"Primary Target" UCAP #352

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

"Primary Target" UCAP #352

Postby jackhodgson » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:58 pm

New UCAP episode "Primary Target" is posted. http://uncontrolledairspace.com/shownotes/UCAP352

Fish strike... OFLOTW... Snow bank incursions at Alton Bay... ATC save in Austin... Seattle chopper tragedy... Burmese Spitfires, continued... MH370... UCAP at Sun n Fun... Shoutouts. All this and more on the Uncontrolled Airspace General Aviation Podcast. Recorded March 18, 2014. Alt title: "Asian Carp Attack!"

(Eps 350 & 351 coming soon.)

Scofreyjet

Re: "Primary Target" UCAP #352

Postby Scofreyjet » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:48 am

How soon we forget...

Episode #301 included a segment on birdstrike identification, going so far as to name the Episode "Snarge" (the term for what's left of the bird on or in the airplane.)

Unfortunately, someone (probably me) messed up the related link in the EP 301 notes - but here's the JetWhine post it should have pointed to: http://www.jetwhine.com/2012/07/bird-strike-investigators-want-your-snarge/

I always get a kick out of the fact that one of the primary investigators at the Feather Identification Lab is named Carla Dove.

But I'm easily amused...
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

turbo

Postby turbo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:13 pm

i am saving #352 for the flight home from here. see ya all at benson days and sun n fun.
ImageImageImage
summers s. windsor, ct/ winters stuart, fl RV-6/ R-44 / Gyroplane "The government is a body of people notably ungoverned." Image

champguy

Postby champguy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Interesting that two of you voted that the missing jet was taken "somewhere" and will turn up in time. I hope you are right, or our children will still be talking about this in sixty years.
I have friends who flat do not believe that the Government doesn't know the truth and for reasons unknown at this time is just not telling us. I personally have less faith that the Government does indeed know everything, or that it could keep a secret as juicy as this.
Time will tell, one hopes.
I just hope that it doesn't next appear flying at low level up the Hudson.
Remember, not all who wander, are lost.

Landis

Postby Landis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:03 pm

champguy wrote:I have friends who flat do not believe that the Government doesn't know the truth and for reasons unknown at this time is just not telling us. I personally have less faith that the Government does indeed know everything, or that it could keep a secret as juicy as this.

I always find it interesting that my friends who fully embrace the conspiracy theories that our government and others are able to keep massive secrets and pull off mind-bogglingly complex scenarios are also the same people who believe that the government is inept and incompetent.

taildrgr_b

Postby taildrgr_b » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:19 pm

Jack made a comment about the possibility of snakes on a plane, and I had to think of the AOPA "Real Pilot Story" where that actually happened to a guy in a cherokee. It's a pretty good tale about flying the airplane no matter what happens. You have to be logged in to AOPA, but you can find it here:

http://flash.aopa.org/asf/pilotstories/snake/index.cfm?keycode=FX07CRS&offercode=FX07CRS

RigaRunner

Postby RigaRunner » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:02 pm

Jack,
Are you aware that because of slippery conditions caused by melt on top of the ice, several planes at Alton Bay this year had trouble on the runway, including a pretty bad crack up of N12979, a Fisher Dakota Hawk. I think a Cirrus might have suffered too.

There's a picture at https://www.cirruspilots.org/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/233/Alton-Bay_5F00_2014-03-08_5F00_0674_5F00_edited_2D00_4.png

It is apparently very hard to judge -- visually -- runway braking action when you have water on a snow-covered surface.
A commercial pilot, IFR rated, who flies a Cirrus SR22 out of JYO.

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Postby jackhodgson » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:40 pm

Riga Runner,

Yes I had heard that. I know we mentioned it on an ep, but it may have been the recent ep that got delayed and will be coming out next week sometime.

// Jack

Return to “Episodes”