Episode #308

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
MNpilot1994

Episode #308

Postby MNpilot1994 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:29 pm

Here is the link to Turbo Wing International's Cessna 337 Skymaster page. They also have a Cessna 207 Skywagon that has also been retro fitted and supposedly test flown 100 times with a change in Takeoff distance over a 50 ft barrier from 1,900 ft to 400 ft.

http://turbo-wing-development.org.magna ... ncept.html
AJ

bruceh

Re: Episode #308

Postby bruceh » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:02 am

Thanks for finding this link on the Turbo Wing.

I put on the podcast today and was surprised to hear them talking about my posting and pictures. Certainly made my day!
And yes, the text on the doors said "Experimental". The panel inside was pretty torn up, but across the top were 4 sets of gauges for the wing motors.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H now FLYING!
http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project

Aviator1929

Postby Aviator1929 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:42 pm

With all the mosquito talk, thought I should share this... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNzDg_6uLZQ

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:48 pm

Pearson has indeed been there for quite a while. By their account it is the oldest continuously operating airfield in the country. It was a military field and West Coast High Command from well before before WWI.

Pearson is (or was a year ago) Class E, and a fun approach with a base to final turn at about the tenth floor of some down town Vancouver buildings. The proceedure has been to call PDX tower on the way in and listen to a short speech about staying below and out of the Class Bravo, then switch to the CTAF proceeding as normal.

The problem as I understand it is that traffic on approach from the West is very close to the PDX approach and if the GA traffic has a transponder on it trips some new proximity alarm in the commercial traffic which requires a go around by standard opperating proceedures. The airlines are upset and rather than adapting their own SOP, they put heat on the local FAA Poobas who overreacted.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

sballmer

Postby sballmer » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:04 pm

More often than not, circular exclusions form class C airspace is all that remains from former airports.
This is true at my home field KSYR, and the google sat view confirms that this is also true at KPDX.

(it just hurts to see a road built thought the middle of a runway...)

rtabs

Postby rtabs » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:01 pm

sballmer wrote:More often than not, circular exclusions form class C airspace is all that remains from former airports.
This is true at my home field KSYR, and the google sat view confirms that this is also true at KPDX.

(it just hurts to see a road built thought the middle of a runway...)

sballmer is correct. Evergreen Airfield used to operate there. One of many small classic airfields we no longer have.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:28 pm

Thanks for all the great followup on this ep.

Even with more info, that Turbo Wing thing seems implausible to me.

The Mosquito thing is VERY cool, and it sounds like we might get to see it here in the states. Dave will be beside himself.

After we did the ep I dug into Google Maps and saw the old Evergreen airport in the circular cutout near Portland. Bit of trivia I landed there about 15 years ago for a flyin we travelled to from the Bay Area.

Thanks all.

// Jack

pa32dude

Postby pa32dude » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:33 am

Regarding the Pearson (VUO) airspace issue, the analogy with Dead Cow is not really that accurate. First of all, PDX is quite a bit busier than you assume, 600 ops/day vs. 450 ops/day for ICT. Then VUO is much, much busier than Dead Cow: 146 ops/DAY vs. 72 ops/MONTH. Finally, Dead Cow appears to be more abeam the ICT runways than VUO is with respect to PDX. The big issue at VUO is arrivals to PDX's 10L, they intersect with the extended centerline of VUO's runway 8 at a rather inconvenient spot where the jets are quite low.

I learned to fly in the Portland area over 25 years ago and have been based here continually since then, so I'm pretty familiar with the issue, which is real enough. The GAN article you link to sums up the facts pretty well, nobody worried about it much until the advent of TCAS. I'm not sure what the right answer is (that will satisfy the Feds), but the "hot box" sure ain't it - that will pretty much kill Pearson, whose land has been coveted on and off by the City of Vancouver anyway.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:19 pm

p32dude,

Thanks for the hard data comparison of Pearson and Dead Cow. You make good points.

So is it the consensus among the GA community out there that this is more in the service of the TCAS boxes than actual safety concerns?

// Jack

pa32dude

Postby pa32dude » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:48 pm

jackhodgson wrote:p32dude,

Thanks for the hard data comparison of Pearson and Dead Cow. You make good points.

So is it the consensus among the GA community out there that this is more in the service of the TCAS boxes than actual safety concerns?

// Jack

As I understand it, the big issue right now is the TCAS alerts. One could argue that TCAS alerts on short final ARE an actual safety concern for the air carrier pilots. Having a permanent tower at VUO, as discussed in the article, might help the situation, but the question of who will pay for it will undoubtedly come up.

Return to “Episodes”