Ep #292

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
MNpilot1994

Ep #292

Postby MNpilot1994 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:32 pm

For the topic of the ATC trainees being in the tower and on the frequencies, I had the awesome opportunity to do a job shadow at Flying Cloud (KFMC) in what the controllers referred to as the Cab (basically the 360 degree windowed room in the tower). What I noticed when I was there is that at each controller's station there are two plug-ins for a head set, the purpose of which is that when one controller leaves and the next one comes they record the briefing on the traffic status and that there is never a time that the frequency of that station is un-monitored. Also in the tower there is an extra station that is for the tower supervisor, this station as three headset ports, one labeled Trainer and the other two labeled trainee. After i noticed this the same labels are at each of the main stations. So my Assumption is that there is always a trainer plugged into the stations that the trainee is working from.
AJ

DJTorrente

Re: Ep #292

Postby DJTorrente » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:48 am

Re: Country Club at the Airport

Jack, check out Flying W airport (N14), Lumberton, NJ. There's a restaurant on the airport with a deck overlooking an airplane-shaped pool.

http://www.flyingwairport.com/
http://goo.gl/maps/jM1R (Google Maps Satellite view)

-DJT
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

Scofreyjet

My Bicentennial Episode! (sort of)

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:56 pm

I was surfing around in the old shownotes the other day, and it occured to me that the first episode that (I know for sure*) I did the shownotes for was Episode #92. That was almost four years ago - yikes :!: I was really surprised it's been so many and so long.

Given these facts though, I've decided to commemorate Episode #292 as my Bicentennial Episode (for no particular reason other than it strikes me as kind of cool!)

For me, UCAP has been a sort of "gateway drug" into new media, social media, and the greater aviation social network. I've met or communicated with a bunch of great aviation folk who I wouldn't have known if not for the UCAP Forums and meetups. Some of those I've met I now call friends.

I still look forward to the release of every episode and every new forum post, and I hope you'll forgive me if I admit that being listed as part of "Team UCAP" is a source of some pride. :oops:

So thanks to Jack, Jeb and Dave for all that they have put into UCAP so far, and thanks to all of the UCAP Listeners who contribute via the forums and other forms of feedback. Here's to another 292 episodes!
-Jeff-

(* I might have done a couple before that, but I can't confirm it. #92 has an IP address I know was mine at the time.)
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: My Bicentennial Episode!

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:26 am

Jeff,

I'm so glad to hear that you're getting something from your work with us on the 'cast, because I can't express how valuable you have become to us.

Your terrific work with the shownotes is a wonderful resource for the listeners, and it has made it possible for me to focus more on the recording/posting of the podcasts. And your recent pitching-in to help with the Forums is also an invaluable contribution to Jeb, Dave, and I, as well as all the listeners.

Thank you so much.

// Jack

Dave Higdon

Re: My Bicentennial Episode!

Postby Dave Higdon » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:51 am

Wow...congrats on your big, BIG 200, Jeff! And thanks for your immense contributions to our little corner of the new-media universe...wouldn't be the same without!

See you at Osh!

Dave

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Has it been that long? Jeez...

Jeff, thanks for all you do. It's always a pleasure working with you!

See you in a couple of weeks!

Jeb

Warmkessel

Postby Warmkessel » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:59 pm

Jack, Jeb, Dave

Thanks for the shot out. It is a real honor to be recognized by one of the best Aviation PodCast on the web.

J.R.

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 pm

I'd like to suggest a shout-out for the Naples, Florida airport, KAPF, which has just constructed a viewing platform and kids' play area at the west end of the airport near the run up and take off area for runway 05.

The treated wood platform is about 15 feet off the ground, perhaps 20 by 20 feet, and surrounded by a good handrail. There's a parking area right beside it. Even before the project was finished, this had become a favorite spot for parents (and grandparents) to take the youngsters. From there they could watch the many private jets, little single engine prop planes, and other air traffic land and take off.

I don't know who paid for this public facility, but this is the kind of thing that enables and encourages aviation fans of all ages.

Little ol' Naples has done more for the spirit (and business) of aviation than many of the big commercial airports -- the ones like KDCA -- that closed their observation decks to the public.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

Laminar

How to settle the drone debate

Postby Laminar » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:30 pm

I've got it.

During the phase-in period, offer free passenger rides on the drones to members of the general public. When the waiting list gets sufficiently long, we will welcome the drones into the National Airspace System.

Just an idea, from the guy whose door keeps popping open.

-Rick

PS Congrats on your milestone, Jeff!

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:09 pm

RigaRunner,

Thanks for the shoutout suggestion. I agree, very worthy.

We'll get to it, but probably not till after OSH.

// Jack

Return to “Episodes”