Alan Smithee" UCAP #288

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
PilotBillFromTexas

Alan Smithee" UCAP #288

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:16 am

I once hand propped an l-4. It was really sobering to step up in front of a prop that I knew would be spinning in a few seconds. I knew that the wrong thing to do would be to stand too far away so as to be leaning into the arc of the blades so I stepped up. "switch on!" I put my hands on the prop with just the very top of my finger tips towards the inbord section of the prop and pulled down. I was a little too timid the first time and the effort wasn't enough to start the engine.

A rush of adrenaline hit me because I knew my second attempt would be more vigorous and would actually start the engine. And it did. It was again sobering this time standing inches away from a spinning prop. I froze for a fraction of a second. I had to consciencly remind myself to step away.

Having done it once, I don't think that it would be a big deal to do it again. I think that it would just be intuitive the next time.

My wife freaked when I told her because my daughter was with me. She had visions of my daughter witnessing her father being run through a cuisinart.

champguy

Re: Alan Smithee" UCAP #288

Postby champguy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:50 pm

Proping small Continentals becomes routine, but it remains a serious undertaking. I will not allow anyone to stand around watching or talking to me. Tail traggers are safer because the angle of the prop leaves your hands moving away as you pull it through. I did start an O-320 once on a Grumman. It ran, I didn't get hurt, but I'd rather not do it again.

One comment on the Afordaplane caught my attention. It is hard to build it and actually make the Part 103 weight limit.

For my money and effort, if it had to be 103 legal I think one of the 103 legal weight shift trikes would make a lot more sense, and be every bit as much fun to fly. Try (http://www.northwing.com/)

If it had to be a three axis, conventional aircraft, I'd go a hundred pounds over, register it experimental, and fly it as light sport. I'd be looking at a T-Bird (http://indyaircraftltd.net/) or a Hiperlight (http://www.pilotmix.com/index.php?pgid= ... axInfo=214). Something with all the fun of a part 103 but rugged enough to carry me and a sleeping bag and bring me home again every time.

As always, the most important thing is to pick something you can afford to own and fly.

Life can be good, your option.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:27 am

From Wikipedia-

"Alan Smithee (also Allen Smithee) was an official pseudonym used by film directors who wish to disown a project, coined in 1968. Until its use was formally discontinued in 2000,[1] it was the sole pseudonym used by members of the Directors Guild of America (DGA) when a director, dissatisfied with the final product, proved to the satisfaction of a guild panel that he or she had not been able to exercise creative control over a film. The director was also required by guild rules not to discuss the circumstances leading to the move or even to acknowledge being the actual director."

As I recall, there used to be an anonymous film critic that used the same name, but I don't remember which magazine (men's magazine, or other type, I just do not recall).

Do I win a Leinie's?
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:52 am

You are correct sir!

You can pick up your prize leinies at a future UCAP beer bust.

// Jack

hopmedic

Postby hopmedic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:53 am

I'm not a pilot (yet), so this was a big deal to me, but probably won't be to any of you... I get to hand-prop a Chief for one of our pilots doing Young Eagle flights - first time was about 2 or 3 months ago.

Last week our EAA chapter hosted the Ford Tri-Motor. One of the positions that chapter members can perform is "starter. That's the person standing outside the plane, in direct eye contact with the pilot, who gives the pilot the signal that everyone is clear, and points to each engine that it is clear for him to start. I asked one of the guys if I could "start" the Ford on one of its flights, and he told me that since I wasn't a pilot, I'd have to hand-prop it. LOL

On the last day that the Ford was here, I took the day off from work, and got to fly with them to Concord, NC, and I got to spend 1.1 hours in the right seat, flying the plane. SWEET. Before we left, though, I got to "pull through" one of the engines. I hadn't done that before.
--
Rich

Enter any 11 digit prime number to continue...

Laminar

Postby Laminar » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:59 pm

This probably doesn't count as "hand propping." I actually watched somebody do this once.

BungeeStart.jpg
BungeeStart.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 2916 times

jarheadpilot82

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Creamy Dark would be a fine Leinenkugel for a later date, Jack.

BTW, did you receive my off-line email I sent you several weeks ago? I know you are on the road, so, I was not sure.
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:39 pm

Creamy Dark it is.

// Jack

baswell

Postby baswell » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Don't forget you also can't hand prop a Rotax 912. The combination of having the reduction drive and the electronic ignition just makes it impossible.

You can't even air start the things. If they stop in flight, the prop stops and you can't get it to turn. OK, maybe approaching Vne in a dive? Better have enough power in the battery to use the starter motor after you solve the problem...

Aviator1929

Postby Aviator1929 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:07 am

We regularly prop some fairly large engines at Rhinebeck, but have to go through some serious training before we are allowed to do so. Most radials I've propped have not been too difficult, even a 220 Continental isn't that bad. I'm not crazy about starting tricycle gear airplanes though, the angle of the prop disc tends to make you lean in toward the blades. We have a 400hp Liberty that takes two guys to start, that one is an experience...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFy8YUwTrSQ

Return to “Episodes”