Episode #263 "The Middle People"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
ATC_Ben

Episode #263 "The Middle People"

Postby ATC_Ben » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm loving the story at the end!

My alternate titles (based solely on Jack's story at the end):
- "Jack's ramble"
- "Why are they taking our bags off of the airplane?"
- "Way too many pilots on this airplane"
- "This airplane is not taking us to Chicago"
- "Run on board and try to kill people to get a good seat"
- "Remember your number"
- "Bring an extra lightbulb"
- "You're supposed to be on THAT airplane"
- "Six plus eight stripes"

Awesome work guys! :D
Caelus latus sursum

msawhill

Re: Episode #263 "The Middle People"

Postby msawhill » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:23 am

I was in Vegas this week for a convention, and I had a weird airline experience of my own on the flight home: a nearly empty flight. Since 911, I've generally found that airlines find ways to cancel all flights that aren't more than 99% booked. Given the additional charges for checked baggage, I'm generally accustomed to cabins packed to the absolute limit with passengers and baggage.

In the case of my flight from Vegas, I suspect my carrier (Delta) needed to reposition an aircraft, and ended up taking an underbooked MD-90 passenger load in a 757. The rear cabin was nearly empty, and they couldn't fill the first class seats due to weight and balance requirements (which I've NEVER witnessed in anything larger than an RJ). The most remarkable part about the whole flight was the initial climb. Holy cow! It's amazing what a 5-7 will do with a light load. Now I know how it must have felt to experience a shuttle launch. Absolutely amazing.

I fly the airlines regularly enough to maintain top-tier frequent flier status, but if there's one thing I've learned, it's that you've never seen all there is to see in airline travel!

M

gmarshall

Postby gmarshall » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:07 am

msawhill wrote:In the case of my flight from Vegas, I suspect my carrier (Delta) needed to reposition an aircraft, and ended up taking an underbooked MD-90 passenger load in a 757. The rear cabin was nearly empty, and they couldn't fill the first class seats due to weight and balance requirements (which I've NEVER witnessed in anything larger than an RJ). The most remarkable part about the whole flight was the initial climb. Holy cow! It's amazing what a 5-7 will do with a light load. Now I know how it must have felt to experience a shuttle launch. Absolutely amazing.

Because the 757s are certified for some very long range operations (4500+ miles), they have to be able to successfully climb out after an engine failure with quite a load. That means they generally have a much better thrust to weight ratio than 4 engine aircraft, or than shorter range twins when loaded for similar length legs.

Interestingly enough, some versions of the 757 have the same thrust to weight ratio as a Concorde with it's afterburners off (about 0.35lbs thrust / lb at gross).

COFlyer

Airspace

Postby COFlyer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:04 am

The UCAP gang talked about mods to the DC-area SFRA -- I'd be interested in their comments on the airspace around PHX with respect to the tragic Twin Commander crash into the Superstition Mountains east of PHX on Nov. 18. The floor of the Class Bravo (after an FAA modification for commercial air traffic in ~ 2006) is 5000 MSL to within a few miles of the 5000+ ft. mountains. Not a good mix.

Bob
States I've flown in:

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:45 am

Holly Run to Tangier Island

Just to bring you guys up to date, this year's annual "Holly Run" to bring the greens by airplane to isolated Tangier Island in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay saw 45 airplanes participate.

That's a lot more than the "ten or fifteen" that Jeb remembered from days past. Much of the credit goes to Helen Wood of Chesapeake Sport Pilot flight school at airport W29 (look it up on AirNav).

The Washington Post carried a very informative news story by a reporter, Susan Svrluga, who flew along. There is a photo gallery and a map, too. http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dozens-of-small-planes-fly-holly-and-christmas-cheer-to-remote-tangier-island/2011/12/03/gIQAV6T1PO_story.html
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Riga,

Thanks for the report. I think we mentioned about his year's success of the Holly Run in a later ep. It looks like a lot of fun. Something to put on my "bucket" list.

// Jack

Return to “Episodes”