EP#320?????????????

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Biggles71

Re: EP#320?????????????

Postby Biggles71 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:38 pm

JAck,

Believe Air India park at Terminal 4. This chart however is not for the 777, this light twin is too small :lol: Only for A380 and B747800.
Flying was my first love and it will be my last one!

jarheadpilot82

Re: EP#320-Jeb,I agree with you but your logic is incorrect

Postby jarheadpilot82 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:14 pm

Jeb (and Jack and Dave, of course),

I agree with your belief that there is more to the UAV story than meets the eye, and that we just don't know all the facts. However, your logic that this must have occurred over Manhattan because the pilot was headed to one of the 13 runways is incorrect. You mentioned looking at Google Earth, But Approach Plates would have been the better source at which to look. I have attached two approach plates. The first one is for the ILS/LOC to 13L. And, yes, it does put you over the city, or at least Queens at about 1700 feet AGL. The only problem is this - in 20 plus years of flying in and out of JFK and having been based there for the past 3 years, I have never shot this approach. It is available. It is simply never used.

99 times out of 100, you are more likely to fly the VOR/GPS 13L/R that I have also attached. You descent from ASALT intersection so as to cross Canarsie VOR (CRI) at a mandatory altitude of 1500 feet. You are most likely just southeast of CRI at 1700 feet. If you look to the east of that approach corridor, you will see on the chart BROOKLYN CGAS (CLOSED). For you history buffs, I am pretty sure that is the old Floyd Bennett Field, a very famous airfield (In 1938, Howard Hughes took off from there on his record-setting flight around the world. But I digress). Anyway, if you were shooting an approach to the 13L/R runways, in all likelihood you would be just west of Floyd Bennett Field, a perfect place to launch and recover UAV's.

Just a thought...

Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA
Attachments
KJFK_VOR_GPS_13L_R.jpg
The more likely approach to Rwy 13L/R at JFK
KJFK_VOR_GPS_13L_R.jpg (228.48 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
KJFK_ILS_13L.jpg
The only ILS to the 13 Runways - but not used
KJFK_ILS_13L.jpg (239.45 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

champguy

Postby champguy » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:41 am

I'm more worried about what the heck a quadrocopter is doing at fifteen hundred feet and what is controlling it.
Did somebody stick a pin in the up button while eating his sandwich? I go with the rogue secret government agency flying an as yet unknown device to spy on a bunch of kids in a back alley playing spin the bottle.
Between that and the $35 gps jammer on the truck to keep the home office in the dark about an illicit liaison there are so many "threats" out there it boggles the mind.
It is good to remember that there is still cool clean and stable air flowing in off the Pacific with great VFR flying. And somewhere in central Montana is a large area where absolutely no one gives a damn what you do or who you do it with.
Cheers
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:04 am

Any comment about the rumors that Sun N' Fun is less successful than it used to be? I couldn't be there myself this year, but it used to be a great show?

See the Flying Magazine article:

http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/going-direct/slow-times-sun-n-fun?cmpid=enews041213&spPodID=030&spMailingID=17245927&spUserID=NDc4NjI2MjIzNwS2&spJobID=214199640&spReportId=MjE0MTk5NjQwS0
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

Jeb

Re: EP#320-Jeb,I agree with you but your logic is incorrect

Postby Jeb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:33 am

jarheadpilot82 wrote:Jeb (and Jack and Dave, of course),

Anyway, if you were shooting an approach to the 13L/R runways, in all likelihood you would be just west of Floyd Bennett Field, a perfect place to launch and recover UAV's.

Just a thought...

Semper Fi,

Terry Hand
Athens, GA

Thanks, Terry! That's kind of what I was thinking -- without the specific ops/local knowledge, or familiarity with Bennett Field.

I have half a mind to dive into the FBI's bureaucracy with a FOIA on this, but that feeling will probably go away after a nap.

:)

Jeb

Jeb

Postby Jeb » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:58 am

RigaRunner wrote:Any comment about the rumors that Sun N' Fun is less successful than it used to be? I couldn't be there myself this year, but it used to be a great show?

See the Flying Magazine article:

http://www.flyingmag.com/blogs/going-direct/slow-times-sun-n-fun?cmpid=enews041213&spPodID=030&spMailingID=17245927&spUserID=NDc4NjI2MjIzNwS2&spJobID=214199640&spReportId=MjE0MTk5NjQwS0

Yeah...well...

Due to some major personal and professional conflicts, I wasn't able to attend SnF until its last day (yesterday). Which is a poor metric -- Dave especially but Jack also had much more exposure to this year's show than I did, so I'd let them chime in.

That said, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people attending on the show's last day. Yes, by the time I was able to get out and look at parking, etc., there was a lot of wide open space. The exhibit hangars were busy, though, and one name-brand vendor told us his company's on-site sales were up almost 20% over *last year*, adding that those numbers did *not* include his company's latest product, which was first unveiled this week at the show.

Ultimately, I think SnF and OSH are more reflective of the economy's impact on personal-spending decisions than some macro-economic death knell for piston aviation. This industry appears to be doing the best it can to leverage the mix of '30s-era hardware with which it's saddled and current-tech materials, software and networking. That some big names chose to downsize their presence may say more about their lack of new products to announce and desire to keep their powder dry than their relative confidence in the current market. Many of those same big names have new, sexy products sitting on a hard drive, 3-4 years from fruition, awaiting demand.

Demand for their products will improve if/when the macro economic situation improves. Jeb's Unified Economic Theory is people have no jobs and no money, thanks in part to the lack of adults available to run things and a slowly shrinking minority of people who holding economic and cultural progress for the rest of us by the throat and won't let go. We know what needs to be done and how to do it, we just lack the political will.

Unless/until that changes, you'll continue to see relative stagnation in the U.S. economy, which will manifest itself via evolutionary changes in the OSH and SnF sites, in their attendees and among their exhibitors. Maybe they'll go away some day. I don't think I'll live long enough to see that, though.

Jeb

Return to “Episodes”