Episode #255 "The Reno Tragedy"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Laminar

Episode #255 "The Reno Tragedy"

Postby Laminar » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 am

This episode was more informative than anything produced so far by the "old media." You handled the topic with sensitivity, and without losing your commitment to objectivity and the truth. Very well done.

Jeb

Re: Episode #255 "The Reno Tragedy"

Postby Jeb » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:49 am

Thanks, man. Probably the toughest one we've done...

Jeb

Sven

Postby Sven » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:05 pm

There's a lot attenders who are processing this by finding out everything we can and learning things we didn't know. As a pilot I'm getting an education on all kinds of factors I never knew. Reconstructing the scene is good therapy and helps us to make sense of a situation that seemed out of control.

The first first responder was on the scene within 20 seconds. The ramp became flooded with people less than a minute later. People were willingly giving up their shirts and belts to use to render first aid. And the announcer cannot be overlooked. He immediately took charge and moved people out, called for all medical professionals to come in and calmed people down. Reviewing my pictures I noticed that two of the emergency vehicles had the words "Mass Casualty Unit" on them. These folks were prepared and practiced. They had the triage area set up in less than 5 minutes including places for the wounded to lay down away from the debris field. Their readiness and professionalism had to have saved several lives.

I will be the first to buy my tickets and make my reservations for Reno 2012. Along with many other attendees, we have to be there. I'm hoping there will be some sort of memorial placed on the site to honor those who were injured and especially those who lost their lives. And I would love to see a tribute to the incredible first responders.

Thank you, gentlemen, for so quickly producing this episode, difficult as it was. It brings a lot of clarity to this tragedy and honors those involved.

I'll see you in Reno next year. The beers are on me.
-Sven
Flying a Mooney M20D. One of only 3 fixed-gear Mooney aircraft still flying.

gmarshall

Postby gmarshall » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:38 am

I just wanted to chime in with my thank-you as well for the timely ep.

I know turning these things around, with all the trouble to get it edited and posted quickly can be a lot of work, so a double thank you to you, Jack.

-Greg

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:34 am

Just wanted to chime in.
You guys did a great job with this episode.
Your comments and general discussion were very careful. Thanks for your effort!

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Thanks, Gentlemen, for the Podcast. It was done with great care, respect, and without the hype of conventional media. No guesses, or suppositions, just a discussion of what is known. Thank you for your words and thoughts.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:36 pm

Thinking about the discussion in UCAP 255 of the racing planes' nose sweeping the crowd (however briefly and at great distance), has it been suggested to run the course around the crowd? That way, the planes never have to point at the crowd. Organizers could even stop traffic on the access roads in/out of the area during the heats. Airspeed's latest with the Pres of ICAS had some good insight into the 30-degree markers used by planes on the "banana pass", basically putting the crowd at the center of the arc, and directing energy away from the crowd.

-DJT
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:35 pm

At airshows, I understood, the performers aren't supposed to fly at the crowd for just this reason.
But at Reno, if the planes were flying around and around the crowd, and folks were drinking, some might get messed up and fall down causing injuries. I'd be pissed if this happened to me.
It will be interesting to see if there are changes.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

gmarshall

Postby gmarshall » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:19 pm

Napkin math time.... Lots of assumptions here, but it's meant to make a point, not prove anything.

Imagine the area covered by the race course, with a half mile swath on either side of it. That is a LOT of desert.

The odds that an out of control aircraft ends up in the spectator area are pretty small.

Obviously, it happened, but that doesn't make it a likely event. It was incredibly unfortunate, but it *was* a freak event.

"Area" of the course, assuming a half mile on either side of the center line: ~100 million square feet.
Area of the spectator stands: Assuming 400 feet wide, half a mile long: ~1 million square feet.

These numbers are simply illustrative, I'm pulling them more or less out of the air.

Anyway, the point remains, the spectator area covers perhaps 1 or 2 percent of the ground area around the race course. The number of crashes (there have been enough that this is statistically significant) at Reno where aircraft are completely out of control is small. Far more often the pilot has some say in where the aircraft ends up.

The odds that a race plane hits spectators is exceedingly small. A non-zero risk, to be sure, but as has been pointed out before, people get injured at car races far more frequently, and noone is saying maybe we shouldn't have Nascar or Indy.

Obviously, there's always room for safety improvements. I'll leave that to the experts though...

champguy

Postby champguy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Murphy's Law, "If anything can go wrong, It will".
Along with any level surface collecting a mess, never underestimate these things.
At airshows you are dealing with seasoned professionals who fly under strict rules, and plan to fly the same plane next week.
At air races you have tricked out hot rods flown by ageing type "A" folks whose ticket of admission was the ability to raise the scratch to bring spare motors to replace the ones they blew up.
I for one would rather watch the professional who plans to sleep with his wife after the show, and raise his children to adulthood.
The tragedy of this season was the loss of Amanda Franklin. A memory I will not forget, and a lesson for all of us to be careful out there every time we fly. People count on us.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Return to “Episodes”