Most iconic movie aircraft

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Most iconic movie aircraft

Postby jackhodgson » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:30 am

In UCAP 335 we review a list: "THE MOST ICONIC AIRCRAFT IN FILM HISTORY" from the chapman-freeborn.com blog.

http://www.chapman-freeborn.com/blog/th ... m-history/

In the ep we add some aircraft of our own to the list. What ones would you add?

EXTRA CREDIT: In the ep we were also wondering about movies where an airplane was the title character. ie the nickname or model id was in the title. eg: Memphis Belle or Flight of the Intruder.

// Jack

cozy171bh

Re: Most iconic movie aircraft

Postby cozy171bh » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:49 pm

Air Force One, starring Harrison Ford.

For the movie, they used a 747 from Kalitta Air Cargo to star as Air Force One:

http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today ... e-One.html

Apparently, the escape pod was pure fiction.....

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:35 pm

Do call-signs count? If they do, then Bat*21 would make the list.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

champguy

Postby champguy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:28 pm

I'm not organized enough to include movie starring roles, but the DC3/C-47 and the PBY Catalina were the workhorses that first crossed all the oceans and changed the world.
And no mention of the Cessna T-50, Songbird of Sky King fame, really? or were you all in love with/looking at Penny.
Last edited by champguy on Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Aviator1929

Postby Aviator1929 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:14 pm

I second the PBY! Remember that opening scene from Always? The Standard J-1 that was part of the Tallmantz collection should make the list. Also, Tiger Moths were frequent stunt doubles for WWI fighters on screen. They flew for both sides in The Blue Max with different paint schemes. If I remember right, it was also a Moth that performed the ditching scene in Waldo Pepper...

Scofreyjet

Postby Scofreyjet » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:55 pm

Here are two more movies with aircraft names as the title, culled from the old UCAP Wiki Aviation Movies list.

Spirit of St. Louis (1957) about Lindbergh's famous flight.

Spitfire (1942, originally titled "The First of the Few") is a biopic about the designer of the Spitfire.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

dfortnam

Postby dfortnam » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:49 am

The discussion of the C119 brought back a lot of memories for me. My dad was an air force pilot and flew B17's in WW2. After the war, he remained in the air force reserve and flew C119's for several years from Grenier Field in Manchester, NH (now Manchester-Boston Regional Airport - MHT). He flew troops and cargo everywhere including troop and cargo air drops. On one occasion, he was able to arrange a flight for my Boy Scout Troop in one of the C119's. It was quite an experience.

Doug

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:18 am

Doug, You've flown in a C-119. Very cool.

// Jack

MerlinFAC

Postby MerlinFAC » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:19 pm

I have to put in a vote for the B-25 Mitchell bomber. It starred in Catch 22, and just about every movie concerning the Doolittle raid... Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo, Pearl Harbor, I think it was in Fat Boy & Little Boy. Plus (unknown to the general public), it made many movie shots possible as a modified glass-nosed B-25 was the main camera ship used by Tallmantz Aviation.

I also vote for the Spitfire as iconic... in fact, it's possible that it's the most iconic aircraft ever, in any respect, due to it's real combat history, instant recognizability to the man on the street, beautiful design, and for the real positive effect that it's very existence had upon the Zeitgeist of society during a very, very dark time in history. Rarely has any single machine been so closely identified with the fundamental identity of an entire nation, especially in a positive way. As for movies, there are almost too many to list, but The Battle of Britain is very well-known of course.

A final plane I'd suggest is the Beech 18. Lots and lots of movies over lots and lots of years featured variants of the Twin Beech, sometimes in a starring role and sometimes just as background, but always recognizable. Not usually terribly glamorous, but certainly widespread. I even saw one in Letters From Iwo Jima playing the part of a Japanese military transport.

DJTorrente

Postby DJTorrente » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:39 pm

Aviator1929 wrote:I second the PBY! Remember that opening scene from Always? The Standard J-1 that was part of the Tallmantz collection should make the list. Also, Tiger Moths were frequent stunt doubles for WWI fighters on screen. They flew for both sides in The Blue Max with different paint schemes. If I remember right, it was also a Moth that performed the ditching scene in Waldo Pepper...

Not a title character per se, but I still remember "Tales of the Gold Money", a briefly lived early 80's series about a pilot flying his Grumman seaplane in the South Pacific.
"Good Rock... Welcome to Oshkosh"
AirVenture 2019: July 22-28 http://www.airventure.org

Like they say in baseball, there's always next year.

-DJTorrente

Return to “Episodes”