Episode #249 "Playing Dave's Game"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Laminar

Episode #249 "Playing Dave's Game"

Postby Laminar » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 am

I found some discussion about the Stinson that took off through the trees, including some words by the pilot.

http://www.j3-cub.com/smf/index.php?topic=6000.15

Rick

ZharkovSe

Re: Episode #249 "Playing Dave's Game"

Postby ZharkovSe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:27 am

Dear Dave, Jeb and Jack!

I'd like to comment on the "Russian passengers force pilot to abandon takeoff after engine fire" story.

The engine was not actually on fire. Here is what actually happened from the words of the airline techical director:

OAT at the moment of engine start was about +45C what is almost critical temperature for that type of engines. One of three engines could not ignite due to high OAT. They have tried to start it while taxiing but that didn't helped - more cooling was needed.So the fire engines were called to cool down the parking place and engines with cold water. After this the engine successfully started. Such precedents are common - the trick has been previously often used while operating in Iran due to very high OATs.

Unfortunatelly as it often happens there was no good speaker from the airline to tell the passengers the whole story in right words without raising their susceptibility to the airplane airworthines. And mass media as always is making hot and breaking news without getting into much detail behind the event.

There is a lot to talk about the current state of russian aircraft industry - how and why it came to the current state of producing less then 10 airliners a year and what could be done to improve this slim situation, but with all my respect to you as wise and clever people, pilots and journalists, don't jump to conclusions only because the subject is not well known to you and it relates to Russia or former USSR.

I've listened to almost all your episodes except for the recent ones and I don't really want to get dissapointed in you.

With best regards,
Sergey Zharkov

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:04 am

Sergey,

Thank you for clarifying this for us. We're at Sun n Fun right now, so we're not doing "regular" eps for a little while. But we'll put your followup on "the list" and talk about it soon.

// Jack

ZharkovSe

Postby ZharkovSe » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:08 am

Thank You!
Sergey

ZharkovSe

Postby ZharkovSe » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:17 pm

Dear Jack!

It seems that this topic got lost somewhere on the list. I'd like to remind about it to "highlight" it on your list :)
Thanks,

Sergey

Return to “Episodes”