"Bowing Boeing" UCAP #342

A place to post misc. feedback to individual eps.
Forum rules
We'd love to have you Reply to posts in this Forum, but please don't create new Topics here. One exception: If we haven't created a thread for a particular episode, feel free to get it started. For other subjects, I suggest creating new Topics in Virtual Hangar=>Other Topics. Thanks.
Greg Bockelman

"Bowing Boeing" UCAP #342

Postby Greg Bockelman » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 pm

It's been awhile since I have been around and I hope to remedy that in the future. Having said that:

I know it is a bit old but I have a comment, well several, about episode 342. It seems like "Deja Vu All Over Again". A little bit of knowledge . . .

Normal crosswind landings in a Boeing 777 are normally accomplished much like any GA airplanes. Initial final approach is done in a crab and a transition to a slip is accomplished somewhere on final. Exactly where on final is a function of how much crosswind there is.

Having said that, in strong crosswinds, there is a possibility of dragging some airframe parts on the ground. That is not a desirable thing. The Boeing 777 is certified for landings in as much as 45 knots of direct crosswind. The crews, at least at the airline I am familiar with, are trained to land in a slip up to 30 knots of direct crosswind and a combination of slip and crab above 30 knots. If you have ever looked at the landing gear of the 777 you will see that it is massive. It was designed for this sort of technique.

A couple of things about go arounds. The new generation engines in fact do have a shorter spool up time as compared to the early turbojets. It isn't quite instantaneous, but it is much better than the older engines. Also, it is acceptable, if a go around is initiated late in the approach, for the airplane to touch down on the runway. And lastly, the TOGA switches are not on the ends of the throttles, as Jeb mentioned. Those are the autothrottle disconnect switches. The TOGA buttons are on the front side of the throttle levers. They are engaged with a push from one's forefinger.

To answer Jeb's question, I think I answered it, but we don't want to start the slip TOO early because of passenger comfort. But a lot of that has to do with the pilot technique. Some like the crab and kick method, some like the wing low slip method. As far as more control goes, I am not sure that is much of a problem.

FYI, it takes a hell of a lot of wind to run out of rudder on a crosswind landing.

Dave, there is a difference between runway heading and runway track. If the pilot kept the same crab heading, he was maintaining runway track.

Anyway, keep it up

Greg

Scofreyjet

Re: "Bowing Boeing" UCAP #342

Postby Scofreyjet » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 pm

Hi Greg - it was great to log in and see your name next to a recent posting. (I've been absent for the last couple of weeks myself...)

Thanks for the great feedback on UCAP342. In one of those many small world coincidences I seem to be encountering lately, the most recent couple of episodes (111 & 112*) of the "AirlinePilotGuy" podcast had discussions of crosswind techniques from various perspectives. Interesting to see yours on the "hybrid" approach that intentionally includes some crab at touchdown in the higher xwind range.

Look forward to seeing your comments here more often!

* I listened to 112 this morning, which is the "coincidence" part.
Jeff Ward
I love things with wings!
Scofreyjet on Twitter

jackhodgson
Site Admin
Location: Lookout Point, Nottingham, NH / Nashua Airport (ASH)

Re: "Bowing Boeing" UCAP #342

Postby jackhodgson » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm

Greg,

Thanks for your insights here. That's pretty interesting, and we may talk more about this in a future ep.

// Jack

Return to “Episodes”