"Stabilizers in a Pitch Flutter" UCAP #261

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
gmarshall

"Stabilizers in a Pitch Flutter" UCAP #261

Postby gmarshall » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:52 am

Absolutely love how you guys touched on the topic of Warbirds.

They're fabulous machines. Don't like what they were used for.

To me, part of the appeal of the WWII fighters was that they really hadn't been surpassed. No one's built piston engines more powerful, or prop planes any faster than those airplanes designed by teams of engineers and draftspeople with slide rules.

I still mourn the Pond Racer for not putting those beasts out of a job at Reno.

I think we're finally at a point now where some of the new airplanes are more impressive, and frankly, more beautiful, than those WWII aircraft.

Most of Rutan's designs, high performance sailplanes, Lancairs, etc. all look like more refined aerodynamic bodies than anything that came out of WWII. More attractive, to my eye, than any of the modern jet fighters, for that matter. You couldn't have said the same for a 172, or Cherokee, or 727.

Biggles71

"A380 incidents" UCAP #261

Postby Biggles71 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Just listened to episode 261 aboard an Emirates A380 from Dubai to JFK. Especially for Jack and Dave, some comments on the A380 "incidents":

First I believe I'm kind of informed on the three A380 incidents. ; I fly for Emirates (based in Dubai) and I'm just about to start my A380 conversion course,
(presently flying A330/340's for them).

It is clear that none of the 3 incidents are related.
First one was a Qantas A380 that suffered an uncontained engine failure out of Singapore about a year ago. This was by far the most serious one of the three incidents. The aircraft is still under repair a year later.

The second one you discussed is the Emirates A380 that diverted into Hydrabat, India on the way from Bangkok to Dubai. Without going into too many details (company policy) it was an electrical fault which was followed by an uneventful precautionary landing.

The third one was a Qantas A380 which diverted into Dubai after a low oil press indication. Engine was shut down as a precaution. Flight could have easily continued for at least a few hours on the remaining 3 engines, but the decision was made to land in Dubai since it has the largest A380 support in the world. After all Emirates has 90 of these birds on order, with 20 or so flying. By far the largest A 380 operator.

On a side note, a single engine failure on a quad as long as it is contained, is not even an emergency. Total fuel burn goes up by about 10% and that's it. Surely no need to land at the nearest suitable! So most of the time one has plenty of time to make an informed decision.

Thanks Jeb for keeping the boys on track! By the way I'm on my way to South FL on a flying holiday. Taking a C172 G1000 around the state and planning to island hop around the Bahamas for the next 2 weeks. Can we land at Hidden River?

By the way I agree that the A380 is not a beauty queen.... But it is oh so comfortable to fly in as a pax. Hang around the full size bar at the back of the upper deck for a few hours and then take a shower (First class only) before landing, at 38000ft! You'll know what I mean...

Anyway, thanks again for the podcast. Always the first one to listen to when it comes out!

Regards from an uneventful A380 flight!

PS: feel free to use this email during a next podcast if useful.

BJORN
Type rating examiner/instructor A330/A340
More importantly a GA pilot!
http://www.bjornmoerman.com/aviation
bjornmoerman@gmail.com
Flying was my first love and it will be my last one!

Scofreyjet

Re: "Stabilizers in a Pitch Flutter" UCAP #261

Postby Scofreyjet » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Hey all, don't forget to complete the UCAP Listener Survey!

http://uncontrolledairspace.com/survey
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Aviator1929

Postby Aviator1929 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:46 am

Enjoyed the episode as always. I liked the bit about the flight around the Statue of Liberty. Worth noting that at this time airplanes were not the fastest vehicles around. Mr. Curtiss had recently gone just over 136mph...on a motorcycle! (V-8, direct drive, with no clutch or suspension, and bicycle brakes :shock: )

http://www.nasm.si.edu/collections/arti ... 9520060000

Jeb

Re: "A380 incidents" UCAP #261

Postby Jeb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Biggles71 wrote:Thanks Jeb for keeping the boys on track! By the way I'm on my way to South FL on a flying holiday. Taking a C172 G1000 around the state and planning to island hop around the Bahamas for the next 2 weeks. Can we land at Hidden River?

Bjorn:

Absolutely you can land at Hidden River. Would love to meet you. When do you think you'll be in the area?

What can I do to help make your visit a success?

Jeb

Biggles71

Postby Biggles71 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks for the invitation Jeb. I was half joking about the Hidden River visit... In Everglades city now. Doing a Canoe trip tomorrow morning. Then continuing up North for a fuel stop at Naples and then to Whitted airport near St Petersburg for the night.

If we have time, we might quickly stop by at Hidden River, if so probably around 3.30pm- 4pm on the 17th. Registration is N121WW, C172SP.

Cu,
Bjorn :)
Flying was my first love and it will be my last one!

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:46 am

Ack! I won't be there tomorrow in the afternoon! Bummer...

But you're welcome to drop in and look around.

Whitted's a fun airport. Enjoy your travels!

Jeb

mbutorac

Postby mbutorac » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:18 am

Thank you so much for your comments on warbirds. It's a very fine line between honour/respect and glorifying.
Nothing matters but the weekend - from a Tuesday point of view.

Return to “Episodes”