Uncontrolled Airspace Episode #301 "Snarge"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
cphillips103

Uncontrolled Airspace Episode #301 "Snarge"

Postby cphillips103 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 am

I was on an IFR ticket last year Summer during a TFR for Airforce One flying into Newark.

The controller had to clear the space because AF1 was inbound. We had the choice of leaving the area or speeding it up so we could land at Morristown before AF1 came in.

We made it to Morristown on time and we could hear AF1 working the radios while in bound to land.

So it appears that when it's obvious that AF1 is coming in or leaving under a TFR they'll announce themselves. Maybe not so much when cruising across the country.

-CP

champguy

Re: Uncontrolled Airspace Episode #301 "Snarge"

Postby champguy » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:17 pm

I still don't know how publishing the current location of the President makes anyone safer.
If they just gave Airforce One a code name like "Fat Albert" or "Morning Glory" we would all be fooled, and free to go about our business un-disturbed.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

LNSflyer

Postby LNSflyer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:25 pm

I'm not too sure ATC would announce the current location of Air Force 1. If they did, you would be able to determine its location very easily by listening to LiveATC and then using FlightAware, figure out a rough estimate of its location by the reports from other A/C in the vicinity. But thats just my 2 cents idea.

From documentaries I've seen TV, History Channel I think, usually Air Force 1 flies in a flight of 2. It includes Air Force 1 and then the other SAM. They will change position along the route and the number or people who know which plane the president is actually on is very small. I assume its a tactic to thwart terrorists by making multiple targets.
Student Pilot flying an Evektor SportStar out of KLNS.

LNSflyer

Postby LNSflyer » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:41 pm

And to go with the C-17 landing. This whole story seems very fishy. They "landed at a wrong airport". BUT, there were items taken off of the plane!! This seems very unusual..
Student Pilot flying an Evektor SportStar out of KLNS.

cphillips103

Postby cphillips103 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:45 pm

The TFR's are broken down between space flight, air shows/sports, security, hazards, hi disasters, VIP, special, and search and rescue.

So if the president is coming in for a fund raiser, that would be a VIP TFR. Per the rules, you can be in the TFR space if on a flight plan or under flight following up until the arrival of the VIP. At that point, non scheduled or non essential flights will need to be outside of the TFR while the VIP is in transit. Being in NY, this happpens frequently.

Now, the caveat is that you never know who is on the flight. Just that it is VIP. AF1 usually flies with multiple versions so you never know if it's the real deal or an empty one.

Now if you see 15 unmarked SUV's heading down the highway a little later I think at that point you know who arrived. If there was an ambulance following closely behind that was Dick Chaney in one of the trucks.

-CP

thelaker

Postby thelaker » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Regarding the weather commentary, I guess I'll be the first to point out the irony of talking about "doing what we can to minimize" climate change on a podcast that supports one of the more carbon intensive activities that we engage in on an individual level. We could all do our part and just stop flying planes....

Seriously though, I suspect that either adaption or geo-engineering is in our future, since any other possible solution to reducing CO2 emissions is even more unpalatable (unless someone invents cold fusion in a can in the near future). Even worse, the United States isn't even the major source of emissions anymore. As India and China develop, we won't have any hope of reducing CO2 emissions. This guy (http://www.consumerenergyreport.com/201 ... countries/) has one of the more realistic takes on the subject.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:33 am

I think that one of the human race's greatest strengths is our ability to adapt to change. I would have preferred that we avoided doing the things that have cause this climate change, but that flight has left the gate. So now we adapt. As the man said, it will either kill us, or make us stronger.

hmng

Postby hmng » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:13 pm

LNSflyer wrote:And to go with the C-17 landing. This whole story seems very fishy. They "landed at a wrong airport". BUT, there were items taken off of the plane!! This seems very unusual..

I don't think there is anything unusual about lightning up the plane as much as possible to ease the take off on a short runway.

Skytrash

Postby Skytrash » Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:12 pm

A couple of years ago there was a presidential TFR around the bay area. I filed IFR to get out of PAO as it was in the 30 mile radius but not the 10 mile. I was following the normal IFR departure in VFR conditions. Just prior to intercepting the airway between san jose and livermore I commented to my passenger "that looks like a blue and white 747". A minute later air force one passed within a few miles and about 3-5 thousand feet above us. Granted a two place RV is not much threat to any 747 but I thought it was unusual that ATC would let us be that close to AF1.

Blue Skies
Jim Bray
RV-9A, KJAQ

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:55 am

Everyone knows that terrorists don't fly IFR.

Return to “Episodes”