A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
timothyettridge

Postby timothyettridge » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:56 am

Re: the Cirrus that made it home after the 'chute didn't deploy, this reminded me of an odd comment on human nature learned from the 1979 Fasnet Race, a sailing race from the south of England to Ireland and back. Though the storm that year caused the capsize and death of many sailors, the more telling fact was how many sailors abandoned boats to enter life rafts only to find that, after they'd been rescued and spent the night on shore while the storm died down, their abandoned boast were still blissfully drifting around in the ocean with no one at the helm.

An expression evoled from this. Step UP, not down, into a life raft, i.e., only resort to leaving a boat when a life raft would be doing a better job of floating.

The decision of just when is the right time to abandoned all hope is much easier to define in a boat than an aircraft, I'll admit, but I still wonder what lesson we could learn from this Cirrus pilot.
Save space. Live on the edge.

gmarshall

Re: #328

Postby gmarshall » Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Re: the Cardinal extraction from the roof

Looking at the photo of the 177 as it's being lowered down, the cowl is clearly bent up at a sharp angle. I'm guessing that the strap on the nose of the aircraft (around the crank?) after whatever damage was sustained in the impact caused it to bend upwards.

In fact, I'd wager that the upward bend almost certainly happened *after* the accident, as the doors seems to be reasonably attached to the now buckled firewall of the aircraft. If the doors had been closed, or even if that had happened as the fuselage penetrated the roof, I can't imagine the doors would still be intact like that.

thelaker

Postby thelaker » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:49 pm

Re: Bonanza crash video

The pilot who posted the video (Dale Hemman) died just a couple of weeks ago:

http://juneauempire.com/state/2013-07-0 ... dmpZKywWcI

mrdavedog

Postby mrdavedog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:40 am

A little more detail about the pilot's thought process comes from this thread and the YouTube comment (apparently from a friend who posted the video, grain of salt and all that).

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/sh ... hp?t=59599

If you watch closely you'll notice that after the engine failure I initially began a slight left turn thinking the road would be a good place to land because of obstructions elsewhere. Within a second or so I saw power lines beside the road and turned right to avoid a pistol range and a derelict DC-6 that was straight ahead.

Thus the initial turn to the left and why he didn't just land straight ahead.

Sad to hear he recently died.

msawhill

Postby msawhill » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 am

Long live the Tri-Champ! Jack, you really touched a nerve.

I'm a dedicated tail wheel pilot. I learned to fly powered aircraft in a Cessna 140, and my first solo flight in a tricycle gear aircraft was in a 172 on the trip to my IFR check ride. More than 75% of my time is in tail wheel aircraft, and I'm proud of it.

However, I consider myself fortunate to have access to a friend's Tri-Champ for an occasional evening hop around the patch. Without a doubt, that airplane delivers more smiles/$/mile than anything else I've ever flown, including warbirds and conventional Champs. The novelty is irresistable.

To me, the Tri-Champ stands proud on its funky gear, and its awkward appearance is endearing. But if you think it looks funny on the ground, you should see it in the air: The main gear droop groundward such that the airplane appears to be afraid of heights, desperate to feel the security of terra firma.

In terms of handling, the Tri-Champ rewards pilots who land it like a conventional Champ, but one should be wary of quartering tailwinds during taxi. Bad tendencies in this situation have resulted in many of these airframes finding their way into the shop, only to be cruelly converted to mere "Bi-Champs".

My friend and I have joked around about obtaining a Champion Lancer to accompany the Tri-Champ to flight breakfasts. I can only imagine the satisfaction we'd have in parking those two oddball Champs next to a "normal" Champ and innocently asking the owner "What the heck is that thing?"

A final thought: The Tri-Camp I fly shares hangar space next to a few warbirds, but it has the proud distinction of being the rarest aircraft in the collection. How many Tri-Champs have you seen at Airventure?

M

champguy

Postby champguy » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:28 pm

BeerStop
https://picasaweb.google.com/rhawleyhol ... directlink
We run things a little looser out here in the West. This sort of thing happens every day.
Note to Jack,
The Tri-Champs fly great by all accounts I've heard and the folks who remember them, loved them.
As for the Tri-Pacer, It is a great flying plane. There is a great type-club, "Short Wing Piper Club" and a very loyal following. They require a little more careful handling than the ubiquitous spam cans out there by that other well know manufacturer, but are lighter, more responsive, and outperform the competition.
Cheers to all, Fly safe
See you at OSH real soon.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Sorry Dog

Postby Sorry Dog » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:37 pm

Loved the last episode guys.

It's looks EAA vs. FAA story is getting rather interesting...

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?do=main.textpost&id=4acebfa0-d804-4985-9d4d-8bf76bd3d7e9

My opinion is that complaint filed by EAA has some very strong arguments, and I'll be very interested to see the response by the FAA's legal office.

It's hard not to get politically emotional about this situation. I see this as another example of this administration attempting to make federal regulatory agencies act in a more activist role. There are already solid examples of this happening with the EPA, IRS, and Department of Interior and now the FAA. Maybe the top floor began to feel empowered after more or less winning the sequestration standoff. The big problem with this past initial conflicts that they create is damage done to working relationships between the agencies and the private entities they are supposed to work with. This damage will linger past the tenure of the current appointments.

What I would be curious to know, is if administrators are testing their boundaries of their own accord or if they are being encouraged by executive staff members. I'm not trying to Obama bash here as the Bush administration had history abuses as well....think of the Justice Department. It just seems as if the trend continues our faith in competency of these agencies is destined to reach a new low just when you didn't think it was possible.

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:59 am

I found the legal challenge compelling, good luck with it.
I've been involved with a legal effort to bring a case against a government entity. After five years, unrelated procedural issues made it to the State Supreme Court which sent the whole case back to the original Court to start over. In about two more years we may get an answer. Fun Hey what?
Remember, we have a Legal System, not a Justice System.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:53 am

@EEA: Millions for Defense, Not One Cent for Tribute!
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

Return to “Episodes”