Episode #290 "Out Past Pahrump"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Scofreyjet

Episode #290 "Out Past Pahrump"

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:37 pm

A new forum member (Dan-PA-30) included this information in his UCAP forums registration request:

A possible explanation with respect to the laminated washer discussed in the current show:

I believe what you have is a laminated or "peelable spacer". It is frequently used in an assembly to align or obtain a specific dimension where variation among parts being bolted together may be present.

Laminated spacers were frequently used on the Space Shuttle for the alignment of disconnects. An exact dimension can be obtained by peeling away the excess thicknesses. No stocking of different thicknesses or a overhead of having the machine shop make an exact spacer.

Regards, Dan W.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: Episode #290 "Out Past Pahrump"

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Here are the pics I took, and shared with Jeb & Dave, of this odd "washer"

// Jack

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:49 am

I did a quick Google search, and got a hit on an old Army Technical Manual for electro-mechanical rotary actuators (servos) that referenced some units assembled with "peelable spacers". This was dated 1964. Just a bit of extreme spacer trivia...
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

Biggles71

Re: Episode #"290 Electra print

Postby Biggles71 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Jack and rest of the boys,

Glad you enjoy the print made by Lothar in Germany. Really like my copy of it as well!
I'm the photographer and a longtime listener. As Lothar stated, fly for a living on large Airbusses ( A380's and the like) out of Dubai.
You might not make the link, but we met at the Sun n Fun radio station the day before the famous storm. Actually the same episode when Brad gave you guys the first box of chocolates!

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend AirVenture this year...maybe next year!

More of my aviation stuff can be found at : http://www.bjornmoerman.com/Aviation/
The original Electra image lives at: http://www.bjornmoerman.com/Portfolio/A ... 39_rR3RsNS

Fly safe,
Bjorn
Flying was my first love and it will be my last one!

msawhill

Postby msawhill » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:35 pm

I can't believe you didn't make the title "Eleventeen by Seventeen"!

M

UCAP_Mark

Postby UCAP_Mark » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:06 pm

Yes, these are adjustable shim washers. I've used similar items for installing computer racks where alignment was critical.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:12 am

msawhill wrote:I can't believe you didn't make the title "Eleventeen by Seventeen"!

Did I say that? I think maybe I did. I blame it on the leinies.

// Jack

Return to “Episodes”