"Dave's Innate Shyness" UCAP #258

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
baswell

"Dave's Innate Shyness" UCAP #258

Postby baswell » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:34 pm

You think jumping out of an aircraft and doing the wild thing on the way down is extreme?

You should try Base Humping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6Yy-B-k7h8

champguy

Re: "Dave's Innate Shyness" UCAP #258

Postby champguy » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:54 pm

Starts with wild jumpers flying out of aeroplanes, and ends with wild turkeys over town square. Great episode, thanks. Clearly there must be a place for folks who just want to have a little fun.
I'm all for youth, and having fun, but fly low enough long enough, and you're gonna get big bird through your prop and mess up your whole day.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Soccer-Jock

Postby Soccer-Jock » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:33 am

I commonly transport dogs on my plane.
I've transported cats, rabbits, and even an Iguana... though I drew the line at transporting a snake because it reminded me too much of a bad movie.

However the thought of placing a (live) turkey on board has never even crossed my mind. I suppose I'm just not living life to it's fullest.
Don't fly with an empty seat! Save a save life with Canine Rescue Flights

Proudly supporting LiveATC.net, uploading for St. Petersburg - Clearwater (KPIE). Click to Listen

although

Postby although » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:07 pm

Regarding the unfortunate accident discussed in the MrShoes blog. I've heard that some Muskateers use a fuel injection system that involves a return fuel line that only goes to one tank (I forget whether it was the left or right tank that had the return line). The result of this is that the fuel pump will deliver maybe 13gph to the engine, but the engine will only burn about 9gph of that fuel. The remainder is returned to the one tank with the return line. This makes for a potentially confusing situation that I could see creating a real problem for a new owner that hasn't figured out all of the idiosyncracies of the type yet.

Case 1. If you take off with full fuel and start flying on the tank without the return line, the returned fuel will be pushed out the full tank's vent at the rate of about 4gph. This will continue until the pilot switches to the return tank and makes some room for the returned raw fuel.

Case 2. A pilot who is unaware of the lopsided nature of fuel usage in this airplane, and who is handicapped with the usual flakey fuel gages, might just time his tank changes to keep them balanced. This technique works fine in most airplanes, but in the muskateer, the non-return tank will run dry significantly sooner than expected. A problem that can be greatly compounded if the pilot inadvertently started his day on the non-return tank (see case 1).

I wonder if MrShoes was aware of this...

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 am

I saw this recently and it made me think of the discussion about bat-suit skydiving.

The tag line embedded as the alternate text to the comic image says ‎"No avian society ever develops space travel because it's impossible to focus on calculus when you could be outside flying." +1
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2016: July 25-31 2017: July 24-30 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

Return to “Episodes”