UCAP #283 "487 Miles"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
ARFlyer

UCAP #283 "487 Miles"

Postby ARFlyer » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:29 pm

I found a FAA Carbon Monoxide article that deals with the Comanche crash. The article even includes photos of the crash site. In the article it states that before the doctor realized he was on the ground he went over his landing checklist.

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/safety/pilots ... forweb.pdf

Paulie_P

Re: UCAP #283 "487 Miles"

Postby Paulie_P » Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:21 am

To add more info to the Off Field Landing of the Week. Jeb is correct, the 152 belongs to Mid Island Air Service. The flight was an instructional flight with CFI and Student. The CFI is the Assistant Chief Pilot for Mid Island Air Service. Mid Island Air Service has the contract for providing flight instruction to Dowling College's Professional Pilot Students.
Paul Pilipshen - Aviator
You can use my full name. I try not to write anything I wouldn't stand behind.

Laminar

Postby Laminar » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:55 pm

The story about mistaking Venus for traffic is a classic example of a news bureau getting it wrong and then getting copied over and over again, without anyone bothering to check original sources.

Venus had nothing to do with the incident. The planet is mentioned in the official report, but it obviously didn't cause the incident. Once again, irresponsible reporting hurts the reputation of a professional, and hurts aviation in general.

-Rick

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:12 pm

Sigh - Why report the whole truth when a tiny piece of the story can be inflated to be an exciting headline?

I've updated the shownotes to better represent the whole story. Thanks for the information Rick!
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

kswim94

Postby kswim94 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:25 pm

Wasn't sure if it would have been better to post this under logbook memories. But, during shout-outs, Jeb mentioned the Findlay air rally, which took place today. Unfortunately I had to work and couldn't make it. But my dad (we share the airplane) and my son made it over and WON! Now, there were only 2 other entrants this year - but a good time was most certainly had by all. And the record they set will be hard to beat (arrived within 20 seconds and 0.5 gallons of their calculations).

Perhaps what most noteworthy of this event was that it was arranged by Ian, an 18yo who is aspiring to a career in aviation and will be attending Ohio University in the fall. He managed to put out the word here and there, found one or two sponsors to provide prizes. Breakfast was there for the departures, and pizza was waiting upon arrival. We were certainly inspired by his resourcefulness.

So now, my dad and my son, "The Flying Tigers," will have their names emblazoned on a trophy with all entitled bragging rights. Defense of their championship begins same time next year for all those up to the task. I'm throwing down the gauntlet and hoisting their trophy at the same time. See you there.

kswim94

Postby kswim94 » Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Here's a photo of my son taunting you with his bounty
IMG_0073.JPG
IMG_0073.JPG (194.64 KiB) Viewed 2358 times

Return to “Episodes”