UCAP episode "Airbii"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

UCAP episode "Airbii"

Postby jackhodgson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:53 pm

New UCAP episode "Airbii" is posted.

This time on UCAP... We've finally got an official FAA Administrator... A European cargo plane that touches down very short... Jeb's tells us about his new EFB tablet computer... And... What really caused the infamous Concorde crash, it may not be what you thought. Uncontrolled Airspace General Aviation Podcast. Recorded January 3, 2013.

http://uncontrolledairspace.com/shownotes/UCAP314

plutocrat03

Re: UCAP episode "Airbii"

Postby plutocrat03 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:32 pm

If you have the opportunity, I believe that RMSs Flitesoft works on the Android tablets. I really liked the way the program runs under Windows.

I will stay with the iPads for now. Nearly bought an iPad mini, but could not accept the lower res display. I am interested with the external devices with integral AHARS. None of which are supported by Foreflight.

Acquisition costs for the tablets and software are low. Providers I am sure, recognize the fickle nature of consumers and have to respond to the market desires. I may be motivated to move to Wingx.

plutocrat03

Postby plutocrat03 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:40 pm

You mentioned crashing your iPad. Have you gotten into the habit of clearing non essential apps from the active memory before flight by double clicking the home button? This produces a list of applications in active memory. Pressing and holding one of the apps listed there changes the mode so that you can erase the non essentials ones from active memory by clicking on the red x.

Theoretically, this allows more available RAM to be available for active program use and reduces the chance of a crash.

I was late to the iPad game so I have more resources in my newer unit than those who have the original units. So far no crashes yet. Some wacky Stratus behavior though.....

ruckin

Postby ruckin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:56 pm

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:42 pm

plutocrat03 wrote:You mentioned crashing your iPad. Have you gotten into the habit of clearing non essential apps from the active memory before flight by double clicking the home button?

Yes, I have. Doesn't seem to have much effect on whether apps (I'm looking at YOU, Safari...) crash or don't. Earlier this morning, I went to update my Foreflight charts, touched "download," and the app promptly dumped me back to the main screen. I immediately restarted it and began the download. While typing this post, I checked its status -- it didn't crash and all new charts are downloaded and available.

Jeb

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:58 pm

That's too fookin' close.

Jeb

Aviator1929

Postby Aviator1929 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 pm

Avweb posted another update on the Mosquito recently. I recommend the video that goes along with it, lots of cool footage! Not sure if you want to let Dave see that one though... ;)

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:14 am

Re the C-160 landing short...

Yes, that angle makes it clear that it touched down too close to the spectators. Wow.

... Jack

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:57 am

Aviator1929 wrote:Avweb posted another update on the Mosquito recently. I recommend the video that goes along with it, lots of cool footage! Not sure if you want to let Dave see that one though... ;)

I found "633 Squadron" on Netflix last night. Except for a couple of scenes clearly involving models, some really cool Mossie footage. Plus, Cliff Robertson, George Chakiris and some Nazi S&M broad who gets bombed...

Jeb

Paulie_P

Postby Paulie_P » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:42 pm

My friends 1/5 scale Westland Wyvern saw a "huge" increase in performance when he added the contra-rotating propellers. Unlike the full scale version, the front propeller isn't connected to anything. The front propeller of his model freewheels in the opposite direction. Here's a youtube video. http://youtu.be/49Yug8rCwdc
Paul Pilipshen - Aviator
You can use my full name. I try not to write anything I wouldn't stand behind.

Return to “Episodes”