EP #309

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
fr12

EP #309

Postby fr12 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:48 am

Just had a look at the "plane hitting a car" video. It's hard to tell from Google maps, but it looks like the displaced threshold is preceded by yellow markings, which indicate a taxiway aligned with the runway and not a displaced start to the runway. Either way, the AIM (which is not a FAR) defines the threshold as "The beginning of that portion of the runway usable for landing", but looking closely at the video, it looks like the underside of the nose impacted the top of what looks like a Volvo XC90. Quick trip to the parking lot here with a tape measure, means that he was less than 3 feet of the ground when he was over the road, still descending with no sign of a flair, it's not clear if he would have even made the pavement had there been no car. It does look like he is 'diving' for the end of the runway. There is also a car crossing the end of the runway as the Cessna approached on final so he should have been aware of potential obstructions. Not knowing if the pilot was familiar with the airport, it's not possible to say what he was trying to do.

thelaker

Re: EP #309

Postby thelaker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:01 pm

Regarding airspace "cutouts": In my neck of the woods, the class C airspace around KLAN has a mysterious cutout just to the east of KLAN for the former Davis Airport (http://www.airfields-freeman.com/MI/Air ... html#davis) which closed in 2000. The land at Davis has been redeveloped and will never be an airport again. I always thought it was strange that the primary airport within the class C couldn't claim this airspace to form a proper circle, but I guess the regulatory/bureaucratic hurdles for this kind of change must be too high to be worthwhile.

PilotBillFromTexas

Postby PilotBillFromTexas » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:01 am

Notice in the news photos that the airplane had little or no flaps extended. One of the local FBOs teaches "no flap" landings to its students. There is a cafe across the runway where I have spent many a Saturday morning with my fellow delinquent aviators judging landings of fledgling aviators. We see it all the time; student pilots who have not yet developed a good sense of speed control will not let the speed bleed off before pointing the nose of the airplane down towards the runway. They come screaming down final, float most of the length of the runway then jam the brakes on for everything they're worth to avoid running off the end of the 3,500' runway.

A buddy of mine trained there and actually did run a C-150 off the end of the runway and bent the nose gear. (He is now IR COMM 500+ hours) They don't use 150's much anymore. Now they use mostly new 180hp C-172's which are a lot heavier.

This guy didn't look like he was too fast in the video but, my personal theory is that the students are sub-consciencely trying to eek out every inch of usable runway by landing as short as possible. The instructor probably had him land on the numbers further down the runway but, once he started solo flights found it easier (less scary) to land a little shorter.

52F is overall a nice safe airport. It is just a busy training airport. I can confirm that there is no stop sign. The words "stop" are painted on the ground. They are usually faded and look like a 3rd grader did it.

pa32dude

Postby pa32dude » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Driving home from work last night and listening to episode 309, I was surprised to hear my name (well, my handle anyway) taken in vain in a follow-up to the VUO airspace issue. No big mystery where the traffic counts came from, straight from airnav.com!

charliefoxtrot

Postby charliefoxtrot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:20 pm

Regards the hobbit-themed Air New Zealand safety brief, they did an eye catching one a few years back that was memorable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mq9HAE62Y

:shock: Kia Ora indeed! All kidding aside, I found AirNZ to be a great airline, even in steerage. Would definitely fly them again.
"Memory believes before knowing remembers." Faulkner

Scofreyjet

Better Late than Never (Re: EP #309)

Postby Scofreyjet » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:30 pm

Oh, well... I finally got the shownotes for Episode 309 done. Ever have one of those fortnights? :oops:
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

nzslackie

Postby nzslackie » Thu May 09, 2013 8:36 pm

Just a couple of corrections/comments on the Mosquito...
It doesn't actually have counter rotating props... they rotate the same way.
You were actually correct... most didn't survive long after the war due to them being made of wood, and rotted away... the one rebuilt in NZ is a rebuild, not a scratch build. It first flew in Canada just after the war... the rebuild one uses engines that were on a NZ Mosquito.

The workmanship in this aircraft has to be seen to be believed... the guys at AvSpecs have done a superb job only matched by the outstanding displays flown in NZ by Dave Phillips and Keith Skilling.

Was very sad to see it packed up and depart for the US... hope to see it this year at Oshkosh (if the EAA and Jerry Yagen come to some agreement!).
Here's to long uplines!

Return to “Episodes”