UCAP #234

Postby champguy » Sat May 14, 2011 12:34 pm

It is a start, thanks.
I tend to be liberal, most of my friends are by degrees conservative.
In the last couple of years I have noticed that on most of the current problems we can agree.
We will come together and survive all this, as we have before.
And remember, A gallon of gas still costs less than a burger, just as it did fifty years ago. :lol:
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Sat May 14, 2011 11:35 pm

champguy wrote:And remember, A gallon of gas still costs less than a burger, just as it did fifty years ago. :lol:

Eating gourmet hamburgers? ;)

My concern is the big government mindset (and unaccountable Czars) which over the last few decades increasingly assumes that the masses are theirs to rule, instead of one of public service. I'm seeing it with the FAA. Instead of being here to help, some of them seem to think they run the airline. Scary thought, given the brain drain at the FAA, which the UCAP gang has pointed out in a recent episode. From the decisions I've seen lately, it is obvious that too many of their people lack operational experience.

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 am

The imperial "BIG GOVERNMENT", I've had my run-ins too, and big business are both out of control. Forty years of "Supply Side" and so called "Trickle Down" economics has left us with a middle class that can't buy a home, pay a mortgage, and send their kids to college. Executives used to earn forty times a worker's pay, now they seem to need 200 times. At that rate they don't even live in the same town, let alone just a "better" neighborhood with schools that can pay for the best teachers.
You can't run a capitalist economy without a safety net. If you think you can go check out Pakistan, see how that is working out. Nor can you allow free loaders or corporate special interests to bankrupt you. We have a lot going wrong on both sides, and the middle ain't holding.
And when I fly out for a burger, yes, I want a gourmet burger, to go along with that cheap middle east fuel we have been burning. Why pay more, burn theirs first. There will be plenty of time to burn our own reserves when theirs have run out.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

cozy171bh

Postby cozy171bh » Mon May 16, 2011 9:55 pm

I'll take the American Experiment over anything else....

mvbluegrassflyer

Postby mvbluegrassflyer » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:43 am

What a great Officers Club sign!
Howard (Howie) Bruce Marlin AKA: Max Gross
Flying Musicians Association
USCG AUXAir D1NR
AOPA ASN for 1B2
Avitaionisland.info
Martha's Vineyard Community Services- DA24 Program Leader and Crisis Team member
508-687-0068

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:32 am

mvbluegrassflyer wrote:What a great Officers Club sign!

:geek: Observation to all details... Thou must be a pilot. :D

Return to “Episodes”