UCAP episode "Airbii"

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
nzslackie

Re: UCAP episode "Airbii"

Postby nzslackie » Wed May 08, 2013 9:43 am

Hey guys.... just catching up on UCAP episodes after a bit of time away from the podcast, and I notice you talking about the New Zealand Mossie (that just yesterday made it's first flight in Virginia). The video that accompied the AvWeb story is MINE!! I was lucky enough to to witness the rebuild over the last few years as it was being done in a hangar beside where our aircraft is housed... and on the day of the first flight I happened to call past the hangar as I knew the first flight had to be about to occur (as the aircraft was to be displayed only a couple of days later at an airshow!).

As I arrived it was just starting and I watched it taxi and depart on it's maiden flight. I was standing just a few metres away from Jerry Yagen who was quite emotional when it lifted off for the first time, "It Flys!" he shouted! The Mossie circled Ardmore a few times (a few minor issues with the radio and intercom) before it departed south for the bulk of its test flight. I left the airfield to go to work - I'm a Tower controller at Auckland International Airport (also known as Mangere). As I arrived up in the tower the guys told me that the Mosquito was on finals!! They had had issues with the airspeed indicator and so it was being lead in by the chase plane (a T28 Trojan)... unfortunately I didn't get a chance to grab my video camera before it had touched down! The video above was actually the second flight as it departed for another test sorte to the South before returning again to Auckland and then departing once more back to Ardmore.

We were very lucky here in New Zealand to see the Mosquito fly on many occasions before it left a few months back for it's trip (by sea) to Jerry's base in Virgina. In fact as it was kept in the hangar beside ours it became routine to see it out and about. I know one of the pilots quite well (Dave Phillips) as he owned a share in our Pitts S2B a few years back... his aircraft collection is quite eclectic... he displays a Tiger Moth extremely well, but is probably better known for one of his other aircraft - a Hawker Hunter! It seems that there is a bit of a dispute between the EAA and Jerry Yagen over the funding of the Mosquito and Me262.. which is a shame as I am making the pilgrimage to both the US and AirVenture for the first time this year hoping to see the Kiwi Mossie airborne over Wittman Field flown by Dave!! Fingers are crossed!! Regardless, I'll try and look you guys up when I'm there.

A great thread on the "Kiwi Mossie" is on a local forum, including some fantastic air-to-air photography... http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=popular&action=display&thread=17595. For more of my YouTube Mosquito thread check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1nXR8E6d-k&list=PLkKjA8akUjMOIp21GAUjdsx4OSZa7fNM8
Here's to long uplines!

PilotTim

Postby PilotTim » Tue May 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Jeb wrote:
plutocrat03 wrote:You mentioned crashing your iPad. Have you gotten into the habit of clearing non essential apps from the active memory before flight by double clicking the home button?

Yes, I have. Doesn't seem to have much effect on whether apps (I'm looking at YOU, Safari...) crash or don't. Earlier this morning, I went to update my Foreflight charts, touched "download," and the app promptly dumped me back to the main screen. I immediately restarted it and began the download. While typing this post, I checked its status -- it didn't crash and all new charts are downloaded and available.

Jeb

I'm in the market for a tablet which will be used for aviating as well as for some non aviation purposes. Jeb, since you have experience now with both the IPad and the Android platforms, I'm keenly interested in your opinion of how they compare. Both for the cockpit and the couch. I use some Apple products, IPod and MacBook, but am no fanboy, as evidenced by my Android phone and Linux desktop. Maybe an update in a future episode if not a reply to this thread?

I welcome opinions from others as well, especially those who have experience on both platforms.

Thx
Tim

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Wed May 22, 2013 9:22 am

PilotTim wrote:I'm in the market for a tablet which will be used for aviating as well as for some non aviation purposes. Jeb, since you have experience now with both the IPad and the Android platforms, I'm keenly interested in your opinion of how they compare. Both for the cockpit and the couch. I use some Apple products, IPod and MacBook, but am no fanboy, as evidenced by my Android phone and Linux desktop. Maybe an update in a future episode if not a reply to this thread?

I welcome opinions from others as well, especially those who have experience on both platforms.

Thx
Tim

One caveat: I'm kinda/sorta biased against iOS and toward Android, mainly because iTunes sucks so badly.

Another caveat: My iPad is a 1st-gen model with 64 megs and 3G/internal GPS, so it's heavier and slower than newer ones.

A third caveat: I have a Garmin 396 portable I use with XM Wx to obtain in-flight Nexrad, etc. Works well and I'm used to it.

My last caveat is that I have a Garmin 530 in my panel, so I don't need too much moving-map capability from a portable.

My first thought is that a full-size iPad is too big for constant use in the cockpit. I've previously mounted mine to the Deb's throwover yoke using Ram components but no matter where I put it, it's in the way. When I use it these days, I generally load it up and configure it, then place it on the seat next to me or on the floor, for as-needed reference. I mainly use it for charting, including terminal procedures. I've seen it overheat once, but it's never lost GPS lock or locked up while airborne. My iPad can be sluggish and fail to load some apps, but rebooting it always fixes the problem. So far, it's never soiled the bed while airborne.

My Nexus 7 Android tablet is small enough to mount to the yoke (again using Ram components) without blocking what I consider valuable panel real estate. It, too, has internal GPS but only 32 megs, the max available. It, too, has never lost GPS lock. It's also never overheated, but I haven't had it that long. The Nexus 7 is faster than my iPad, but the iPad is first-gen. Neither are perfect in bright sunlight, but they are readable.

IMHO, the Nexus 7's only Achilles heel is battery life: A four-hour x-country during which it's being used constantly will drain the battery to almost nothing. The same activity with the iPad will leave it at maybe 50 percent. I try to keep them both plugged into ship's power when in use for this reason.

That's the hardware comparison. Both devices do what they're supposed to do in the cockpit without drama. The key, however, is what software you want to run. ForeFlight is the gold standard, IMHO, hands-down. Of course, it's only available for iOS devices, so an apples-to-apples cross-platform comparison isn't possible. Meanwhile, I'm running Garmin Pilot on the Nexus 7. It's a bit quirky and isn't/probably never will be ForeFlight. But it does what I need: Chart storage and retrieval plus backup moving map. Its interface can be confusing and lacks an easy, seamless way to view a DUATs briefing (if it's there, I'm missing it, which says volumes about the interface). For what I need in the cockpit, especially given the Nexus 7's smaller size, I can live with the Garmin Pilot/Nexus combination.

Presently, my iPad's ForeFlight subscription is expired. I'm still debating whether to renew it. That should tell you volumes about these choices.

My gold standard would be ForeFlight on the Nexus 7, especially given the latter's smaller size and faster speed. Perhaps an iPad Mini is the way to go, but I'm not going to by splurging for one in the near future.

HTH, and thanks for asking!

Jeb

Return to “Episodes”